Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muslim Women: Have you ever been treated badly because of the way you dress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muslim Women: Have you ever been treated badly because of the way you dress?

Salam Alaykum.
    Has anyone ever treated you badly or differently based on the way you dress; Hijab? What did you do about it?
    This has happened to me a few times. Mostly is just rudely staring; other times, but very rare, are words.
    Thanks for anyone who takes the time to look at this.
    Last edited by petals; 13-04-14, 07:36 PM.

Re: Muslim Women: Have you ever been treated badly because of the way you dress?

yes lol almost everytime im out.

when I was in uk I got it too by some bald white guys.

Comment

Re: Muslim Women: Have you ever been treated badly because of the way you dress?

:wswrwb:

no I haven't

Comment

Originally posted by Islam3333 View Post

no I haven't
        mmm/... it is adressed to females....

As for me, well considering i live in france, I should be but alhamdullilah i've never got anything wrong said to me. Since i pay attention to no one in the street, can't know if im being looked at or not lol. But in some areas (like super posh where they never saw a Muslim) I have fun making them....suspicious

but here in the uk, one drunk guy said he liked my scarf :)
        My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername :o
        Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

yes.
          it used to bother me when i didn't know much about my islamic identity but not so much now.

chances are, you will never see this person again.
          time is a great healer.

without sounding rude, they're not very important so don't give them too much thought.
          'And when a thing for which you ask is slow to come,
          Then know that often through delay are gifts received'
          علي الحبشي

Comment

emmm no, not really but popele do look at you with teh asumption that you dont speak english and know nothing.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

please donate to the Ummah forum sadaqa jariya project. Click on the link for for more information, and to make a donation- https://www.justgiving.com/sadaqah-jariyah-project/

Comment

wa alaykum assalam

When it happens, I say Alhamdulillah :)

Also, I try and remain well behaved as well...which then confuses them at times because they are in the hope that a reaction will occur ...why give them the satisfaction :)

Please note; while this is fine, there are times when we must stand our ground and not take any nonsense as well, ie I will never ever ever tolerate a bad word against Allah azza wa jal from anyone, including my own family. But again, there are ways to make the point without looking like a maniac!!

It is a balance really. And can be hard.

Comment

Am used to it now so :alhumdull altho havnt happened to me for good long time now, thumma :alhumdull

Couldnt do nothing since each time it has happened, i was alone, never happens when am with someone lol i wonder why

Ugly stares and foul mouth dont bother me tbh what really makes going out uneasy for me is when its something physical, that does make me stay in and never leave the front door lol

Narrated Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri radhiallaahu anh and Abu Hurayrah radhiallaahu anh: Rasulullaah :saw: said, "No fatigue, nor disease, nor sorrow, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that."

Sis, strangers should least affect you, if you are being ridiculed for your islaam then remember you are doing something right :insha:

I used to say in my mind YOU STUPID IDIOT DONKEY MONKEY loooooool but when in one class i learnt the incident of Rasulullaah :saw: going to ta'if to do dawah :sub: that helped me control my quick bad reaction in such situations and I rather pray for their hidaya now.

inshort dont let it affect you and remember this hadith during these times :)

sigpic

Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta Khalaqtani wa ana'abduka, wa ana 'ala 'ahdika wa Wa'dika mastata'tu A'uidhubika min sharri ma sana'tu.' abu'u Laka bi ni 'matika wa'ala abu'u bidhanbi; faghfirli fa'innahu la yaghfiru-dh-dhunuba illa anta.
                O Allah, You are my Lord, none has the right to be worshipped except You, You created me and I am Your servant and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best I can, I take refuge in You from the evil of which I have committed. I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledgemy sin, so forgive me, for verilynone can forgive sin except You.

We are accountable for every letter we post here, so think before posting and maintain modesty.

Comment

When I first started to wear the hijab people did not like it. After a few days later, I couldn't care less.
                  "Try to distance yourself from everything that causes you worry and sadness, so that you may always live with peace of mind and an open and tranquil heart, seeking Allah and His worship and working on your worldly and otherworldly matters, for if you try this, you will find rest.

Comment

:wswrwb: stares from non muslims i can handle, they dont know any better and vast majority of ppl are nice enough once u start smiling and talking to them.

its the comments about my race/skin colour from muslims that i cant deal with. thats the heartbreaker.
                    "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

they are not important in your life, so don't give their opinion any weight when it comes to doing the right thing.
                      "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
                        its the comments about my race/skin colour from muslims that i cant deal with. thats the heartbreaker.
                        just think of it as animal mentality

I do LOOOOOOL

ignorant they know no better

May Allah reward all of u n make it easy n guide the ignorants ameen

==

petals it must be difficult but remember u are the guided one n on the straight path n u will be rewarded for it

do not despair, ur sisters all over the world know how u feel

n u never know it may be a convo starter, u could help guide ppl to Islam
                        My ♥ only lets الله‎ in

Comment

Sure. There are hideous chavs everywhere. sometimes I confront and sometimes I leave it.

Comment

yes, but you just get used to it after a while and just ignore
                            most of the time its staring, rude comments and idiots yelling at you in the streets. sometimes things get physical. (hasn't happened to me yet but some relatives)
                            they throw a few things your way at times lol.

I don't really do anything, its best to just ignore them usually they shut up. sometimes you may have to say something back but usually you don't
                            "O you who have believed, shall I guide you to a transaction that will save you from a painful punishment?
                            (It is that) you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
                            He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens beneath which rivers flow and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence. That is the great attainment"

"And (you will obtain) another (favour) that you love - victory from Allah and an imminent conquest; and give good tidings to the believers"

Comment

It's funny, but I received all bigoted comments from people in 'liberal' and "tolerant' New York and New Jersey. But then I lived in Louisiana and then Georgia, and no one has ever said anything to me (at least to my face).
                              Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
                              Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X