Newly converted to Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newly converted to Islam

Last week me and my family said our shahdah and embraced Islam as our religion and now we are officially Muslims, It was our friends who lived at our street who convinced us and talked us into exploring Islam and accepting it as our path of life. My husband became interested in reverting to Islam and as a loyal wife I followed suit along with our daughters. We said our shahdaha At our local mosque while our whole community witnessed the ceremony, we said our shahdaha . I have received my new Islamic name Zayneb Nasriyah. I now pray 5 times a day and starting to stick to halal in whatever I do.i have couple of things I would like to ask*

1.As we were Hindus before we had a Hindu wedding , as a symbol of our marraige I received a thaali which tied around my neck(it is a thick gold chain )and toe rings which were placed on my toes. *Currently I am still wearing them , as now i have embraced Islam am I allowed to wear them. I want to wear them because it was my symbol of marraige and it is supposed to be worn as long as my husband is beside me

2. As for clothing I am supposed to start wearing the niqab and cover my self completely *,but I am yet to start covering my self, I am unable to decide what to wear to cover my self because there are so many options, like a hijab, khimar and others.our friends told me to explore my options before deciding what to wear to cover my self.What will be the best clothing ?

Re: Newly converted to Islam

Originally posted by Tharshini View Post
    Last week me and my family said our shahdah and embraced Islam as our religion and now we are officially Muslims, It was our friends who lived at our street who convinced us and talked us into exploring Islam and accepting it as our path of life. My husband became interested in reverting to Islam and as a loyal wife I followed suit along with our daughters. We said our shahdaha At our local mosque while our whole community witnessed the ceremony, we said our shahdaha . I have received my new Islamic name Zayneb Nasriyah. I now pray 5 times a day and starting to stick to halal in whatever I do.i have couple of things I would like to ask*

1.As we were Hindus before we had a Hindu wedding , as a symbol of our marraige I received a thaali which tied around my neck(it is a thick gold chain )and toe rings which were placed on my toes. *Currently I am still wearing them , as now i have embraced Islam am I allowed to wear them. I want to wear them because it was my symbol of marraige and it is supposed to be worn as long as my husband is beside me

2. As for clothing I am supposed to start wearing the niqab and cover my self completely *,but I am yet to start covering my self, I am unable to decide what to wear to cover my self because there are so many options, like a hijab, khimar and others.our friends told me to explore my options before deciding what to wear to cover my self.What will be the best clothing ?
    Bindi or tika : Bindi is derived from the sanskrit word bindu, which means a ‚€˜dot‚€™. It is usually a red dot made with vermilion powder and is worn by the Hindu women between their eyebrows on their forehead.

Bindi is considered a symbol of ‚€˜Parvati‚€™ and signifies female energy which is believed by Hindus to protect women and their husbands. It is traditionally a symbol of marriage and is worn by the Hindu married women. It is also called as tika.

2. Bindi has become a fashion : Nowadays, wearing bindi has become a fashion and is even worn by unmarried girls and women. The shape of the bindi is no longer restricted to a dot and is available in various shapes, including oval, star, heart shaped, etc. It is even available in different bright colours like blue, green, yellow, orange, etc. The material of the bindi is no longer restricted to vermilion powder, but is made of coloured felt and other material. It is also available in a variety of designs in combination with coloured glass, glitter, etc.

3. Mangalsutra : Mangalsutra means a thread of good-will. It is a necklace worn specially by Hindu married women as a symbol of their marriage. It consists of two strings of black beads with a pendant usually of gold. The black beads are believed to act as a protection against evil. It is believed to protect the women‚€™s marriage and the life of her husband. In southern India, mangalsutra is called tali, which is a small gold ornament string on a cotton cord or a gold chain.

Hindu Married women are never supposed to remove their mangalsutra. It is only cut off when a Hindu lady becomes a widow.

4. Allah Is the Protector : Allah ((Subhana wa taaala).), our Creator, is the best to protect human beings. We do not require any red dot or black thread to protect us from evil. It is mentioned in the Glorius Quran in Surah Anam Chapter 6 verse 14 : "Say: Shall I take for my protector any other than Allah, the Maker of the heavens and the earth?" : [Al-Quran 6:14]

It is mentioned in several places in the Glorius Quran including

Surah Ali Imran Chapter 3 Verse 150 and Surah Alhajj Chapter 22 Verse 78
    "Allah is your Protector, and He is the best of helpers."

