Converting to Islam and wearing a Niqab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Converting to Islam and wearing a Niqab

I will try to answer your questions as good as I can and I'm so happy to hear that you've been introduced to Islam sis.
    I'm also happy you decided to ask this question, so you will understand the importance of modesty in Islam. The modesty and dress code that Islam brings to the table is the key for you to free yourself from this society. Islam and modesty goes hand in hand together. It is something that Allah all mighty has ordered us to do so that we can be recognized as muslim women and stay protected, says clearly in the quran here http://quran.com/33/59 And when you follow the proper dress, it will be hard to forget the other aspects of modesty that Islam teaches us to have.
    1. People will stare and whisper but it shouldn't be bothering if you're doing it for the sake of Allah sister...if you're pleasing Allah all mighty in the way you dress then how can other people's opinions matter? It's YOU this is about not others, who are they to look down on someone who's following the right path?

2. How does it feel to be covered completely and wear niqab? It feels amazing!! can't describe it. you will feel so protected and honored. Your beauty isn't for anybody else but your husband and your family.

3. No it's not difficult to walk, abayas and khimars and all that, are so flowy you know.

4.Yes it's easy to breath. There's barely a difference but during winter times when your breath gets hot, you will feel it a bit + there will be a little damp spot on your mouth area because of your hot breath and it might be visible to others but you can barely see it lol..

5. Khimar is better for you as it covers more and it's super modest...and it's not as much of a struggle as a hijab like you don't need to pin it and stuff and since you have kids, it will be easier to wear the khimar around them.

6. Your abaya is ok if it's past your ankles, it can absolutely touch the ground but if it's rainy or snowy, it will get wet and sticky at the bottom but yeah it's fine as long it passes your legs and ankles. If your abaya isn't see through, you can wear normal clothes like jeans or leggings but If it's see through even the slightest like if people can tell the shape of your legs, then I would advise you to wear a thin skirt or skirt that's long underneath the abaya.

7. Alhamdulillah I wear the niqab and It's the best choice for a muslim woman when it comes to Islamic dress code. It's just so beautiful. And I would advise you to read this: http://islam.about.com/od/dress/p/clothing_reqs.htm which tells lightly about the Islamic dress code and this which goes deeply into the covering of the face http://ibnfarooq.tripod.com/niqaab.htm

The BEST for you is to fully adopt the Islamic dress code but if you can not then do as much of it as you can because it's better to try than do nothing sis.

And since you have 2 young daughters, I would advice you to start introducing them to the Islamic dress code for girls and women but depending on their age I don't know how to advice you really but start by long sleeves, loser pants and so on and if they're old enough like 6-8 then they should also start wearing small one piece hijabs when they go outdoors/school or something like that so they could also be recognized as muslim girls and therefore not be disturbed by boys :) If they're older than I think, Then they should adopt the same dress code as you if they've reached puberty because they're women according to Islam.

If Allah wills, I hope this journey of yours will be a beautiful and successful one sister for you and your family.
    Last edited by IdilH; 23-02-14, 04:01 PM.
    [SIZE=4][CENTER][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]❀[/FONT][/COLOR][SIZE=4]الدولة الإسلامية[/SIZE][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]❀[/FONT][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [/SIZE][RIGHT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=me_quran]
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/RIGHT]
    [RIGHT]
    [/RIGHT]

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
      what do you know about hijab or niqab except from what you read in fiqh books? Nothing

she is not even reverted subhannallah and she is being told she has to wear it, where is the honesty in that? These people havent told her "it is ok if you dont, it is ok if you do depends on you and your madhab BUT the hijab is fardh at least". Does she even know salat or any scholar?

Just think a little there are priorities and the first one is actually shahada

And you come like a little flower "go for it" like it's buying an ice-cream and say that we are putting her off subhannallah, are we pushing her to sin too?

I dont wear the niqab, since (shocking) i dont hold the opinion that you have to wear it;

And yes we know better because we wear it it is personal and it is not explained in a fiqh book. Hijab a bit more than just a rule we follow for the sake of it. What's next you're going to teach me how to wear nail polish?
      Eaxctly it's your opinion
      Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response, but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs

~ IMAM SHAFI'I RH

Comment

Originally posted by cooldog View Post
        Go for it , dont listen to the crazy feminist posting above.
        Learn what feminism is or who is a feminist and who isn't before commenting.

