Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Generation, Will you follow Culture/traditions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Generation, Will you follow Culture/traditions?

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
    so technically, and i speak for my tradition i dont know about other, we wore white before the kuffar

maybe tomorrow couscous will be outlawed before kuffar eat it
    In my culture, white wedding dresses are a christian tradition, so it is my duty to strive against it as a Muslim and make myself different from the kuffar. Rulings differ depending on culture and in a Muslim-majority culture, you follow the other Muslims.

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
      In my culture, white wedding dresses are a christian tradition, so it is my duty to strive against it as a Muslim and make myself different from the kuffar. Rulings differ depending on culture and in a Muslim-majority culture, you follow the other Muslims.
      is there something in the NT or AT saying you must at all cost wear a white dress for your wedding? Because for a thousand years christians wore yellow, blue, pink, purple, red wedding dresses. And it is even worse in the Middle East, because Arab christians and Muslims dress more or less the same. Doesn't leave much room for other colours.

Yes rulings differ from cultures, yet these fatwas didn't take into consideration cultures at least for the ones posted.

For any random person reading these fatwas, white dress is clear-cut haram wherever you are. It doesn't say "except in algeria"
      My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
      Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
        is there something in the NT or AT saying you must at all cost wear a white dress for your wedding? Because for a thousand years christians wore yellow, blue, pink, purple, red wedding dresses. And it is even worse in the Middle East, because Arab christians and Muslims dress more or less the same. Doesn't leave much room for other colours.

Yes rulings differ from cultures, yet these fatwas didn't take into consideration cultures at least for the ones posted.

For any random person reading these fatwas, white dress is clear-cut haram wherever you are. It doesn't say "except in algeria"
        I already know that. It is a christian tradition borrowed from victorian times and americans have always associated it with christianity and christian purity. It was not associated with any other religion from that era. Which is why I am against white wedding dresses as imitating the kuffar.

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
          I already know that. It is a christian tradition borrowed from victorian times and americans have always associated it with christianity and christian purity. It was not associated with any other religion from that era. Which is why I am against white wedding dresses as imitating the kuffar.
          I think we differ on the principle of "christian tradition", because here it looks like Queen Victoria launched a new christian tradition which is very strange for me to read.

I have trouble see white dress and christianity associated which is not even the case today. It's like saying anyone who wears a tie is christian.

White dress was associated with social rank, today culture and fashion taste obviously, but christianity, I dont think i have read anything on that. Let's leave it at this disagreement i suppose
          My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername
          Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Somalis traditionally wore white wedding dresses but that hasn't been fashionable for 60 years.

Comment

Moving swiftly on from wedding dresses lol,

New generation! Tell me the culture and traditions you like to follow, yet currently not following.

I probably spoke about this before, is to start wearing those Moroccan long dresses with the hoodies, but i fear i might stick out like a sore thumb amongst the crowd. I still haven't done it. I think i will just leave Moroccan culture wear for Morocco only. :(

And to eat more couscous, like traditionally once a week, rather than once in a few months.
              Bye...

Comment

What I like to follow: The food!!!! That's it I think, oh and family gatherings every week

What I don't like to follow: a lot of traditions that happen during weddings
                إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

Originally posted by iRepIslam View Post
                  What I like to follow: The food!!!! That's it I think, oh and family gatherings every week

What I don't like to follow: a lot of traditions that happen during weddings
                  omgosh!

family gathering! we do that on couscous day on friday! all the females come and we all there peeling vegetables! so fun lol. Really is, because we talk about everything. Then the guys come back from prayer and the WE EAT!

oh gosh. I hate this western life

I am so isolated! No family (like cousins etc), and friends don't come over... i am living a rubbish routine. I don't even peel carrots, and i love peeling carrots!

Bye...

Comment

Awwwww sis!! I love how all the girls in my immediate family (ie my siblings n mother )cook together in the weekends. It's so fun we all have diff jobs and were all in the kitchen working hard :p

Awwwww sis, ur ummah family is here for u.. It sucks living isolated right. Omg must be so boring D:
                    إقراء القران فإنه يأتي يوم القيامة شفيعا لأصحابه

Comment

I love the food and family gatherings.

The whole 'mendhi' thing in weddings isn't really my thing, but I guess there is a way to keep it Islamically sound when it's just family members, and fancy Asian weddings i'll keep BUT definitely within budget and sensibility. Kids are actually Inshallah going to pay their own way like I plan on doing for mine, but they'll have a much better headstart in saving for their futures than I was taught Inshallah.

Not sure what else tbh. Educations important, but i'd only like them to go to university to become lawyers, doctors, engineers etc. where the pay is high and they can justify having gone. It's just too expensive to go into anything else, and it's not the 'prestige' of the above occupations but rather the stability and high earnings that I think would help my children provide for their own.

I'd like them all, girls and all though to become entrepreneurs, balancing their deen and dunya. Having enough time for family etc.
                      I write novels for posts. Beware. :mujahida:

Ummah Forum seems pretty black and white. Was thinking of offering Skittles as Dawah to introduce a rainbow.

Comment

^ sounds reasonable.

12 year old entrepreneurs lol.
                        Bye...

Comment

Originally posted by Maghrebia00 View Post
                          ^ sounds reasonable.

12 year old entrepreneurs lol.
                          Hey, don't knock it, some of them are actually millionaires lol

I'm going to make them save up a bit here and there and contribute myself tbh. The biggest advantage you have as a parent is a tax free cash ISA of £10,000 or so every year for each child. Assuming you earn enough money, that's a lot of tax free income to put away for your childrens futures. Inshallah I plan on earning enough before marriage, and after to do something like that for them. They're going to have to pay for their own stuff too, and marriage is the one i'll drill into them from their mid teens onwards lol.

I just know what i'm supposed to do, but things just have a funny way of not working out sometimes. Inshallah they do though. Ameen.
                          I write novels for posts. Beware. :mujahida:

Ummah Forum seems pretty black and white. Was thinking of offering Skittles as Dawah to introduce a rainbow.

Comment

follow what is good and throw out what is not
                            How dare they challenge me with their primitive skills? They're just as good as dead

Comment

I love culture....would b kind of boring if every1 practised the same culture...so yeah i follow them and will in future i guess

Comment

only include culture when it does not clash with religion. if it does then clearly can't be followed.

at the end of the day, when you make decisions in life and if they base it only on culture and society, they sometimes forget where they want to be in 10 years time.

and if they are not happy with decisions they've made now, in ten years; this will only get worse. culture interferes a lot and people forget all that.

in the future, things can change and you have to have the will to change it.

Muhammad Ali, who is a good example of not following tradition. He was raised a Baptist and most of the African/American community in the US were connected to the church. But from a young age when inspired by the first glimpse of Islam, didn't think about what people thought and made that change to make him happy. Regardless of family and media and made sure people called him by his Muslim name. He went through many personal faults but in the end was not afraid to make things right and finally made it on the right track and has ended up with a muslim wife he loves and settled. Not everyone should go through that, but the key thing to remember here is, he was not afraid to make that change and doesn't care about what others think about it, because he didn't succumb to what his community thought or indeed those around him, like when he fought George Foreman.
                                Last edited by Nashmia; 19-03-14, 11:30 AM.
                                DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME.

Comment

Working...
                                X