• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nulbreaker
    replied
    Re: Teaching in the Middle East

Originally posted by rainbow*~ View Post
    I want to own property in Saudi, how do I do this? I swear only Arabs can :scratch:
    Wrong. My brother owns two houses and I believe business premises. There isn't demand to own property as most people rent. The government relaxed legislation a few years ago to encourage the market. I'm sure there are some conditions but if you are in the region long enough you can buy BUT why would you? Rent is cheap, your employer pays it. Save your money for your kids.

http://www.ibtimes.com/saudis-allow-...s-tight-262973

Leave a comment:

• rainbow*~
    replied

Originally posted by Nulbreaker View Post
    RUBBISH. Not one of my friends or my brother, who owns property in Saudi, have said they have had problems with racism but then they don't speak like they're fresh off the boat and took the trouble to learn Arabic.
    I want to own property in Saudi, how do I do this? I swear only Arabs can :scratch:

Leave a comment:

• Nulbreaker
    replied

Originally posted by firestar101 View Post
    I was thinking of becoming a chemistry teacher in the middle east. I could be in demand there seeing as I am well educated in my field.

I should seriously think of doing teaching there.

But, how would you be able to go there without a mahram ( a male guardian), as it is not allowed for you to go on your own, unless you have a husband
    You don't. Stop doing things backwards. Get married then work. Women find work through or because of their husbands. Money should not be your motivation. The UAE is a region built on greed, they want the tourist dollar which is why you see so many of the most appalling people from the West holidaying there. Go to Saudi.

Leave a comment:

• Nulbreaker
    replied

Originally posted by LionKhan View Post
    I would suggest that if your not an arab then Please do not loCate to an arab country especially if your South Asian. There is a lot of racism in these countries unfortunately
    RUBBISH. Not one of my friends or my brother, who owns property in Saudi, have said they have had problems with racism but then they don't speak like they're fresh off the boat and took the trouble to learn Arabic.

Leave a comment:

• Nulbreaker
    replied

How much can you earn?
    A few years ago it was something like £20 an hour and that's a base salary. The work was in 4 hour blocks. You can make more teaching privately, once you start of course. There is NO comparison between working here and working in Saudi because if you find the right employer they pay your rent. All you have to pay is electricity, food and internet.

Leave a comment:

• Nafs al Tawabah
    replied

For those interested in international teaching here are two good sites

http://www.cois.org
    http://www.searchassociates.com

You'll probably need some teaching experience and definitely references. You have to register, I personally use Search Associates and it's quite nifty. They hold annual fairs for recruitment a few times a year.

For reviews on schools use this site and take it with a pinch of salt as most people that review have usually had a less then good experience but it's still useful. You will need to register to use it - its like $30 or something for a year.

http://www.internationalschoolsreview.com

Good luck all and let me know if you want any other info - I'll try my best to help.

Leave a comment:

• Nafs al Tawabah
    replied

Originally posted by firestar101 View Post
    I was thinking of becoming a chemistry teacher in the middle east. I could be in demand there seeing as I am well educated in my field.

But, how would you be able to go there without a mahram ( a male guardian), as it is not allowed for you to go on your own, unless you have a husband
    Yeh, chemistry is almost always in demand and if you have experience in the field even better! Teaching is a rewarding career and it benefits (esp science) people from all over the world and helps them understand/view the world in a new way.

My male guardian situation is complex - I don't have one and I need to work! In sha Allah I'll get married soon and sort this situation out until then I need to pay bills and support myself and family.

Leave a comment:

• firestar101
    replied

Originally posted by Nafs al Tawabah View Post
    I'm in talks at the moment with a school in the UAE. I teach secondary physics and have 2yrs experience. The new trend in the Middle East (as I've been looking since last year) is that the MoE is looking for people that have a degree in the subject being taught on top of that a PGCE or equivalent.

I was in talks with a school in Saudi and Bahrain and they both were crying as they wanted to hire me but the MoE wouldn't let them as my degree is in Civil Engineering and I trained as a physics teacher - so heart wrenching! Both schools were going to pay me over GBP2000 per month tax free with all the other perks.

Now about the UAE....it’s very competitive!! Everybody is flocking there and schools are picking and choosing as a result. You'll need solid experience for the decent schools and the pay is getting tighter as they can now offer less as people want to go there. Most schools are now starting to have pay scales and they won't be negotiating as much as before. The school I'm in talks with is offering GBP1500 and I'm on more than GBP2000 in China. I'm seriously considering them and I'll try to move myself up the pay scale and sell myself hard but even if they don't budge they said after the first year there'll be an increase of 500AED every month. I also want to move back to the UAE - I grew up there and speak Arabic fluently and have plenty of family and friends - plus mumzy might even move to join me.

Do consider all factors as moving somewhere where you don’t know the culture and haven’t been before is a huge thing!

I hope that helps...

