Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to recognise the silent letters in the Qur'an?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to recognise the silent letters in the Qur'an?

Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah,

I have managed to learn most of the Arabic alphabet and the harakat (dammah, kasrah, fathah etc), but when I try to read the Qur'an and then listen to a recitation of it, I notice that they don't pronounce some of the letters.
    So like the title states how do I identify and recognise the silent letters?

Jazakallah khair, any help is appreciated.

Re: How to recognise the silent letters in the Qur'an?

Originally posted by Kazhium View Post
    Salaamu alaikum wa rahmatullah,

I have managed to learn most of the Arabic alphabet and the harakat (dammah, kasrah, fathah etc), but when I try to read the Qur'an and then listen to a recitation of it, I notice that they don't pronounce some of the letters.
    So like the title states how do I identify and recognise the silent letters?

Jazakallah khair, any help is appreciated.
    Wa Laikum Asalaam Wr Wb Bro,

The letters Click image for larger version

Name:	alif wao yay.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	10746441 are silent (not read) when they are followed by a letter with a ‘sukun’ or ‘tashdeed’ on them. They have no sign (fatha, kasra, dhamma or sukun) on them and are not pronounced or read eg:

Click image for larger version

Name:	silent alif.png
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	10746442

The ‘alif’ has no sign on it therefore it is not pronounced. The word would read as ‘bismi’

Name:	wansur.png
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	10746443

The ‘alif’ has no sign on it therefore it is not pronounced. It does not elongate the ‘waw’ to ‘waa’. The ‘waw’ joins to the ‘nun with sukun’ and would read as ‘wansur’ and not ‘waansur’.

The Click image for larger version

Name:	alif wao yay.png
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	10746441 appear in different formats in the Holy Qur’an.

Comment

The first line has words with the ‘silent letters’ and the second line shows you how to pronounce these words.

- ‘Alif Maksura’ - The ي without a vowel at the end of some words - The ‘Ya’ is silent and not read

Name:	alif maksura.png
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	10746444

- The ‘alif’ (with no sign on it) at the end of some words - The ‘alif’ is silent and is not pronounced.

Name:	no sign alif.png
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	10746445

- An ‘alif’ (with no sign on it) between two letters – the first letter bearing a long vowel and the second letter bearing a ‘sukun’ – The ‘alif’ is silent and is not pronounced. (It also does not lengthen the
      long vowel of the first letter).

Name:	alif between two letters.png
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	10746446

- The ‘waw’ (with no sign on it ) in some words – The ‘waw’ is silent and not pronounced.

Name:	waw.png
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	10746447

Word Examples

Name:	example words.png
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	10746448

Try Surah Alam Nashrah, Insha Allah that will help you remember the rules.

May Allah make it easy for you and guide all of us towards the right path. Ameen

Comment

baarakallahu feek akhi, May Allah swt reward you with good.

Comment

Working...
        X