Anyway to the OP, I think the other sisters do have a point with taking things step by step if you feel uncomfortable at first.

However, if you feel that you can wear it straight away then yes go for it, but please make sure your ready and put your trust in Allah.

I don't wear a niqab although I would love to inshaallah so I can't really help with how it feels ect.

Comment

Congratulations on you and your husband's decision to accept Islam! May Allah make it easy for you and your family.

Maybe start with wearing long dresses and skirts and wearing only loose, long-sleeved tops to get used to dressing more modestly.

You also might want to purchase an abaya, khimar, and niqab and try wearing it around your house to see how it feels and get used to seeing yourself in it. It will also be nice for your family(especially your little girls) to get used to seeing you this way as well. Maybe do an online search for "abaya" and "niqab" so you can check out different online stores to purchase them from and see which style you prefer. Or you can even do an image search and see how it can look on different people. There are different ways to wear them and it's good to find a way that will be comfortable for you so that you can be happy to put it on every day. :)

Also, this isn't spoken about often, but men also have a dress code and aren't supposed to expose anything between their knee and navel to anyone except their wife. This means no typical men's shorts or going out shirtless for your husband as those areas will be exposed. It's better if he dresses modestly and wears looser clothing to not define his body with a longer shirt to cover his private area. It's also preferable for him to not shave his moustache and beard. I say these things because that is often a contradiction where many think that only women have a responsibility about their appearance. Your husband can make these changes as you make yours so that you both will have support in each other :insha: (God willing).

How you are perceived by society will depend a LOT on the society that you live in. Most large cities have seen/experienced women wearing hijab and niqab. But smaller towns and rural areas may not be as used to it so you may get some staring and pointing, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Allah's_Servant View Post
            Oh my..... Sister calm down okay. Islam is an easy religion.

Are you ready to wear Niqab?
            Yes, I am ready to wear Niqab,

Comment

Originally posted by Tharshini View Post
              Hi everyone

Me and my husband are converting to Islam very soon, We were introduced to Islam by our neighbours who convinced us that we should take up to islam, after thinking about it for 2 years my husband wanted to convert so I also agreed along with our *2 young *daughters. They have told me that once I convert I will be required to cover my self completely. I have some questions that i will want some understanding.

I have been advised I wear an abaya, cover the head (with a hijab or khimar) and wear a niqab (3 layer niqab ) and gloves for my hands.

1.I am very nervous about being covered completely, also but scared , how will people see me and being used be seen with myself visible covering my self makes me think how will i look in society?

2.How does it feel to be covered completely and wear niqab?

3.Is it difficult to walk when we are covered

4.Will it be easy to breathe? Does it get hot inside.

5.I was wondering what should I use to cover my head a *hijab or a khimar? Which one is convenient?

6.How long should be my abaya ? Should it be touching the ground or just above it? Should I wear something inbetween my abaya and normal clothing?

7. I would like some opinions from ladies who wear niqab*

Thanks
              1. People will react its apart of life whether in niqab or not. you don't worry about what people will think of you or if theyre scared etc. you worry about what allah swt thinks of you n if your fulfilling his commandments. that's the only thing that matters, not peoples opinions.

2. it feels great! no one can see my sleepy face n messed up hair:p

3. nope

4. it gets hot at times but its okay its not like its stuck there forever.

5. should use something scarf or khimar whatever is your preference actually.

6. abaya should touch ground n drag like the sunnah. you only wear regular clothes underneath nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by seagulls1999 View Post
                Sister if you don't wear niqab then what do you know about it except as you put it 'what you read in fiqh books'. And we don't follow the commands of Allah or the Sunnah just because we feel like it but because they are the commands and they are the Sunnah. How do we learn the commands of Allah and the Sunnah, through the explanations in fiqh books.

