Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Weight Training or Martial Arts?

Originally posted by candyapple View Post
    I enjoy wrestling.... Lions... And hunting down yettis and climing the tallest hill known to man lies

And weight lifting is so freiken tough! I do it all the time, and have tiny biceps when I clinch my fists and push my arm up, hoping it will bulge up from all the training I do one day: I have a hand bag baby bag and a toddler on one arm and a 6month baby in her carrier in the othe hand... I have to race them both weights to my car before I pass out and same from the car to the door before I pass out :p
    i could use the tip on wrestling lions
    TOP MILITARY WORKOUTS http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...rkouts/archive

Comment

Originally posted by Jcobra View Post
      i could use the tip on wrestling lions
      It's Man vs. Lion in a Wrestling
      Match in Egypt
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7hAn...ient=mv-google
      TOP MILITARY WORKOUTS http://www.military.com/fitness-cent...rkouts/archive

Comment

Originally posted by Jcobra View Post
        On ne passe pas'
        :boom:
        46 & 2?

Comment

Didn't read the whole thread but I'll chime in. Two different things obviously. Weight training is a tool. Martial arts is the art of war.

If you go to a gym and don't know what you are doing or why you are there then yes it's just repetitions. I see guys at the gym for over a year lifting the exact same weights, they do random exercises, they do treadmill, they get bored, they don't get anywhere then they quit. Not surprising. You have to have a goal and purpose when you are in there and following the plan.

Martial arts on the other hand is learning how to fight. I trained martial arts for ten years right up to around the time I got married, then due to schedule had to stop.

I got obese from over-eating, stress, etc... and then I started training myself again and I got involved with lifting weights. My intent was to get in shape to train martial arts again, however the time schedule required me to be dedicated and it did not fit my schedule. I had a rotating shift even.

Martial arts is a lifestyle and was a big part of me before marriage, certainly what thought me discipline and I love discipline. However, when I got involved with lifting weights and bodybuilding, I could make my own schedule and I didn't have the need to fight or compete anymore. I abstained from many fights anyway and the wife would scream if I was close to knocking someone out, obviously I matured since, but I have a short temper for outright losers.

As such I found resolve in bodybuilding and weight training. I got stronger, I got more fit, I got better looking, I keep my temper and manners in check, it keeps me disciplined and focused, it's a stress relief, etc... and I work around my own schedule.

Both bodybuilding and martial arts are a, you vs you. Improving yourself as an individual both physically and mentally. Striving to always progress.

Now it's stupid to argue one vs the other because they are two different things. One is a tool, the other is learning theory and application of fighting. The 'tool' part is conditioning your body. Weight training will build up muscle and strength which will translate to better conditioning in a fight. More explosiveness, more power, more resilliance, more resistance, etc...

That being said, a bodybuilder will not be able to fight, because he is just building his body. You have to also train martial arts to know how to fight. You may have a very well conditioned body but it must be moulded and trained to accept the training of martial arts so you be a fighter. An unfit fat skinny whatever will be harder to train or be successul as a martial artist than someone who already conditioned themselves to be fit. It's common-sense.

It's a myth that you'll be 'slow' with muscle, no, it depends on your TRAINING STYLE and method, purpose. More muscle + explosive velocity = more destructive power.

It's also a myth that you won't be flexible, biggest bs ever, yes if you don't train for flexibility or stretch you'll be immobile (I am quite a bit now, I used to do full splits no problem for example but now no cause i stopped practicing that). However if you watch many bodybuilders and fitness models do their competitions they do athletic shows of finess, where they do full splits, gymnastics, choreography, etc... A HELL OF A LOT better than most gymnists themselves and yet they are juggurnauts in comparison! Again, complimenting their training with those routines!

You ALREADY employ resistance training in martial arts but with bodyweight training. Some martial arts DO employ weights, hung gar (which I trained), weighted forearm rings, tree trunks (yes I used to hold that with bare fingers), squats (while holding that and for half an hour), traditional okinawan karate, they will use various japanese karate specific weight training (odd shaped vases, metal objects, etc...)

So to say one is useless.. or.. combinbing weights with martial arts is foolish.. is foolish.

Bruce Lee employed bodybuilding techniques in his training, that's why he looked so conditionined. His focus was on speed and conditinoing and not necessarily all out power and strength. But think about it. He employed barbell training.

Bodybuilding is as the term states, building your body. It is taking modern knowledge and all knowledge we have in moulding, forming and training your body BUT you must know WHAT you want out of your body.

You will in fact learn faster human anatomy, muscular function/purpose and body kinematics by weight training than martial arts. You will UNDERSTAND what your body does in each movement and therefore know what you need to work on for any specific movement. For a punch, for a kick, for whatever.

Anyways long rant.

I created a martial arts section on my site: MuslimBodybuilding.com / General Discussion / MMA

Although I no longer train martial arts, I understand the theory and application. I can tell you just by looking what a certain martial arts style might stem from, what the application of any movement is, muscles employed, different philosophies/methodologies, linear, circular movements, what many martial arts are, history, etc... because I was very obsessed with martial arts... very..

However now I am not conditionined to fight.. because I'm not training for that, yet if I took 3-4 months training I would get back on track, faster than someone who would spend 2 years training, obviously because I have past experience but also because I weight train.

The key different in application of martial arts is that you will use certain muscles (especially stabilizing muscles) that you normaly wouldn't in day to day life nor in weight training. So that would be the first thing to over come, then flexibiility, then greater focus on endurance.

Also here's another example, a professional winning sprinter vs a bodybuilder who never trained for sprinting, his running technique sucked clearly, YET... he almost ran as fast as someone who professionaly trains for sprinting. Think about that. So we need to dispell these myths. Bodybuilding is building the body, more muscle is not worse, its better.

Kevine Levrone vs pro runner - sprint run

Pure powerlifters train CNS, rather than muscle... yet.. someone with MORE muscle if they train their CNS will ultimately outmatch someone in all out power and strength than someone with less muscle. Logic isn't it? It's all in variation of training and use of these tools at hand.

The concept in open hand combat, is that every limb of your body is a weapon, an extension of you. Therefore, if your legs are conditioned, your arms are conditioned, your shoudlers are condiitioned, your core is conditioned, it all translates to a better more durable more fierce fighter.
          Last edited by Ahmed2013; 11-02-14, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Martial arts any day of the week

lool

self defence and a work out, both in one, why not?
            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by candyapple View Post
              I enjoy wrestling.... Lions... And hunting down yettis and climing the tallest hill known to man lies

And weight lifting is so freiken tough! I do it all the time, and have tiny biceps when I clinch my fists and push my arm up, hoping it will bulge up from all the training I do one day: I have a hand bag baby bag and a toddler on one arm and a 6month baby in her carrier in the othe hand... I have to race them both weights to my car before I pass out and same from the car to the door before I pass out :p
              you're hardcore

that sounds manic
              'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Working...
              X