Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some people say depression doesn't exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some people say depression doesn't exist?

I've come to realise that this is actually quite common.
    Please explain to meh.

Same with schizophrenia. Why do they say it doesn't exist?

:scratch:

Re: Why do some people say depression doesn't exist?

Some are ignorant when it comes to mental illness.

Others are ignorant + arrogant < these you can't even educate, they already know it all.

lol @ schizophrenia not existing, never heard that claim, but have heard people linking everything to jiin including schizophrenia.
    Gone with the wind.

Comment

They clearly haven't experienced it if they say it's fake.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel101 View Post
        Some are ignorant when it comes to mental illness.

Others are ignorant + arrogant < these you can't even educate, they already know it all.

lol @ schizophrenia not existing, never heard that claim, but have heard people linking everything to jiin including schizophrenia.
        i suspect that some people cant reconcile the existence of jinn and mental illness
        even raqis say these things exist and not everything is related to jinn.

thing is, people's denial leads to them advising others not to take medication

i know there were some people here that dont believe these illnesses are real so hopefully they'll answer
        i wanna understand the other view

Comment

Majority of the people are suffering from some sort of mental disorder. There are numerous conditions. Learned this in a behavioral sciences class.

Comment

the issue isn't necessarily that depression doesn't exist per se but more about should a muslim be depressed

Depression can be clinical depression, hormonal imbalance or chemical imbalance. This is illness or even suggesting its jinn is not denying it.

What we get today is the whole I am depressed because I cant get married or cant get a job etc. Truthfully this is a lack of imaan and also lack of patience and dare I say buzzwords that we have inherited

A muslim knows what is written will come to him, so why be depressed about what isn't in your hands?

This is simplistic but I don't want to write an essay

The bests of the best of the best were those who didn't want a painkiller when they had headache, they simply saw it as rehma and left it in the hands of Allahs wt

Comment

diseases do evolve.

however they didnt exist as mush in the past as they do now , infact depression is so common among developed countries.

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
                diseases do evolve.

however they didnt exist as mush in the past as they do now , infact depression is so common among developed countries.
                I know for fact that the medication for depression and anxiety is big money and psychiatry is an evolving field with mega bucks now

doctors are prescribing citalopram and such for jokes these days

Its like the diet pils and heartburn etc remedies. These things have been addressed. If you eat sensibly and walk etc you don't need diet pills and you wont suffer indigestion etc. But if like Pakistani households today the starter main course and side dishes and dessert too if they can help it is meat and you don't get up of the sofa then sure you need pills.

Comment

Originally posted by nonameakhi View Post
                  The bests of the best of the best were those who didn't want a painkiller when they had headache, they simply saw it as rehma and left it in the hands of Allahs wt
                  Yes we do need tawakkul but do you have daleel for saying that they did not want cures for illnesses? (Correct me if I misinterpreted you). Because we are supposed to tie our camel and have tawakkul in Allah .
                  "You must convince your heart that whatever Allah has decreed is most appropriate and most beneficial for you." ~ Imam Al Ghazali.

Comment

Originally posted by Repentant View Post
                    Yes we do need tawakkul but do you have daleel for saying that they did not want cures for illnesses? (Correct me if I misinterpreted you). Because we are supposed to tie our camel and have tawakkul in Allah .
                    seeking cure is not wrong and there are hadith which said seek cure Usamah ibn Shuraik narrated:
                    “… ‘O Allah’s Messenger! Should we seek medical treatment for our illnesses?’ He replied: ‘Yes, you should seek medical treatment, because Allah, the Exalted, has let no disease exist without providing for its cure, except for one ailment, namely, old age’.”
                    Tirmidhi

There were those though who believed this by Abu Saeed Khudri and Abu Hurayrah narrates that the Prophet pbuh said: “No fatigue, disease, sorrow, sadness, hurt, or distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that.”
                    Bukhari.7.545

aand I am thinking of the hadith about the woman with epilepsy whose awra would get revealed. She asked for her not reveal her awrah but didn't seek the cure opting for the reward

Comment

Human nature.People in good health do not generally worry about various afflictions and diseases: many of them even believe that their good condition will be there for ever.Likewise for depression:many of us come to realise it when we fall into its grips.

Comment

Originally posted by cho09082489 View Post
                        I've come to realise that this is actually quite common.
                        Please explain to meh.

Same with schizophrenia. Why do they say it doesn't exist?

:scratch:

This also might help
                        http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...sed&highlight=
                        Visit my channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

Comment

Depression is very real.

Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person's thoughts, behavior, feelings and sense of well-being. Depressed people can feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, worried, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable, hurt, or restless. They may lose interest in activities that once were pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details, or making decisions, and may contemplate, attempt, or commit suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, loss of energy, or aches, pains, or digestive problems may also be present.

Are you seriously going to tell me Muslims in Syria are actually happy?
                          And whatever you have of favor - it is from Allah. Then when adversity touches you, to Him you cry for help

[an-Nahl 16:53].

Comment

Originally posted by Magic. View Post
                            Depression is very real.

Depression is a state of low mood and aversion to activity that can affect a person's thoughts, behavior, feelings and sense of well-being. Depressed people can feel sad, anxious, empty, hopeless, worried, helpless, worthless, guilty, irritable, hurt, or restless. They may lose interest in activities that once were pleasurable, experience loss of appetite or overeating, have problems concentrating, remembering details, or making decisions, and may contemplate, attempt, or commit suicide. Insomnia, excessive sleeping, fatigue, loss of energy, or aches, pains, or digestive problems may also be present.

Are you seriously going to tell me Muslims in Syria are actually happy?
                            Not happy does not mean mentally ill.

Depression is caused by chemical imbalance in the brain. Depression caused by tragedies are normal and part of life. We alk experience them, some more severe than others; unlike with depression caused by chemical imbalance, it's easier to recover.
                            Gone with the wind.

Comment

Couple of problems though. Many people get very offended when someone denies clinical depression. I don't say it doesn't exist, I say what do we do about it? Because it seems the vast majority of drugs available just block one symptom and bring about many other worse ones, all the while not solving the actual problem.

So even if we do acknowledge that they are illnesses, I don't think the drugs currently available are a good cure as opposed to support from families, friends, and/or psychiatrists/counselors. So when that's taken into consideration, it ceases to matter exactly whether or not you qualifiy it as a disease or not, when you see the symptoms, you just do your best to deal with them.
                              والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X