Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

" I find Americans to be the most stressed-out & unhappiest people on the Planet"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: " I find Americans to be the most stressed-out & unhappiest people on the Planet"

Originally posted by Fliz View Post
    omg are you American?
    Yes I am

Originally posted by iwasjimmyjimmy View Post
    This article seems to fit the idea that the average European has about the USA.

Strangely, it doesn't mention health care or guns, which are two things that Europeans would be very wary of while visiting the place.

I only went to USA once, and that was to a very frantic place, so I can't really say I know enough about the place to say any more.
    17. "And I find it pretty scary to be in a country where pretty much anyone can legally buy a revolver."

This is true. Anyone over 18 without certain convictions can walk into a gun shop and buy a revolver without blinking. After the background check, you return and it's yours. There's actually a new gun shop that opened right next to an ice cream shop near my house lol I'm thinking about moving.

Comment

Re: " I find Americans to be the most stressed-out & unhappiest people on the Planet"

Lol! That whole article was funny, but the below are my favorite parts(as a Muslim & American):

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
      1. Americans are way too sensitive
      Says the guy who complains about people smiling at him and not meaning it. lol

3. Smiles mean NOTHING
      Who complains about people smiling at you? As a Muslim it's sunnah, so I see no problems. But I can tell you if tourists weren't being smiled at, then they'd complain that Americans are so mean and miserable. Oh wait, he did say we/they are miserable... So which is it?

8. Idiotic American stereotypes of other countries
      The above is by far, the best. Simply because in spite of his declaration of the opposite, yes he is doing the exact same thing.

9. Heritage
      Seeing as how most Americans do have heritage outside of this country and the only true Americans are Native Americans, then how else should we/they answer? There's also a difference because on every form you fill out here there is declaration of race, not just nationality. So it's not enough to say that you're American. They want to know if you're white, European, Latin descent, African descent, Asian descent, etc. From what I understand this is directly related to the slave trade history of this country where people were considered slaves even if only 1 great grandparent were black/slave.

17. Thinking America is the best
      Again for this writer: pot, meet kettle. Most people have the same view of their country and say the same. But I can honestly say I know more Americans who dislike their country(in particular the government here) than any other nationality.

But I definitely agree that we are all always in a hurry. But our schools and work don't take kindly to tardiness. If you're late you can be docked pay, repeatedly late and you'll lose your job. As a student if you're late you can get detention, repeatedly late and you'll be suspended and/or left back. Americans also tend to have longer work hours and less vacation time than others do. So yes, you hurry to get to your job - no time to stop and smell the roses. Then when you're not working you usually have a lot of household errands to run besides actually trying to find the time to do something nice that you might like. But I can imagine it would be a difficult adjustment for someone who is used to being able to take all the time you want.

I also agree on there being a lot of people here on medication. Given the stressful work and school situations combined with less than ideal family structures and many not having any deen, of course they're depressed. But that is where being Muslim gives all the benefit because we don't have the exact same outlook as those with no thoughts of the hereafter. :up:

Comment

"8. Idiotic American stereotypes of other countries"

But it's okay to stereotype Americans into one big sandwich?

Comment

Originally posted by Zahira13 View Post
          "8. Idiotic American stereotypes of other countries"

But it's okay to stereotype Americans into one big sandwich?
          no, they will prolly eat it

then we have nothing
          "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

" I find Americans to be the most stressed-out & unhappiest people on the Planet"

I don't know about Europeans but the best thing about going out to a restaurant is the smiling servers and workers there.

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post

then we have nothing
              I never knew Canadians were this funny @)

Comment

haha murrica.
                They say good things come to those who wait, so imma be at least an hour late

Comment

its the weather
                  "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post

then we have nothing
                    Canadians are the weirdest bunch. Of ppl you'll ever meet
                    They say good things come to those who wait, so imma be at least an hour late

Comment

Not just Americans, everywhere around the world increasing cost of living made it tough to live for millions.

The situation it seems is only going to get worse as there is going to be more people added year on year, depending on the same resources

Read this article from today

Looks like we are leaving a tough and bleak future for our children
                      Not knowing what one doesn't know will lead to difficulty

Comment

Originally posted by Bint_Hajj View Post
                        Lol! That whole article was funny, but the below are my favorite parts(as a Muslim & American):

Says the guy who complains about people smiling at him and not meaning it. lol

Who complains about people smiling at you? As a Muslim it's sunnah, so I see no problems. But I can tell you if tourists weren't being smiled at, then they'd complain that Americans are so mean and miserable. Oh wait, he did say we/they are miserable... So which is it?

