Returniing Salam When You're Unsure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Returniing Salam When You're Unsure

scholars such as Ibn Qayim and Uthaymeen say that if someone says to you asalamalaykum and you are clear they said this and not what the Jews said to the Prophet saw ie alsaam alaykum (death upon you) then it is best to reply with the full walaykumasalaam

based on

When you are greeted with a greeting, greet in return with what is better than it, or (at least) return it equally”

[al-Nisa’ 4:86]

This is under the rules of fairness and justice. The hadith of the Prophet saw saying wa alaykum (same to you) was based on the Jews playing games with the words so He saw responded in kind

Comment

i jz make it sound gibberish so no1 gets what happened ....

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
        i jz make it sound gibberish so no1 gets what happened ....
        Lol , yeah i hear murmur the reply to yourself..
        Which i think is habitual rather than intentional.

Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

**** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antê” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Comment

Originally posted by ssh View Post
          بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
          السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

How do you respond when a stranger says and you're unsure if they are Muslim or non-Muslim and just trying to be polite?

Is it correct to return to a non-Muslim or doesn't it really matter? Like if there was no obligation either way.

جزاك الله خيرا
          If they say assalamu alaykum, respond with a better greeting by saying, "wa alaykum assalam warahmutallahi wabarakatu."
          مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
          It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
          Surah al-Baqarah
          [2:245]

.:.
          .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
          Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
          ...said the spider to the fly...

Comment

there are many muslim women who dont wear hijab and many brothers who dont have beards or just 'look' like they wouldnt be muslim, but u never know... not good to not return a salam and i presume there could be people excited to see a muslim and say something they learned in a college course or online, but who are we to judge?

someone posted a thread of some jewish and christian women in the middle east who look exactly like muslms, so what if it was you who accidently said salam to a covered jewish woman because u assumed she WAS muslim...
            Last edited by FeedMEknowledge; 19-03-14, 08:02 PM.
            Raindrops.hail.ouch

Comment

An interesting read

http://www.answering-christianity.co...sbelievers.htm

Comment

Working...
              X