Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to Islam and wearing a Niqab

Hi everyone

Me and my husband are converting to Islam very soon, We were introduced to Islam by our neighbours who convinced us that we should take up to islam, after thinking about it for 2 years my husband wanted to convert so I also agreed along with our *2 young *daughters. They have told me that once I convert I will be required to cover my self completely. I have some questions that i will want some understanding.

I have been advised I wear an abaya, cover the head (with a hijab or khimar) and wear a niqab (3 layer niqab ) and gloves for my hands.

1.I am very nervous about being covered completely, also but scared , how will people see me and being used be seen with myself visible covering my self makes me think how will i look in society?

2.How does it feel to be covered completely and wear niqab?

3.Is it difficult to walk when we are covered

4.Will it be easy to breathe? Does it get hot inside.

5.I was wondering what should I use to cover my head a *hijab or a khimar? Which one is convenient?

6.How long should be my abaya ? Should it be touching the ground or just above it? Should I wear something inbetween my abaya and normal clothing?

7. I would like some opinions from ladies who wear niqab*

Thanks

Re: Converting to Islam and wearing a Niqab

Oh my..... Sister calm down okay. Islam is an easy religion.

Are you ready to wear Niqab?
    Don't depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in the darkness

Comment

Assalaam alaykum sister, alhamdulilah that your heart it coming towards Allah swt it's a very beautiful thing masha'Allah for you and your family :)

Honestly my personal advice is to take gradual steps in terms of deen and take your time to get acclimatised to practices. Don't do something you're not ready to do and definitely don't let others force you into something because in the end of the day it's incumbent upon you to first seek knowledge about the matter from authentic sources and from learned esteemed people in Islam (especially those you can relate to) then making your intention to do it for Allah swt and not peer pressure.

It's better for you to be consistent and improve in deen gradually than to take a massive jump (if you're not ready) and then have a big come down effect. Not sure if I'm making sense, but the deen is simple so I hope insha'Allah my words will give you comfort in making the right decision for yourself and your deen.

Comment

ma sha Allah

who told you you need to cover completely? Subhannallah

it is so huge if it doesnt come from you honestly it wont work.

Be constant in little things, niqab will come by itself if you want to, and if you dont it is still okay, not wearing niqab is not a sin.
        deen is easy we should not make it complicated
        My Blog http://historyeyesopened.tumblr.com/ Watch out sister Nousername :o
        Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

Converting to Islam and wearing a Niqab

Walaykumsalam

Sister. I think you should start from the hijab first inshaAllah? It's a massive jump.
          The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’an: ‘Read, and ascend, and recite as you used to recite in the [previous] world, for your status will be according to the last verse that you recite.’” [At-Tirmidhi (2914) and Abu Dawood (1464)]

Comment

Sister don't let the above posters put you off from wearing a niqab, I say put your trust in Allah and go for it!
            Last edited by seagulls1999; 23-02-14, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by seagulls1999 View Post
              Sister don't let the above posters put you off from wearing a niqab, I say put your trust in Allah and go for it!
              no one has putting her off learn to read and actually mind a business that is yours only. I believe sisters know better how to advise on this topic than you.

do sisters tell you how to wear the beard or how it feels to wear a qamis?

I dont think so please show the same courtesy
              Ummah forum mentality depiction by BBC (warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w

Comment

I would advice you to do it step by step. As far is I know a niqaab is not mandatory. If I'm wrong than show me a quran verse or a shaheeh hadeeth people.

Start with a simple hijaab and when you get used to that and feel comfortable enough than you can take it a step further.
                Brothers want like 4 wives, can't even handle like 5 prayers.

Comment

Alhumdulillah you have chosen the right path Sister. I'm a born Muslim but still I'm not in Hijab or Niqab. I just wear selwar kamiz and cover my head. But soon in sha Allah I'll get covered, like entirely. I live in a Muslim country so it wouldn't be tough for me. As you are new to Islam, go a bit slow. Explore things then choose what you want to do. I feel niqab is better.
                  Choose Hajj Packages & Umrah Packages From Ahmed Travel, :insha:

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
                    no one has putting her off learn to read and actually mind a business that is yours only. I believe sisters know better how to advise on this topic than you.

do sisters tell you how to wear the beard or how it feels to wear a qamis?

