Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic.
    replied
    Re: Are American muslims too westernized?

I don't think there's a written rule anywhere that accepts our preconceived notions of which nation contains the most practising Muslims.

Take for example--

A) One group could be praying 4 times a day of Salah BUT many would assume they pray 5 times a day.

B) One group could be praying 5 times a day of Salah and drink a bottle of whisky every night openly.

Who is more practising?

According to our preconceived notions, A.

Leave a comment:

• Mohamed12
    replied

Originally posted by Repentant View Post
    A lot (not all) of people from my generation in Pakistan smoke, drink, go clubbing, have girlfriends, listen to music, support secularism or mixed conservative-liberal values and commit zina and call people 'maulvi' and 'mullah' derogatorily if they speak out. Whereas here in the West a lot of people in my generation are attached to the masjids and the deen and speak of jihad and the mujahideen and observe hijab.
    ok

Leave a comment:

• Repentant
    replied

A lot (not all) of people from my generation in Pakistan smoke, drink, go clubbing, have girlfriends, listen to music, support secularism or mixed conservative-liberal values and commit zina and call people 'maulvi' and 'mullah' derogatorily if they speak out. Whereas here in the West a lot of people in my generation are attached to the masjids and the deen and speak of jihad and the mujahideen and observe hijab.

Leave a comment:

• |Sister|
    replied

Originally posted by Maghrebia00 View Post
    What does that even mean? What makes me westernized?

I prefer fish and chips over curry.
    Therefore, am i a westernized person?
    Yeah I guess it depends on how he defines it. I understood it by the common negative connotation among Muslims. (Abandoning the sunnah and fard religious obligations, showing shame of Islaam and trying to hide it, trying to imitate the kuffar and pacify/kiss up to them, preferring jahil over Islaam).

I know that culture is permitted in Islaam as long as it isn't haraam. I prefer hot dogs over salami any day. And I can't stand jalebis or couscous. I don't dress eastern, eat eastern, speak eastern, or have eastern mannerisms. But I am not "westernized". I don't listen to "imams" who say music is halaal or visit concerts themselves, I don't consider hijab a "choice", I don't think making "friends" with the opposite gender is halaal, ect.

I'm a Muslim american, not a 'westernized muslim'.
    Last edited by |Sister|; 22-03-14, 02:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• nousername
    replied

Well, I'm never going to be Eastern soo..ok.

Leave a comment:

• Maghrebia00
    replied

What does that even mean? What makes me westernized?

I prefer fish and chips over curry.
    Therefore, am i a westernized person?

Leave a comment:

• Talwaar
    replied

Originally posted by srahman33 View Post
    Thing is, it's not just USA...It's the entire west, and their influence is quite rapidly pervading even the Muslim lands.
    Muslims are conceding their ways to western culture and basically admitting that they think its "superior"

Leave a comment:

• pallas
    replied

I think all Muslims are affected by the cultures they were raised with or the countries they are raised in. Over the top weddings are not Islamic, yet they are widespread in a lot of supposed Islamic countries. It is perhaps more noticeable ( and perhaps more widespread) in western countries and other non Islamic countries.

But there is also the case that globalization had caused an increase in westernization all over the world, through movies, music, clothing and etc etc.
    Last edited by pallas; 22-03-14, 01:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Morose
    replied

Thing is, it's not just USA...It's the entire west, and their influence is quite rapidly pervading even the Muslim lands.

Leave a comment:

• |Sister|
    replied

Originally posted by iman1991 View Post
    What do you guys think? Are some American Muslims, men and women too westernized.
    Yes, if you can still call those particular ones "muslim" islamically
    Originally posted by iman1991 View Post
    Has America corrupted the Muslim society we live in today?
    Yes, most definitely

But it's only going to get worse until Isa(as) returns. Buckle your seatbelt.

Leave a comment:

• AbuMubarak
    replied

Originally posted by DaughterOfAdam View Post
    i completely missed whatever point she was trying to make

Leave a comment:

• DaughterOfAdam
    replied

Check this out: http://muslimmatters.org/2014/03/17/...-real-muslims/

Leave a comment:

• Bint_Hajj
    replied

Originally posted by Tide2006 View Post
    I believe there is a difference in culture..that doesn't make someone any more or less a Muslim than someone else unless they are committing sins.
    Originally posted by Tide2006 View Post
    In terms of music,dating,drinking,smoking....etc yes, but there are a lot, like me, who have no interest in those things. It is not the PLACE that makes someone commit sins, it has to be within them to do those things. I am sick of people saying "America" corrupts Muslims who come here... A person who becomes corrupt will be corrupt wherever they are.
    What do you mean 'westernised'?

Most Muslims born and raised in the west (including myself) are westernised (we're not exactly going to be 'easternised' are we? lol)

And there is nothing wrong with this, as long as you're not doing anything haram :)

Agree with all of the above.

We're all given a choice in how to behave. There are problems in Eastern and Western culture that have nothing to do with Islam or go directly against it. If anything, I've seen more Muslims from outside the U.S. come to the U.S. and act how typical non-Muslim Americans act as opposed to American Muslims who have chosen Islam and are used to the culture and know what to avoid of it.

This thread is reminding me of that "Bait Car" thread. There were so many saying it was entrapment to leave a running car somewhere then arrest someone who stole it. But really, anyone who isn't a thief wouldn't have stolen it. I've never seen a running car and thought, "Hey! Free car! Must be my day!" and then proceeded to drive off in it. But a thief will see it as an easy opportunity. Likewise, anyone who sees the haram committed in the U.S. and/or parts of the Western culture who is NOT trying to commit those acts will avoid them. But someone inclined to it will fall into it or actively seek it out wherever they are.

Leave a comment:

• FeedMEknowledge
    replied

we live in the west

Leave a comment:

• muslimboy764
    replied

They're people who are Muslims and from America.
    not fair just to say American, what about other parts of the west

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X