My wearing hijab makes hubby unhappy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wearing hijab makes hubby unhappy

Help! What do I do? My husband - a good man and a practising Muslim - is not happy about me beginning to hear the hijab. Because of his hesitation, I waited a long time to start, thinking he just needed a bit of time but last week I decided that I simply had to start wearing hijab.
    He is mostly ignoring the whole thing; for example, he hasn't told his family.
    I am so disappointed by his lack of support. I feel like the bottom has fallen out of my world. Covering is difficult enough without this.
    Please Re-update your Signature

Well, I am not a Muslim, but some Muslims I have talked too say that the hijab is a culture thing and not and not Islam, others say it is not necessary as long as you dress modestly in the first place. Just passing the information I have heard along.

Comment

What a bunch of bologna!

Hijab is obligatory on muslim women. If a muslim womans husband expects her to disobey Allah, he is 100% in the wrong and she is to obey Allah over him.

Your husband sounds as if he is weak in his deen and for some odd reason embarassed by your covering? Find out why he feels the way he does and attack the problem at the roots. If he is bothered by it, then tell him he is bothered by one of the commands of Allah and that this is an issue for him to work out with his Creator.

You are obeying Allah, dont let anyone stop you from that. Your hijab is your badge of honour. May Allah make it easy for you and open your husbands eyes and put the love of the deen in his heart. Amin.

Comment

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...&threadid=7179

Comment

Where can I get a wife like this?

Comment

Originally posted by Abdul Qadeer
            Where can I get a wife like this?
            Man knows so much yet does so little...

Comment

Thanks for your support, Swan. Yes, I think he is oddly embarrassed; he doesn't want us to 'stand out' in any way. In fact, he feels that being conspicuous (by covering) is immodest. He also is, perhaps, afraid that I may encounter bad reactions from people.
              I am covering but at what price to my marriage? I find it very hard to accept these bad reactions in my own (Muslim) home.

Comment

obedience to creation should not be done when it conflicts with obedience to the Creator

so Allah's commands take precedence over all creation and what they say or think...

Comment

Re: My wearing hijab makes hubby unhappy

Originally posted by Bahia
                  Help! What do I do? My husband - a good man and a practising Muslim - is not happy about me beginning to hear the hijab. Because of his hesitation, I waited a long time to start, thinking he just needed a bit of time but last week I decided that I simply had to start wearing hijab.
                  He is mostly ignoring the whole thing; for example, he hasn't told his family.
                  I am so disappointed by his lack of support. I feel like the bottom has fallen out of my world. Covering is difficult enough without this.
                  :there: I can kinda understand how you feel because when I started wearing Hijab some of my family weren't really happy about it either, but now you've finally started doing it... you've done the hardest part :) and insha Allah give it a bit of time and your husband will become more used to it & be glad u decided to wear it. I think my mum had the same kinda worries, that people would stare or make nasty comments and that kinda thing, but the reality is that its usually not as bad as people expect, and maybe when your husband sees that it doesnt necessarily lead to everyone staring or giving you funny looks then he might see it as less of a problem.
                  As other people said, he's the one whos in the wrong here really, and he should be giving you support!! maybe you can talk to him about it? and explain to him why you need to feel suported by him and that he accepts your decision to wear it, and make sure he understands WHY u feel that u need to wear it aswell.
                  I hope you sort the situation out... insha Allah I'm sure it'll all be ok, just remember you're doing it for the sake of Allah. May He make it easy for you :)
                  .: Anna :.

Comment

Comment

Not trying to lead anyone astray.
                      Just repeating what I have heard other Muslims told me, take it or leave it does not matter to me what women (or men) choose to wear on their own.

People can cover themselves in tin foil, cloths pins, and drape themselves in a tarp of all I care, just as long as it is not forced upon by others or by the government. If you note, I pointed out that I was in fact not a Muslim and I was just repeating what others have said.

Comment

its hard to believe that some muslim men can act this way about their wives. i know a sister whose husband would get upset if she didnt wear make-up when she would go out. can you imagine that? how sad.

this is a result of fearing others more than Allah and to much love of the dunya. May Allah save us all from it. amin.

brother Abdul Qadeer, there are many sisters out there who are proud to wear hijab. it shouldnt be hard for you to find a wife like that at all. (Inshaa Allah)

Comment

Originally posted by dour
                          Not trying to lead anyone astray.
                          Just repeating what I have heard other Muslims told me, take it or leave it does not matter to me what women (or men) choose to wear on their own.

People can cover themselves in tin foil, cloths pins, and drape themselves in a tarp of all I care, just as long as it is not forced upon by others or by the government. If you note, I pointed out that I was in fact not a Muslim and I was just repeating what others have said.

dour, i understand what your saying and i dont think your trying to start any fitnah here. i too, have met muslims who say this. however, the Quran clearly states how a woman should dress, and muslims should follow the Quran.

Judaism also has rules on modest dress, as well as Christianity. if people of other religions dont believe in following their own religious rules, well, that is on them.

Comment

Originally posted by outlandish
                            what did i say wrong??

Comment

Subhanaa Allah Ukhti Bahia May Allah reward you IMMENSELY WITH GOOD AMEEN!!!!!

Inshaa Allah ukhti have sabr and remember that when you take one step towards Allah He will take two towards you!!! HMMM i wonder where that comes from now that I think about it, well anyhow when you go closer to Allah Allah loves you more so keeping working towards being closer to Him and you will be just fine inshaa Allah!!!...

As for your husband I would hate to see that this sort of thing could cause a hardship in marriages subhanaa Allah but it often can. All you can do at this point is continue to fulfill your obligations to your Lord, then to your husband. Maybe wear khimars that are pretty to your husband colors he likes on you. Gee I am not real sure I wear all black and I suppose I am not always the most appealing to the eye in that sense but ya know what... i dont dress in this manner when outside my home for my husbands pleasure Thats something we must remember, We dress in a manner that is not pleasing to the masses when outside in part though for his pleasure so remind your hubby of this. Show him the difference in how you were once appriocahed by men to now. I know it changed drastically for me when I began covering and the more I covered the more respect I was given by MOST. There was an incident the other day where a car pulled up next to me and the man driving just stared for so long til the light changed then he yelled to me You know you look very scary and strange. Well al hamdulillah my purpose was fulfilled because we must remember our goal is to be strangers on this earth and that helps me to not become disheartened when i hear things like this.

Anyhow sis it is an obligation and this is to your lord and I am sorry to say it in this way but yes even before our beloved husbands who we never want to displease. Just keep showing him the beauty in this, do not beat him over the head with daleel in a manner that makes him feel less then in knowledge or anything like this just talk to him, make him see how much it means to you. Keep hitting that rug and asking Allah to change the heart of your husband with regards to this, ask that he strengthen you both wake for tahajjud and wake him too, strive to show him the beauty in such acts of worship, and although yes there can be scary moments outdoors remind him that we should never fear anything but Allahs wrath on us for not fuliflling our obligations to Him...

I have no idea of I made sense as usual i think I have rambled on May Allah have mercy on you ukhti and set your affairs in order in a manner that is most pleasing to Allah swt Ameen

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X