Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have epilepsy/Know someone who has epilepsy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have epilepsy/Know someone who has epilepsy?

Hi Ive recently been diagnosed with epilepsy and am feeling a bit down after hearing this, and alone seeing as no one around me has heard of it. Do you know anyone who has epilepsy? Are they able to lead a normal life?

Re: Anyone have epilepsy/Know someone who has epilepsy?

Originally posted by QuietYetHappy View Post
    Hi Ive recently been diagnosed with epilepsy and am feeling a bit down after hearing this, and alone seeing as no one around me has heard of it. Do you know anyone who has epilepsy? Are they able to lead a normal life?
    Yes, he is leading a normal life, he was diagnosed with epilepsy when he was a teenager, now he is a primary school teacher and has children and is very happy. But he cant drive car.
    Doctors have prescribed him a tablet which he will take one per day, forever.

So dont worry.

Comment

Oh, that is not good, but do not feel down. You can manage it :insha:
      Staw away from bright flashing lights and things, and do not watch TV (if you do) alone.
      I hope others can advice you better :insha:

Comment

How were you diagnosed? This doesn't make sense? If you are diagnosed and had epileptic episodes it would be evident. Someone can't just stick a label on you and prescribe medications for you.

I had epilepsy from a severe head injury as a child, I had to take medications that made me very very slow (hated it) it affected me, the medications were meant to slow down my brain as it was overactive... however I got over it and haven't had a seizure ever since alhamdulillah. I've turned out quite fine, quick in thinking, intelligent, etc... alhamdulillah.

Those that have to live with it, yes it's a very horrific paralyzing experience. I always thought I was possessed by something literally. Feeling a presence out of no where and my whole body not in my control. Very scary as a child.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed2013 View Post
          How were you diagnosed? This doesn't make sense? If you are diagnosed and had epileptic episodes it would be evident. Someone can't just stick a label on you and prescribe medications for you.

I had epilepsy from a severe head injury as a child, I had to take medications that made me very very slow (hated it) it affected me, the medications were meant to slow down my brain as it was overactive... however I got over it and haven't had a seizure ever since alhamdulillah. I've turned out quite fine, quick in thinking, intelligent, etc... alhamdulillah.

Those that have to live with it, yes it's a very horrific paralyzing experience. I always thought I was possessed by something literally. Feeling a presence out of no where and my whole body not in my control. Very scary as a child.
          I had my first fit a few months ago but the GP said that most have one fit in their lifetime, so didnt do anything at all (when ive been told they should have). Its idiopathic, theres no reason I have epilepsy its just part of my fate, not due to a injury or anything. I am the first in my family to have it
          The medications do make me slow as in they affect my memory but as I get used to taking them the effects have reduced. You say you had a feeling like you were possessed? I havent had that I have tonic clonic seizures(im literally shaking on the ground involuntarily), so im guessing you have other forms of seizures. But the fact that I have tonic clonic seizures scares me a lot. I dont remember anything at all and have memory loss after the fit for about 20 mins, but Im embarrassed about what other people think when they see me having it. To be honest its actually made me scared of my future, who would marry someone who has epilepsy, I watched a vid online of someone having a fit and you have no idea how much it scared me, if it scared me what would a potential think?

Alhumdulillah you havent had seizures since thats a great achievement. I hope i can do the same Insha Allah. If you dont mind me asking how long did it take you to stop having seizures? Are you allowed to drive?

Comment

I had my first fit a few months ago but the GP said that most have one fit in their lifetime, so didnt do anything at all (when ive been told they should have). Its idiopathic, theres no reason I have epilepsy its just part of my fate, not due to a injury or anything. I am the first in my family to have it
            The medications do make me slow as in they affect my memory but as I get used to taking them the effects have reduced. You say you had a feeling like you were possessed? I havent had that I have tonic clonic seizures(im literally shaking on the ground involuntarily), so im guessing you have other forms of seizures. But the fact that I have tonic clonic seizures scares me a lot. I dont remember anything at all and have memory loss after the fit for about 20 mins, but Im embarrassed about what other people think when they see me having it. To be honest its actually made me scared of my future, who would marry someone who has epilepsy, I watched a vid online of someone having a fit and you have no idea how much it scared me, if it scared me what would a potential think?

Alhumdulillah you havent had seizures since thats a great achievement. I hope i can do the same Insha Allah. If you dont mind me asking how long did it take you to stop having seizures? Are you allowed to drive?
            Oh yeah bro I started the meds around three when I had my injury and stopped around 10. It was pretty severe, got my first taste of a CAT scan at the age of 3. Was on Tegretol and stopped. Regular ECG scans etc...

I dunno as I recall it thats how my seizures and moments felt. I did have memory loss in some of the instances but the instances I do remember, I had a slight sense of conciousness but helplessness.

I've never had one ever since alhamdulillah... It is scary to think if it happens while you're driving or in some potentially dangerous situation .. how dangerous it could turn out. One of my hobbies is racing, so if I had it today still that would be scary...

This was 20 years ago though, I am sure treatments and medications have advanced since. I know tegretol is still in use despite it's age. And I realize different cases are... just different. I don't know much more what to say.

If it's a single episode, perhaps you are not an epileptic, however western doctors are very quick to prescribe medications and keep you on them I would be weary. My treatments started in Europe and ended in Africa (my last prescription and checkup) and I've been off ever since.
            Last edited by Ahmed2013; 12-02-14, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmed2013 View Post
              Oh yeah bro I started the meds around three when I had my injury and stopped around 10. It was pretty severe, got my first taste of a CAT scan at the age of 3. Was on Tegretol and stopped. Regular ECG scans etc...

I dunno as I recall it thats how my seizures and moments felt. I did have memory loss in some of the instances but the instances I do remember, I had a slight sense of conciousness but helplessness.

I've never had one ever since alhamdulillah... It is scary to think if it happens while you're driving or in some potentially dangerous situation .. how dangerous it could turn out. One of my hobbies is racing, so if I had it today still that would be scary...

This was 20 years ago though, I am sure treatments and medications have advanced since. I know tegretol is still in use despite it's age. And I realize different cases are... just different. I don't know much more what to say.

If it's a single episode, perhaps you are not an epileptic, however western doctors are very quick to prescribe medications and keep you on them I would be weary. My treatments started in Europe and ended in Africa (my last prescription and checkup) and I've been off ever since.
              Ive had two episodes. The first was dismissed because it was my first one but after recently having another its been confirmed I have epilepsy. If you dont mind me asking how long did it take till you didnt have any seizures at all?

Comment

Working...
              X