Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do Muslims stay in NY

Assalamu Alaikum
    We will be moving to NY for 10 months in August since my husband has received a scholarship to study at Columbia University. I have 3 kids 2 of which will need to attend school. Could you please give me an indication of areas where I would find other muslims staying. I would like to my kids to attend a school where there are other muslim kids because I see on the internet that there is alot of Islamophobia over there and I wouldn't like them to be treated badly or bullied. I am currently form Cape Town South Africa so I actually know very little about what its like in the US.

Thank You

Re: Where do Muslims stay in NY

Originally posted by fuzzyb View Post
    Assalamu Alaikum
    We will be moving to NY for 10 months in August since my husband has received a scholarship to study at Columbia University. I have 3 kids 2 of which will need to attend school. Could you please give me an indication of areas where I would find other muslims staying. I would like to my kids to attend a school where there are other muslim kids because I see on the internet that there is alot of Islamophobia over there and I wouldn't like them to be treated badly or bullied. I am currently form Cape Town South Africa so I actually know very little about what its like in the US.

Thank You
    Dont worry about islamophobia NYC is a melting pot its not as bad as you thinl. I was born and raised here and if you ask me more people looked at us strangely before 9/11 then now. Also there are muslim schools all over but of course tuition is kind of high.

Theres plenty of muslims up there by columbia university. A few masjids are around there. There alot of African muslims up that way and in the Bronx
    Last edited by Muzdalifah; 16-03-14, 01:39 PM.

Comment

thanks for the reply its great to hear from muslims in New York because the picture you get from the Internet is not so great. I have come across the muslim schools but the tuition is to high for us so it looks like it will probably be public schools for us. Are there lots of muslim kids in the public schools ?

Comment

Brooklyn is heavily populated with Muslims, mostly of south again origin. Nevertheless, a plethora of Muslim schools and shops etc. it is also an easy commute to Columbia.

I wouldn't worry too much of the islamophobia. If anything, Muslims outnumber the non Muslims.

Plenty of Muslim kids in public schools.
        Allah gave us two ears and one mouth, so we can listen more and talk less.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzyb View Post
          Assalamu Alaikum

Thank You
          Walakam Salam sister,

Alhamdulillah congrats to your husband on obtaining a scholarship to a very good university. My husband and I are part of a nice muslim community in Bath Beach/Bensonhurst Brooklyn. The name of the Masjid that we go to is called Al-Ansar https://www.facebook.com/AlAnsarCenter It's a very nice small and home away from home masjid. The imams mother is everyones mom and is loving and welcoming to all =) They offer programs for kids & adults to learn Arabic & Tajweed. A few of the parents send their kids to a school called Al-Noor on 4th avenue in Brooklyn. Bath Beach/Bensonhurst is one of the many neighborhoods with a diverse population of Muslims in Brooklyn as well as Bay Ridge, Kensington, Brighton Beach and others. My favorite among all is Bath Beach/Bensonhurst because there have 2 very strong masjids MAS (Muslim American Society) and Al-Ansar. They both are very involved in the community. They offer events/programs to bring families into the masjid. Outside of Brooklyn I'm not very familiar with the Muslim communities. The only other masjid I regularly attend is ICNYU which is located in New York University in Manhattan. They also offer regular programs there and have guest speakers from Bayinah Institute like Sheikh Abdul Nasir Jangda and Sheikh Wisam Sharif. The population there is very diverse and attracts Muslims from all over NYC - reverts, born muslims, Asians, Africans, Arabs, Americans, Hispanics, etc. Where will you be living when you move? Don't worry about the Islamaphobia in NYC. It' s a very diverse population here.
          Last edited by Zahira13; 16-03-14, 08:25 PM.

Comment

:wswrwb:

Look for housing in Brooklyn or Queens. These are places with many Muslim communities. Lots of masjids here, as well as Islamic schools (though not as many - but growing). Rent is high compared to RSA, of course. 1 bedroom goes for around $1000 to $1200 (that's 10700 - 12900 ZAR).

Also, whatever you do, DO NOT send your kids to public schools. PLEASE, DO NOT. Pay the higher tuition, but save them from these public schools. You can even homeschool them.
            Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
            - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Thank You so much for all the replies. This really helps me alot with my planning for the trip. So I will now definitely look at Brooklyn as the most likely place to stay. It is also reassuring to hear from New Yorkers that the Islamophobia is not really such a big thing as the internet makes it out to be.

Comment

Working...
              X