I never once said that you were putting her off but I just advised the OP not to let the comments put her off from wearing it. Also she might not have learnt salah but that doesn't mean she can't wear niqab?!
                I still know better than you since I actually have friends who wear it and like to tell how it happened and we like to listen. And they certainly didn't start wearing it thanks to comments like yours.
                what comment put her off? We just said to be cautious because it is a commitment and this is maybe "putting off"?

anyway SHE alone has decided

Originally posted by Hannahk92 View Post
                thank you for stating the obvious i was doubting myself

Yes, I am ready to wear Niqab,
                and now i say : go for it.
                My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername :o
                Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Take everything a step at a time, and god willing everything will be fine before you know it.

Comment

Please,let's all welcome sister and her family to Islam .May Allah swt guide you and family to Islam.
                    Visit my channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

Comment

Originally posted by Sharmeen View Post
                      Alhumdulillah you have chosen the right path Sister. I'm a born Muslim but still I'm not in Hijab or Niqab. I just wear selwar kamiz and cover my head. But soon in sha Allah I'll get covered, like entirely. I live in a Muslim country so it wouldn't be tough for me. As you are new to Islam, go a bit slow. Explore things then choose what you want to do. I feel niqab is better.
                      Thanks for your suggestion, but it also depends on circumstances, like I am being guided towards Islam and they prefer me being completely covered,also my husband also prefers me to be covered completely so I will have to start wearing the niqab once I say the shahada

Comment

Sister take it step by step... I started off wearing a head scarf then moved on to abaya.. and will :insha: be wearing a niqaab soon. If you make the huge jump you could come to resenting it. At first you will feel like everything is staring at you... that's completely natural... that feeling will soon fade. First and foremost we should be identifying as Muslims and not be afraid to show that we are Muslim.
                        Thank you, but the community I live in believe that it's important for ladies particularly married women like me to wear a niqab , my husband also believes in it so I felt I should start wearing the hijab straight away.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion, but it also depends on circumstances, like I am being guided towards Islam and they prefer me being completely covered,also my husband also prefers me to be covered completely so I will have to start wearing the niqab once I say the shahada
                          Then keep no doubts in your heart sister. Don't feel nervous. You will get used to soon in sha Allah. :) Such a good news! Allahu Akbar!
                          Choose Hajj Packages & Umrah Packages From Ahmed Travel, :insha:

Comment

Its not her opinion, there is a genuine difference of opinion on the niqab

Coming back to the OP, Inshallah you will be OK, if you have made that decision, go for it, May Allah swt guide you and make it easy for you.

Comment

awww this is so cute and alhamdullah you and your WHOLE family are converting to islam. This is awesome
                              Hi everyone

Me and my husband are converting to Islam very soon, We were introduced to Islam by our neighbours who convinced us that we should take up to islam, after thinking about it for 2 years my husband wanted to convert so I also agreed along with our *2 young *daughters. They have told me that once I convert I will be required to cover my self completely. I have some questions that i will want some understanding.

I have been advised I wear an abaya, cover the head (with a hijab or khimar) and wear a niqab (3 layer niqab ) and gloves for my hands.

1.I am very nervous about being covered completely, also but scared , how will people see me and being used be seen with myself visible covering my self makes me think how will i look in society?

2.How does it feel to be covered completely and wear niqab?

3.Is it difficult to walk when we are covered

4.Will it be easy to breathe? Does it get hot inside.

5.I was wondering what should I use to cover my head a *hijab or a khimar? Which one is convenient?

6.How long should be my abaya ? Should it be touching the ground or just above it? Should I wear something inbetween my abaya and normal clothing?

7. I would like some opinions from ladies who wear niqab*

Thanks
                              Raindrops.hail.ouch

Comment

Hi everyone

Me and my husband are converting to Islam very soon
                                Hi Tharshini

Before you worry about hijab or niqab you and your husband should say the shahada asap. It is an Islamic concept to believe that death can approach us at any second and we should seek to return to Allah The Most Beneficent and The Most Merciful in the best state possible. You cannot guarantee you'll be alive in next hour, nevermind the next day or week.

So as soon as you finish reading this post go and say your shahada. It will be the most important and valuable action you ever take, don't miss the opportunity so many others have missed.
                                Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم , Sahih Muslim 16/146

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X