The above is by far, the best. Simply because in spite of his declaration of the opposite, yes he is doing the exact same thing.

Seeing as how most Americans do have heritage outside of this country and the only true Americans are Native Americans, then how else should we/they answer? There's also a difference because on every form you fill out here there is declaration of race, not just nationality. So it's not enough to say that you're American. They want to know if you're white, European, Latin descent, African descent, Asian descent, etc. From what I understand this is directly related to the slave trade history of this country where people were considered slaves even if only 1 great grandparent were black/slave.

Again for this writer: pot, meet kettle. Most people have the same view of their country and say the same. But I can honestly say I know more Americans who dislike their country(in particular the government here) than any other nationality.
                        :rotfl:

:jkk: I needed to laugh lol

But I definitely agree that we are all always in a hurry. But our schools and work don't take kindly to tardiness. If you're late you can be docked pay, repeatedly late and you'll lose your job. As a student if you're late you can get detention, repeatedly late and you'll be suspended and/or left back. Americans also tend to have longer work hours and less vacation time than others do. So yes, you hurry to get to your job - no time to stop and smell the roses. Then when you're not working you usually have a lot of household errands to run besides actually trying to find the time to do something nice that you might like. But I can imagine it would be a difficult adjustment for someone who is used to being able to take all the time you want.

I also agree on there being a lot of people here on medication. Given the stressful work and school situations combined with less than ideal family structures and many not having any deen, of course they're depressed. But that is where being Muslim gives all the benefit because we don't have the exact same outlook as those with no thoughts of the hereafter. :up:
                        That was his point though. We are so obsessed with jobs and money we never have time to stop and actually live. I agree with that part of the article which is why I posted it. (but I thought the other stuff was really funny so I posted it too lol)

Originally posted by Vishnu View Post
                        Not just Americans, everywhere around the world increasing cost of living made it tough to live for millions.

The situation it seems is only going to get worse as there is going to be more people added year on year, depending on the same resources

Read this article from today

Looks like we are leaving a tough and bleak future for our children
                        That is depressing

Comment

:rotfl:

11. Religious Americans

Look – I grew up in a religious town in Ireland, went to an all boys Catholic school, and some of my friends in Europe are religious.
                          are you a boy or a girl? Your name is sister and you went to an all boys school?

They call me sherlock holmes.

Comment

This is an interesting article, really humorous but also true. I went to the Olympics 2012, had encountered across an American tourist whom happened to be precheing about Christianity within the stadium. Haha. I think you'd find your average American in Texas.

Read this article today.

Texas attack 'Muslim weather'

http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw_efhgBo

Comment

That was his point though. We are so obsessed with jobs and money we never have time to stop and actually live. I agree with that part of the article which is why I posted it. (but I thought the other stuff was really funny so I posted it too lol)
                              Oh yes, I agree with that sister. I was just saying that a lot of it the obsession with jobs and money is more situational than personal(if that makes sense). Most people I know are just trying to get by no matter how much they make. And it takes up so much of your life and energy that I guess to others it can seem like an obsession, when really I think most are just trying to see how others are surviving and if there's a better way.

Originally posted by Fliz View Post
                              are you a boy or a girl? Your name is sister and you went to an all boys school?

They call me sherlock holmes.
                              Forgive me for butting in, but the sister was quoting an article. The writer is male, went to catholic school, and doesn't like showing ID to drink. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hassan-Ali View Post
                                This is an interesting article, really humorous but also true. I went to the Olympics 2012, had encountered across an American tourist whom happened to be precheing about Christianity within the stadium. Haha. I think you'd find your average American in Texas.

Read this article today.

Texas attack 'Muslim weather'

http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw_efhgBo
                                No. Texas is like its own country.
                                You can even ask any Texan.
                                They're ridiculously proud to be from Texas and separate themselves(and find themselves superior) to the rest of the U.S.

(if there are any native Texans here, they're gonna be coming after me )

Comment

Working...
                                X