Leave a comment:

• Nafs al Tawabah
    replied

I'm in talks at the moment with a school in the UAE. I teach secondary physics and have 2yrs experience. The new trend in the Middle East (as I've been looking since last year) is that the MoE is looking for people that have a degree in the subject being taught on top of that a PGCE or equivalent.

I was in talks with a school in Saudi and Bahrain and they both were crying as they wanted to hire me but the MoE wouldn't let them as my degree is in Civil Engineering and I trained as a physics teacher - so heart wrenching! Both schools were going to pay me over GBP2000 per month tax free with all the other perks.

Now about the UAE....it’s very competitive!! Everybody is flocking there and schools are picking and choosing as a result. You'll need solid experience for the decent schools and the pay is getting tighter as they can now offer less as people want to go there. Most schools are now starting to have pay scales and they won't be negotiating as much as before. The school I'm in talks with is offering GBP1500 and I'm on more than GBP2000 in China. I'm seriously considering them and I'll try to move myself up the pay scale and sell myself hard but even if they don't budge they said after the first year there'll be an increase of 500AED every month. I also want to move back to the UAE - I grew up there and speak Arabic fluently and have plenty of family and friends - plus mumzy might even move to join me.

Do consider all factors as moving somewhere where you don’t know the culture and haven’t been before is a huge thing!

I hope that helps...

Leave a comment:

• lahoreia
    replied

I am not in teaching profession, but moved from US to UAE about 3 years ago. Alhamdulillah, it has been one of the best decisions of my life.

Generally, teaching is taken up by people who are already here in the region and their spouse is working - this trend just puts too much supply resulting in lower salaries. Having said that, in the past year or so things are changing - especially since the ministry of education is now enforcing at least B.Ed. degree for teachers.

The salary varies with experience and the grade you are teaching. Typically, for a montessori level, the salary ranges from AED 3K-5K per month. For elementary levels, anywhere from 4K-8K. Only, if you are teaching senior grades you can expect up to 15K-20K. However, if you are a professor then you can go as high as around 35K-40K. The good part is that for teachers, generally, the housing is paid by the schools (but do not even expect that if you are looking into teaching elementary levels). All salary figures are in UAE Dirhams and per month

Leave a comment:

• firestar101
    replied

Originally posted by SouthernGirl View Post
    Yes. When she was applying for these jobs in Saudi was was dead serious with the recruiters.
    She was not going overseas for less than 100k. Plus her resume is off the chain. She has done so much work with inner city schools and the Islamic academy in our city. She specializes in special education and that area of expertise is lacking in Middle Eastern countries.

And I'm sad and physically sick that she is leaving.
    She is my BFF Muslim sister (she taught me salah).
    I am surprised they paid her that much. No teacher is worth that much unless they seriously go over the top and do something special but even then I would not even pay half that if I was a recruiter. Saudi just has too much money. Shame they waste it though

Leave a comment:

• علي
    replied

It's dealing with riba vs travelling alone...Travelling alone is defo the lesser of the two evils :/
    I wouldn't be so sure of that. Traveling alone as a young woman to a place like the middle east has a lot of potential for evil to occur, all of it at your expense, and much of it which seems to me to be greater evil than riba. It should not be done save in dire cases.

Yeah, there's some money that can be made there teaching English, but it's good for life over there if you're in a cheaper place to live (like for example, Gaza. Yeah.), but if you mean for collecting for use outside, it's probably not gonna be a lot.

Also, you should know some Arabic too as a lot of students won't know how to communicate with you depending on the level. All in all, worth a shot if you have a mahram who will set you up, but if you're going alone........ the water is murky.

Leave a comment:

• PositivityLebo2
    replied

Okay, I've tried in Lebanon but it's pretty hard, especially due to the problems there and the free mixing at University but regarding a young lady maybe around $500 Dollars a month inshallah if you find a job.
    I've also been to Egypt, the pay there is much lower but the more experience you have the more better it will be...and personally i think it has the least fitan in it.... I suggest going Saudi Arabia but you'll probably need a degree for that but the pay is very good, maybe $1000+ a month. JazakAllahu Khair

Leave a comment:

• LionKhan
    replied

I would suggest that if your not an arab then Please do not loCate to an arab country especially if your South Asian. There is a lot of racism in these countries unfortunately. If you do not have much pride then its okay. I rather earn less in the west but live in dignity.

Leave a comment:

• SouthernGirl
    replied

Originally posted by Umar_ View Post
    Are you serious?
    Yes. When she was applying for these jobs in Saudi was was dead serious with the recruiters.
    She was not going overseas for less than 100k. Plus her resume is off the chain. She has done so much work with inner city schools and the Islamic academy in our city. She specializes in special education and that area of expertise is lacking in Middle Eastern countries.

And I'm sad and physically sick that she is leaving.
    She is my BFF Muslim sister (she taught me salah).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X