I neee to deal woth my mother over wish to start fasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I neee to deal woth my mother over wish to start fasting

While my praying is coming along somewhat alhamdu Allah, the next step I want to take is fasting Ramadan and limiting daily meals to 2. However my mother argues me that I shouldn't do this while I still live at home. She argues that fasting and limited amount of meals are not suitable in the northern hermisphere were day length depends on seasons (which leads to nightless nights in summer, that would basically mean total abstinence in fasting for example) and things are usually cold. I know its my duty as a Muslim to follow the 5 pillars and the sunnah, but since I'm bad at quickly filing up with counter arguments in a discussion, I couldn't talk back just yet. How do I convince her that I really need to do this?
    your online source of hadiths: http://sunnah.com/
    ask me questions: ask.fm/caetratilegion

Re: I neee to deal woth my mother over wish to start fasting

Its good to hear that things are progressing well for you

Isn't it winter there now so days are shorter right?

Get up for suhur and in the morning say you already had breakfast and she won't know if you had lunch or not if you're at work. By the time to break the fast its dinner time

Comment

Originally posted by Aliyah101 View Post
      Its good to hear that things are progressing well for you

Isn't it winter there now so days are shorter right?

Get up for suhur and in the morning say you already had breakfast and she won't know if you had lunch or not if you're at work. By the time to break the fast its dinner time
      yes, but as time progresses, the starting times for prayers move everyday by little. By the time in next week, morning prayer will be 15 minutes earlier than now and night prayer 15 minutes later than now. By summer they might be very close to each other.

I don't know when the next Ramadan will start so its hard to predict where I will be then. Most likely I have ended my service by then and am possibly in a temporary job.
      your online source of hadiths: http://sunnah.com/
      ask me questions: ask.fm/caetratilegion

Comment

Originally posted by Scutarilegion View Post
        yes, but as time progresses, the starting times for prayers move everyday by little. By the time in next week, morning prayer will be 15 minutes earlier than now and night prayer 15 minutes later than now. By summer they might be very close to each other.

I don't know when the next Ramadan will start so its hard to predict where I will be then. Most likely I have ended my service by then and am possibly in a temporary job.
        Ok I see . I guess all you can do is work on your mum and become bestie with her so when it comes to it she supports you.

Sorry I can't offer any helpful tips.

Comment

Hmm. What about saying that you want to try it first? It's still a good time to fast in Finland (morning prayer is abut 6.30 and evening prayer around 17.00) and say that you want to try it for a month, just to get a feel for it. I've had nonmuslim friends who have just wanted to try to fast and they've fasted ramadan although they're not muslims. Also you can argument that people eat too much anyway, people who are a bit hungry always tend to be more healthy (japanese people for example, or tribal cultures) and that the western style of eating is causing 70% of westerners being overweight : 0 Okay you probably should check those facts but anyway.

The next ramadan is around July-August so it is going to be boiling hot and there won't be any night at all, so if you want to fast then it's a good idea try it out first. I can say living somewhere in the North that since the sun likes to stay on the sky for 22 hours a day, you end up really exhausted and tired, will probably sleep all of your "out of work" time and are in a slight risk of overdoing it (and may end up dead) so it is VERY VERY important to have a proper experience of it in these kinds of times (the first mentioned clock times) to become able to listen to your body and to be able to recognize when it's too much (putting your health on risk is not Islamic). So tell her you just want to try it out and that you'll be really careful. It's also good if you change your food to more fat-protein type first, so that your body gets accustomed to fat burning (since in fasting that's what it will do) and then start fasting.

This is totally up to you, but I recommend leaving the eating twice a day hadith for the next step inshallah. Most people don't know what their bodies are saying anyway, so the first thing to learn is to listen to it. Also it's a bit dramatic in the eyes of your mom if you only eat twice a day. And you don't know (or more likely I don't know so I'm just yapping about) whether your body can deal with eating twice a day - if your metabolism is such that it needs more food and more frequently the outcome might be negative and bad for your health and that isn't too righteous either, although following sunnah is a great thing one cannot risk ones health for it (just like in fasting those who are not fit for doing it don't need to do it).
          6:62 "Then are they restored unto Allah, their Lord, the Just. Surely His is the judgment. And He is the most swift of reckoners."

Comment

Working...
          X