Watching women play sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching women play sports

I know what immediately comes to some minds. It's those women wearing revealing and tight clothing that play volleyball. But that's not the case here.
    There's an Islamic school in my city. It's a very big one, and it's got a good reputation in both the Muslim and non-Muslim community. The school takes part in sporting activities and is a member of the sports community for public schools (the muslim school is the only islamic one competing. The rest are secular). There's girls teams for nearly every sport: Basketball. hockey, volleyball, soccer etc. Now here's what I want to discuss. They play other schools, which means the parents and family and friends of everyone attends. And some people are saying its haraam to go and cheer our fellow sisters because watching them will cause temptation. How stupid is that? I (and 99% of the muslims in this city) do not see anything haraam about attending such events and cheering our daughters, sisters, nieces, fellow classmates, and overall, our fellow MUSLIMS. Why do people have to turn everything into a sexual topic? The non-Muslim girl players, out of respect, will dress properly, or don the hijab alltogether.

So is our community engaging in haraam? Because I seriously don't think so. Take hockey for example. Women have helmets over their heads, so you cannot see their hair. And their awrah is covered with jersey's and equipment. Why do do people automatically assume that these muslim girls are exactly the same as the ones who wear bikini's while playing beach volleyball? What goes through their heads?

BTW, my sister is on the basketball team. And no one can tell me I can't go and see my own sister play.

Re: Watching women play sports

You shia bro ?

Comment

There is something called "ghairah". Adapt it.
      Last edited by Hamza Momand; 23-01-14, 11:51 PM.

Comment

I don't know

I don't watch men playing football or any other sports because it is BORING

but something doesn't sound right about a muslim man going to watch a bunch of ladies play a game, even if they are covered.
        'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

No, are you?

Comment

well to all of us its okay.

Comment

I suggest you look it up. Those muslim women who are playing sports, including my sister, are not doing it to show off. I can see you'd think that way, but most Muslims don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali101 View Post
                I know what immediately comes to some minds. It's those women wearing revealing and tight clothing that play volleyball. But that's not the case here.
                There's an Islamic school in my city. It's a very big one, and it's got a good reputation in both the Muslim and non-Muslim community. The school takes part in sporting activities and is a member of the sports community for public schools (the muslim school is the only islamic one competing. The rest are secular). There's girls teams for nearly every sport: Basketball. hockey, volleyball, soccer etc. Now here's what I want to discuss. They play other schools, which means the parents and family and friends of everyone attends. And some people are saying its haraam to go and cheer our fellow sisters because watching them will cause temptation. How stupid is that? I (and 99% of the muslims in this city) do not see anything haraam about attending such events and cheering our daughters, sisters, nieces, fellow classmates, and overall, our fellow MUSLIMS. Why do people have to turn everything into a sexual topic? The non-Muslim girl players, out of respect, will dress properly, or don the hijab alltogether.

So is our community engaging in haraam? Because I seriously don't think so. Take hockey for example. Women have helmets over their heads, so you cannot see their hair. And their awrah is covered with jersey's and equipment. Why do do people automatically assume that these muslim girls are exactly the same as the ones who wear bikini's while playing beach volleyball? What goes through their heads?

BTW, my sister is on the basketball team. And no one can tell me I can't go and see my own sister play.
                You can't go and see your sister play, why would you want to see your sister in shorts, let alone other women?

Do not invest your hopes in anyone but Allah and do not fear anything but the consequences and repercussions of your sins!

Uthmaan R.A

Comment

A Muslim man is forbidden to look at any non-mahram woman save by accident, and when that happens, he should immediately turn his sight away. For the evidence, see:

http://islamqa.info/en/126925

There are more as well than what is above, available in Arabic. But in general, any looking at non-Mahram women deliberately is a form of zina, and their playing sports is of course not an excuse as it isn't a matter of necessity.

Allah knows best.
                  والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

I've seen then doing karate, usually ends up in a wrestling match

Comment

Like I said in my first post, I know it is in the minds of so called "muslim" users here who will immediateley judge and think the only way for a woman to play sports is if she wears haraam clothing.
                      My sister does not wear shorts. She wears track pants.

Comment

I do not trust Islam QA at all. Any fatwa site that says women who drive are prostitutes should be taken with a grain of salt.
                        If you look at Ibn Katheer's commentary, he says men not to look at a woman's AWRAH. It is permissble to look at the hands and face of women. He also said lowering the gaze is when you feel lust (sheikh faraz rabbani says this too).

Looking at women is not zina. Please do not make things up.

Comment

You are looking for the Islamic ruling. And Ali had provided it above. No one is judging you or your family. You explained that your sister chases a circle with men watching and this is what the responses address. It is a bitter pill to swallow because it seems that you wanted to hear something else.
                          Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali101 View Post
                            I do not trust Islam QA at all. Any fatwa site that says women who drive are prostitutes should be taken with a grain of salt.
                            If you look at Ibn Katheer's commentary, he says men not to look at a woman's AWRAH. It is permissble to look at the hands and face of women. He also said lowering the gaze is when you feel lust (sheikh faraz rabbani says this too).

Looking at women is not zina. Please do not make things up.
                            so if I asked you for a foto of your sister, you would send it to me?

Comment

It is zina according to hadith, and again, according to hadith as well as Qur'aan the Muslim is to lower his gaze. Even if you do not take from IslamQA, no Muslim scholar permitted males to freely look at non-mahram females outside of specific situations (i.e. accidentally, or seeking marriage, or if it's a medical situation in specific circumstances, etc).

The ahadith are many, and they include what was listed on IslamQA as well as others, like how one should not sit on the street so as not to stare at passing women and so on. These are ahadith, even if you don't like IslamQA, it doesn't change that they just listed it as it is.

Lastly, this isn't some controversial issue, it's well known that the man is not to look at women for the sake of pleasure/entertainment, etc and the problems that result from this sort of behavior are very commonly talked about in any Islamic speech related to the matter.
                              والمبادرة إلى التكفير إنما تغلب على طباع من يغلب عليهم الجهل - ابن تيمية رحمه الله - بغية المرتاد

"Rushing towards takfir is an attitude which is dominant over those who are defeated by ignorance." - Ibn Taymiyyah Rahimahullah [Bughyatul Murtaad, page 354]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X