Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find the answer to this question

As-Salamu 'alaykum wa rahmatuLlahi ta'aala wa barakatuh bros and sis,

BismiLlah. I was talking to an atheist (and consequently performing Da'wah) about how religion makes me feel, the (positively) weird, great, never-felt-before happiness I feel when I go through a period in which really I practice every single aspect of Islam, and so on.
    But then, he said: "Well, it doesn't really demonstrate anything. Just because something makes you feel happy, it doesn't mean anything. If it's good for you, fine then."

And strangely, I didn't know how to reply. Later, I reflected; and I thought that if, for istance, I take a pill and it doesn't make me feel better, it's because there is nothing inside it that would be able to heal me or anything. Though this confused me a little bit more (hahah, oh gosh XD). Also, the atheist could reply that "placebo effect does exist, you know?".

What do you think about this?

Jazakom Allahu khairan!

Re: Can't find the answer to this question

Anyone? :) please ^^

Comment

wa'alakumsalaam

claiming your religion is true because it changed your life can’t be on its own a sound criterion, because then other religions must also be true because they too have changed peoples’ lives. In fact, even someone who has decided to believe that there is no Creator at all might make the same claim that he or she used to follow a religion and now they don’t, and they are more happy and free! As the saying goes, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. If it’s true for one it mus tbe true for the other also So these are all mere claims. Claims need to be proven.
      So true religion, should have some I.D. It should have some markers through which and by which we can know thatits origin is from the Creator.

read rest here.:

http://www.onereason.org/order-mater...nderpants-pdf/

Comment

Originally posted by Umar_ View Post
        wa'alakumsalaam

claiming your religion is true because it changed your life can’t be on its own a sound criterion, because then other religions must also be true because they too have changed peoples’ lives. In fact, even someone who has decided to believe that there is no Creator at all might make the same claim that he or she used to follow a religion and now they don’t, and they are more happy and free! As the saying goes, what’s good for the goose is good for the gander. If it’s true for one it mus tbe true for the other also So these are all mere claims. Claims need to be proven.
        So true religion, should have some I.D. It should have some markers through which and by which we can know thatits origin is from the Creator.

read rest here.:

http://www.onereason.org/order-mater...nderpants-pdf/
        Thanks for replying. I'm reading it right now, I will let you know in sha Allah. Thank you very much, brother!

Comment

Originally posted by safyyah View Post
          As-Salamu 'alaykum wa rahmatuLlahi ta'aala wa barakatuh bros and sis,

BismiLlah. I was talking to an atheist (and consequently performing Da'wah) about how religion makes me feel, the (positively) weird, great, never-felt-before happiness I feel when I go through a period in which really I practice every single aspect of Islam, and so on.
          But then, he said: "Well, it doesn't really demonstrate anything. Just because something makes you feel happy, it doesn't mean anything. If it's good for you, fine then."

And strangely, I didn't know how to reply. Later, I reflected; and I thought that if, for istance, I take a pill and it doesn't make me feel better, it's because there is nothing inside it that would be able to heal me or anything. Though this confused me a little bit more (hahah, oh gosh XD). Also, the atheist could reply that "placebo effect does exist, you know?".

What do you think about this?

Jazakom Allahu khairan!
          Religion isn't based in emotion, it's based in truth. No matter how it makes you feel, it's the truth. Some people get horribly angry when they read Qur'an, and Allah describes them as people who hate the truth. Allah says those that are close to Him, the Qur'an is a comfort to them. But either way, no matter how you feel, the truth remains the same, and we will still face Allah the same regardless of how we "feel" about things.

The atheist's view is also an emotional one, although he doesn't see it. Love for the dunya corrupts hearts. May Allah guide him.

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
            Religion isn't based in emotion, it's based in truth. No matter how it makes you feel, it's the truth. Some people get horribly angry when they read Qur'an, and Allah describes them as people who hate the truth. Allah says those that are close to Him, the Qur'an is a comfort to them. But either way, no matter how you feel, the truth remains the same, and we will still face Allah the same regardless of how we "feel" about things.

The atheist's view is also an emotional one, although he doesn't see it. Love for the dunya corrupts hearts. May Allah guide him.
            JazakAllahu khairan ukhti! Thank you for replying. I see what you mean & I agree with you.
            Though my problem is that Shaytaan (a'udhubiLlah) tries in every possible way to whisper evil things so that he can distract me, to put doubts in my mind about the 'truth' you just mentioned - because otherwise, since I wouldn't ever doubt anything about Islam, I'd be really religious. And he would have failed.