Wearing a bindi or mangalsutra signifies a lack of faith in Almighty God, our Creator, who is the best to protect.

5. Against the Islamic Dress Code : Wearing a bindi or mangalsutra is a sign of Hindu women. The Islamic dress code does not permit a Muslim to wear any sign, symbol or mark which is specially significant of a non-Muslim.

6. In Islam, Both Married and Unmarried women should not be Teased : Once, a Hindu friend of mine, while mentioning the benefits of mangalsutra said that it easily identifies a married women, and thus prevents them from being teased and molested. According to Islam, each and every woman, whether married or unmarried, Muslim or Non-Muslim, should neither be teased nor molested.

I think you should remove them just to be on the safe side and get married again in the Mosque.
    Last edited by Arianna_101; 30-03-14, 10:00 AM.

Comment

:wswrwb: welcome to islam sis...no you cant wear the locket you described and the red tika....you ve to dress modestly too unlike sarhis...although those sarhis that cover fully can be worn...The most happiness i find when a hindu or sikh converts to islam...leaving behind idols or images.May Allah keep you all stead fast on deen amin.
      ".......He giveth and spendeth (of His bounty) as He pleaseth. But the revelation that cometh to thee from Allah increaseth in most of them (kuffar) their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy.Amongst them we have placed enmity and hatred till the Day of Judgment. Every time they kindle the fire of war, Allah doth extinguish it;but they (ever) strive to do mischief on earth. And Allah loveth not those who do mischief."(5:64)

Comment

SubhanaAllah, I'm so happy for you & your family sister! And you have a beautiful new name too, mashaAllah :)

To answer your questions:

1) You don't need to throw it away of course, but it's best to no longer wear it. I'm sure your husband will understand. In Islam, as you know, such symbols similar to other religions don't sit well. :) You don't need a symbol to symbolise your love for your husband. In Islam, your actions and speech towards your husband is sufficient in showing your love for him.

2) Don't rush yourself, at least you acknowledge that you should cover yourself. Baby steps. Start wearing long-sleeved tops, long skirts, baggy-less-tight clothing, cover your skin...And then when you're ready for a hijab, cover your hair with a headscarf that covers your bosom. And that's it :) You can wear an abaya if you want but you don't need to. As long as your clothes aren't skin tight and your hair is completely covered. It's also best to stick to long skirts as they don't shape your legs like trousers/jeans do. But as I said, baby steps. And of course, there's niqab, if you want to wear it, go ahead! (:

May Allah, the Most Merciful, bless you, your husband and your daughters with lifelong happiness in this life, keep your steadfast on the straight path and grant your family an eternity in Jannah (Heaven). Ameen.

:up: take care, I'll do dua for you sister.
        Last edited by Hejazi.Girl; 30-03-14, 11:27 PM.
        أمي.... علمتني كل الأشياء الجميلة في الحياة

Comment

well in islam there is concept of Mahr, Quran 4:4 "Give women their dowry as an outright gift"

and in the bukhari hadith ""It is related from Sahl ibn Sa'd that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said to a man, "Marry, even with only an iron ring."

here the Prophet SAW stated about ring as mahr, and a ring to be given to a bride was a Roman tradition, and this was accepted in islam

so IMO you can considered the thaali and toe rings as Mahr from your husband, and there is no prohibition for muslimah for wearing jewelery

the important thing here is never think the jewelery can mystically generate love or such, this might be considered as Shirk

but to be safe Ask the local scholar for this, and i recommend not just one scholar

Allah Swt Knows Best
          Last edited by Arashim; 31-03-14, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I've not heard of 'thaali' before. If it is the same thing as a mangalsutra then you'll need to remove it as it came from a ritual integral to another religion. I don't know about toe rings.

I'm a bit concerned about you. How do you feel about becoming a muslimah? How do you feel about leaving the religion of your parents? How have your family (ie parents and siblings) reacted?

You said something like "my neighbours talked us into it". Islam isn't something you're talked into, the way a parent is talked into giving into a stubborn toddler's demand for more icecream. It is something people embrace when they are convinced by it and know it to be true. I'm concerned because you give the impression that your husband is convinced but you're still not sure, but just going along with it to keep your marriage together. Please forgive me if I'm mistaken- it's just something about your post gave me that impression.
            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Working...
            X