Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people say depression doesn't exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do some people say depression doesn't exist?

Originally posted by علي View Post
    No denial though, if they recognize the symptoms they're not denying them, it's just whether or not they consider it worthy of drugs or not. That's the issue I think the question asks about, in the very end.
    I didn't quiet understand OP in that way.

She seemed to be asking why people deny mental illnesses and gave examples of such illnesses

But since you bought up the drug aspect, I personally believe some drugs are effective and even worth the side effects.
    Gone with the wind.

Comment

ignorance ignorance ignorance

and imbecility too
      My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
      Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

The idea that some people still think depression is fake is an incredibly disappointing in 2014.
        :love: :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel101 View Post
          I didn't quiet understand OP in that way.

She seemed to be asking why people deny mental illnesses and gave examples of such illnesses

But since you bought up the drug aspect, I personally believe some drugs are effective and even worth the side effects.
          I said that's what I feel the question asks, regardless of who asks it. Be it in the OP or when others do. See example:

Ahmad seems sad as of late, let's try to be more supportive and cheer him up. (People who don't even know about "clinical depression")

Ahmad seems sad as of late. Could it be clinical depression? If so he may need therapy and medicine.

Otherwise if we disregard the question of it being clinical or not, if Ahmad's family cares at all, they will try to cheer him up and be supportive, part of the "therapy" needed for that anyway. Even better, they may add to that Islamic treatment as well, including taking black seed. Anti-depressants do some pretty terrible things to a person's psyche as far as I know, as do most of these drugs.

So yeah, I feel it's one of those questions that wouldn't matter if people were going about treating the symptoms anyway using even a very basic understanding of them.
          والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

again I reiterate the issue isn't does depression exist, its should it and the Islamic point of view

Every one talks of ''ignorance'' etc but I am a person who they gave Prozac to at the drop of a hat because I had a baby who was disabled. AHving a doctor for a BIL and now a daughter into clinical psychiatry in laws who are kaafir and on the stuff I would never take it

I myself have a masters in a health related discipline too so please lets not argue about some of what people are saying

These drugs aree more dangerous than what they are meant to cure and often lead to more depression.

A husband dies, its depressing and sad but its how people deal with these things and how quickly a doctor will prescribe anti deprssants is the issue, same if its a son or daughter etc

In Islam its Allah swt will and you get on with it. Not get sick for life.

Too many people on here bought into the rubbish being preached by quangos and corporations making money out of the medications etc

Comment

Some medicine from the sunnah for grief/depression.

It was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet :saw:, that if a member of her family died, the women would gather together, then they would depart, except her own relatives and close friends. She would order that a pot of talbeenah be cooked, then some thareed would be made and the talbeenah would be poured over it. Then she would say: Eat some of it, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah :saw: say: “Talbeenah soothes the heart of the sick person, and it takes away some of the grief.” (Sahih Bukhari 5365, Sahih Muslim 2216)

Allah will relieve any slave who is afflicted with grief and anxiety from his anxiety and replace his grief with happiness if he says: 'O Allah! I am Your servant, son of Your servant, son of Your maidservant, my forelock is in Your hand, Your command over me is forever executed and Your decree over me is just. I ask You by every name belonging to You which You named Yourself with, or revealed in Your Book, or You taught to any of Your creation, or You have preserved in the knowledge of the unseen with You, that You make the Quraan the life of my heart and the light of my chest, and a departure for my sorrow and a release for my anxiety. O Allah! Teach me from it that which I am ignorant of and remind me with it that which I was made to forget; I ask You by Your mercy, for You are the Most Merciful, to grant me its recitation during the hours of night and day in the form which pleases You'

Another dua:

"O Allah! I seek refuge with you from distress and sorrow, from helplessness and laziness, from miserliness and cowardice, from being heavily in debt and from being overcome by men."
              [Bukhari, Hisn al-Muslim (p. 157)]
              "You must convince your heart that whatever Allah has decreed is most appropriate and most beneficial for you." ~ Imam Al Ghazali.

Comment

What is talbeenah?
                The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                  Some people are just full of kibr (arrogance), so if they haven't come across something personally or experienced it themselves, then it doesn't exist to them. Whether the issue exists in reality, whether it can be proven etc means nothing to them- they are really that thick that if it doesn't fit in with their ignorant narrow paradigm then they assume it doesn't exist, or that it's "because of a lack of iman"- again due to arrogance that they believe their iman is oh so great cos' they haven't experienced such things. There are some people in their own narrow minded little petty world where they think anything related to mental illness "it's a gora illness" because "it doesn't exist where we come from". These illnesses exist all over the world. Severe depression is rife in Palestine, I'm sure many have it in Pakistan and other countries- it's not just a 'Western' thing it's just that Western nations don't hide it or pretend it isn't there the way other communities do.

I am suspicious of Drs being too quick to rely on drugs for these sorts of things, but I do think medications have their place too. Sometimes a case of depression or schizophrenia could be due to jinns, I wouldn't immediately be dismissive of that possibility, nor would I assume that ALL cases are due to jinns. These conditions can be triggered by a number of different factors and depending on those factors, different treatments would suit different people.
                  +1
                  And strive because the sweetness of life lies in the struggle - Imam al-Shafi'i

Comment

Working...
                  X