[sisters please] A revert and hijab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [sisters please] A revert and hijab

This is specifically addressed to those of you ladies who have reverted, but may also be of interest to born Muslimahs - when and why did you start wearing hijab, and what where the reactions of your friends and family? I am thinking seriously of reverting, but this is one of the many questions I have.

Re: [sisters please] A revert and hijab

I am born one..wear it since childhood...but we wear long shawls or burqas..kinda hijab too in our own areas.No reaction since its a common practice...Although in outside world people may look at you with different responces...just ignore.And revert asap ...dont delay shahadah...who knows death might approach you...
    ".......He giveth and spendeth (of His bounty) as He pleaseth. But the revelation that cometh to thee from Allah increaseth in most of them (kuffar) their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy.Amongst them we have placed enmity and hatred till the Day of Judgment. Every time they kindle the fire of war, Allah doth extinguish it;but they (ever) strive to do mischief on earth. And Allah loveth not those who do mischief."(5:64)

Comment

I know, I feel it keenly. But I'm not ready, there'sstill so much I don;t know, and I want to talk to my hsuband more about it.

Comment

Take you're time :)

I want to start wearing hijab but my parents don't know I'm a Muslim and I still live at home. It took me ages to 'get it' after converting to Islam and I couldn't really understand what it was all about but it came to me eventually with time.

I can't wait, I'm sick of doing my hair in the morning and having to wash it before work when it's greasy (I lose an hour in bed )

Comment

Assalam alaykum sister,

I am a formerly christian Latina who converted to Islam alhamdulillah back in 2012. I began to wear the hijab exactly one year ago February 2013. It was a very difficult transition for me as I have very long hair that I was always getting attention for. I felt as if everyone and anyone was staring at me everywhere I went. My sisters in Islam were very supportive of my decision but my family were not too happy about it. When I began to wear it I started with a slow transition by just covering my head with a wrap, its usually the way African woman cover their heads. Then gradually I started doing the whole hijab covering head, neck and shoulders. Today I mostly wear long skirts and abayas and hardly ever wear pants unless I have a long shirt down to my knees to cover it. I am very happy with the decision to wear hijab. I feel that it makes you think about your actions more and keeps you in the straight path when you wear hijab. It's hard to explain but it gives you an innocence that us woman need. The respect I receive from men now is much better than before. Men no longer do the ugly cat calling or stare at me. They recognize you as a woman who practices Islam and is not like the other women that show off their bodies. One of the best parts about hijab is that everyone knows you're muslim =) I call it instant dawah. People can learn about Islam simply by your actions and the way you treat other people. Some people that are against hijab look at it as just a peace of cloth but it is so much more significant than that. It has made such a positive impact in my life and has brought me closer to the deen. Today my family is still not too thrilled about it but I just wear pretty scarves to please them =)

Comment

Oh wow. I'm mind blown in a good way. I have been seeing your posts around the forum, prayed for your guidance and saw in a dream you make a thread saying ''I've reverted'' now come on here to see this. Alhamdulilah. May Allah make my dream come true.

Back on topic : I'm a born Muslim.

Covered my hair from the age of 11. Was my choice. Mommy wanted me to wait till I hit puberty first but I didn't want.

However I still wore short skirts, shirts and pants in public =/ till I hit puberty than I ditched the short skirts and Shirts.

When I turned 18 I ditched the pants and started wearing dresses/skirts only. I'm still keen on improving my hijab (not fully there yet)

Take it a step by step love. First convert, then learn Islam properly, learn how to pray and when you are ready add Hijab to that. :)
            Gone with the wind.

Comment

:salams
              I started wearing a head scarf around a week of taking my shahaddah then abaya a year later. Erm my Father didn't take it too well at first but now he has accepted alhamdulillah. It will come naturally :insha:
              ▪️••• 〰 Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response, but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs. 〰 •••▪️

~ IMAM SHAFI'I RH

Comment

Thank you for your answers. It is very beautiful - my husband thinks so too, even though he is not really interested in Islam.

Comment

Is your husband a Muslim?

Hijab looks so beautiful and elegant :inlove:

To the people who do wear it - what was it like first time you left your house wearing it? How did people (who know you) react if they saw you?

Comment

No, my husband is not a Muslim.

Comment

Assalamu alaykum,

I actually didn't start wearing the hijab right away. I waited until I moved to another city to go to university (about 2 years after I converted).

I kind of feel like a coward for doing that but I just wasn't ready to deal with such a big change and have people see me so differently until I was confident enough. I thought it was better if I put it on the day I went to the new city so that people there would see me with hijab from day one.

Alhamdulilah I haven't taken it off and even when I went back to visit my family I kept the hijab and subhanAllah had such a positive response from those who I thought would be the most judgmental. Although I have to admit I was always paranoid that someone would come up to me and starting asking all of these questions and being really rude and offensive etc. Alhamdulilah that never happened.

I do wish that I had had the confidence to wear the hijab right away...or much sooner anyway but what's done is done.

My family laughed at me when they first saw me it in. They used to take the mick out of me when it came to Islam anyway so it was expected. I felt like an outsider from my family but they never meant to hurt me. I have a much better relationship with them now...because I'm far away and I don't have to put up with them anymore! just kidding....kind of ..but learning about Islam made me have so much more respect for my mother and my sister is used to the fact that I will call all of her 'activities' haram and try to convert her. Inchallah one day!

Hmm what else to say...I didn't really feel any pressure to wear the hijab. Actually the only people who told me you must do it were some Algerian guys who weren't exactly...let's just leave that it's not good to reveal sins etc. Anyway I think hijab is a beautiful thing. It's not just cloth and reading more about it and hearing sisters speak about it will help in your understanding and gain love of it. It is something we have to do but do it in your own time. There are so many stories of sisters (not just reverts) who put it on then took it off and put it on and took it off ....just make sure you are ready to commit to it when you do it.

And Inchallah you will say the shahada as soon as possible and become a muslimah :)

Comment

I put it on the day I reverted. It's changed "style" over the years, but I've never taken it off. Now I feel nakie without it on. It's like trying to leave the house without a jacket in a snowstorm, you just can't do it lol.

Much of family didn't really react. Some of my cousins still mock it, like calling me towelhead or something, but I don't really care what they think. *I remember walking with my mom and telling her "I'm converting to Islaam and that means i'm going to do this and this". I mentioned hijab. She was depressed for years because she thought I abandoned God (I never told her I was agnostic). She still refuses to discuss religion with me but she treats me the same as always (I'm still the favorite child :o )
                        Last edited by |Sister|; 26-02-14, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X