Btw: right now, I'm reading the link brother Umar_ posted, and... ma sha Allah, it makes everything so much clearer! :)

Comment

JazakAllahu khairan ukhti! Thank you for replying. I see what you mean & I agree with you.
              Though my problem is that Shaytaan (a'udhubiLlah) tries in every possible way to whisper evil things so that he can distract me, to put doubts in my mind about the 'truth' you just mentioned - because otherwise, since I wouldn't ever doubt anything about Islam, I'd be really religious. And he would have failed.

Btw: right now, I'm reading the link brother Umar_ posted, and... ma sha Allah, it makes everything so much clearer! :)
              :jkk:

Allah told us to stay away from what causes us doubts, and the Prophet(saw) told us to run from things that cause fitna as if it were a plague. You should not be talking to atheists if your imaan is suffering and waswas from shaytan is affecting you. He will misguide you and only make it worse. Especially because he is a male, and the Prophet(Saw) said when a man and woman are together then shaytan is a third between them.

:salams

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
                :jkk:

Allah told us to stay away from what causes us doubts, and the Prophet(saw) told us to run from things that cause fitna as if it were a plague. You should not be talking to atheists if your imaan is suffering and waswas from shaytan is affecting you. He will misguide you and only make it worse. Especially because he is a male, and the Prophet(Saw) said when a man and woman are together then shaytan is a third between them.

:salams
                Jazak Allahu khairan again dear ukhty :)
                But then, I ask myself: wait, doesn't this sound like someone/something used to brainwash you and make you believe what someone else want you to?
                And then I don't know how to answer this to myself. So I just try to not to think about it, though it solves nothing.

Comment

Jazak Allahu khairan again dear ukhty :)
                  But then, I ask myself: wait, doesn't this sound like someone/something used to brainwash you and make you believe what someone else want you to?
                  And then I don't know how to answer this to myself. So I just try to not to think about it, though it solves nothing.
                  Wa iyaki ukhti, it's a direct order from Allah. When something affects our imaan, we are required to run from it. If it's confusing or hurting your imaan, then leave it. Perhaps with more education in the deen, you will tackle that problem at a later time. But without ilm, then these things can misguide us. Nobody is safe from that. And shaytan loves to play with your nafs and put bad thoughts into your head, so seek refuge in Allah from him. This is a good motivation to learn more about your deen! :)

"O you who believe! Ask not about things which, if made plain to you, may cause you trouble. But if you ask about them while the Quran is being revealed, they will be made plain to you. Allah has forgiven that, and Allah is Oft*Forgiving, Most Forbearing". [Qur'an 5:101]

Leave that which causes you doubt for that which does not cause you doubt. For in truthfulness lies tranquility, and in lying lies doubt.” [Reported by Al-Hasan b. Ali, in At-Tirmidhi]

Comment

wa alaikum salaam,

Just because it makes you feel better it doesn't mean it is true e.g. some people claim homosexuality is not a disease and it is natural by saying it makes them feel good.
                    That would be subjective, be objective in your approach, based on facts and evidence e.g. The Qur'an cannot be imitated and outside the nutural capacity human beings, and we haven't got the ability write something smilliar therefore it is a miracle, "And if ye are in doubt concerning that which We reveal unto Our slave (Muhammad), then produce a surah of the like thereof, and call your witness beside Allah if ye are truthful." 2:23.

Ask them where they get their morals from, because they get it from social pressure and evolution. Social pressure e.g. a hundred or two hundred years ago if you asked an atheist if homosexuality was alight or not they would of replied its an abomination, but now they say it's natural, (it changes, no anchor point), and evolution e.g. we are all no different that animals that go out and kill eachother, hence it was this kind of mentality that killed millions of innocents is Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan, Hiroshima etc. Everything about their beliefs are objective.

Jazakallah khair.

And Allah Knows Best.

Comment

Deleted post.
                      Last edited by Qualia; 29-11-14, 05:47 PM.
                      If a cobra feels threatened, it arches its back, flares its hood, and tries scaring you away. Keep coming, then it'll try to spit in your eye to blind you. Still keep coming, then it'll kill you.

Comment

:wswrwb:

The one thing about Islam is monotheism the belief in one God. Of course it demonstrates something. Someone who believes in Oneness of God compared to someone who believes in Polytheism (many gods), or even someone who doesn't believe in any god. It is not at all correlated with your state of feeling, like happiness or sadness. Some muslims do experience trial and tribulation, and they are not happy at all, but because they understand that Allah has decreed this for them, they feel content with it. What you need to explain to your atheist friend is that there is a Higher Power who rules everything in this world. And the one who can accept and submit to it is the luckiest from all. I would rather say that someone who is a muslim (who submits to Allah) is someone who can set aside his/her own ego and admit that he/she is just a tiny little creation in this earth.
                        ~ Don’t trade a house in Jannah :insha:, for a lowly house in this transient world ~

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it (61 : 8)

Comment

Working...
                        X