I dont think so please show the same courtesy
                    Sister you talk about courtesy but you tell me to learn to read and tell me to mind my own business when the sister posted a question not directed towards one gender.Furthermore i would remove the 'my way or the high way' attitude, just because you follow an opinion that says wearing a niqab is not wajib, doesn't means other people do.

I also disagree when you say sister know how to advise better on this topic than brothers.Also I assume you wear the niqab regularly or have done so in the past?
                    Last edited by seagulls1999; 23-02-14, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Sister take it step by step... I started off wearing a head scarf then moved on to abaya.. and will :insha: be wearing a niqaab soon. If you make the huge jump you could come to resenting it. At first you will feel like everything is staring at you... that's completely natural... that feeling will soon fade. First and foremost we should be identifying as Muslims and not be afraid to show that we are Muslim.
                      Say what you wish in abuse of me, for my silence towards the idiot is indeed an answer. I am not at a loss for a response, but rather it does not befit the lion to answer the dogs

~ IMAM SHAFI'I RH

Comment

Originally posted by seagulls1999 View Post
                        Sister you talk about courtesy but you tell me to learn to read and tell me to mind my own business when the sister posted a question not directed towards one gender.Furthermore i would remove the 'my way or the high way' attitude, just because you follow an opinion that says wearing a niqab is not wajib, doesn't means other people do.

I also disagree when you say sister know how to advise better on this topic than brothers.Also I assume you wear the niqab regularly or have done so in the past?
                        what do you know about hijab or niqab except from what you read in fiqh books? Nothing

she is not even reverted subhannallah and she is being told she has to wear it, where is the honesty in that? These people havent told her "it is ok if you dont, it is ok if you do depends on you and your madhab BUT the hijab is fardh at least". Does she even know salat or any scholar?

Just think a little there are priorities and the first one is actually shahada

And you come like a little flower "go for it" like it's buying an ice-cream and say that we are putting her off subhannallah, are we pushing her to sin too?

I dont wear the niqab, since (shocking) i dont hold the opinion that you have to wear it;

And yes we know better because we wear it it is personal and it is not explained in a fiqh book. Hijab a bit more than just a rule we follow for the sake of it. What's next you're going to teach me how to wear nail polish?

Comment

Go for it .
                          Last edited by -Yassar; 23-02-14, 05:32 PM. Reason: Uncalled for.

Comment

All praise is due to Allah who has guided you to Islam. Since I'm not a female I can't really tell you how it feels etc, but what I can say is. Take things slow, you don't want to become a burnout. Because when people first start taking the Religion seriously they have a lot of zeal, and do everything all at once. But slowly they start losing that passion and become overwhelmed. My advice is start with the basics (learning how to pray, oneness of Allah, the life of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and of course wearing Hijab is obligatory. May Allah make it easy for you. Ameen.
                            "The organisation that is called as "the state" puts effort to destroy jihad in Sham as they destroyed it in Iraq because of their obvious transgressions against Quran and Sunnah." Abu Khalid as-Suri (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Originally posted by Massilia View Post
                              what do you know about hijab or niqab except from what you read in fiqh books? Nothing

she is not even reverted subhannallah and she is being told she has to wear it, where is the honesty in that? These people havent told her "it is ok if you dont, it is ok if you do depends on you and your madhab BUT the hijab is fardh at least". Does she even know salat or any scholar?

Just think a little there are priorities and the first one is actually shahada

And you come like a little flower "go for it" like it's buying an ice-cream and say that we are putting her off subhannallah, are we pushing her to sin too?

I dont wear the niqab, since (shocking) i dont hold the opinion that you have to wear it;

And yes we know better because we wear it it is personal and it is not explained in a fiqh book. Hijab a bit more than just a rule we follow for the sake of it. What's next you're going to teach me how to wear nail polish?
                              Sister if you don't wear niqab then what do you know about it except as you put it 'what you read in fiqh books'. And we don't follow the commands of Allah or the Sunnah just because we feel like it but because they are the commands and they are the Sunnah. How do we learn the commands of Allah and the Sunnah, through the explanations in fiqh books.

I never once said that you were putting her off but I just advised the OP not to let the comments put her off from wearing it. Also she might not have learnt salah but that doesn't mean she can't wear niqab?!
                              Last edited by seagulls1999; 23-02-14, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X