About Seeking Knowledge (of Deen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Seeking Knowledge (of Deen)

“Abdullah ibn al-Mubarak was asked what he would do if after death he was given the chance to go back to life. He said: “I will go back to seek knowledge.”

Mu’aadh ibn Jabal (ra) said:

“O’ people, you must seek knowledge before it is taken away, for indeed when its people (the scholars) die, it wll be taken away. And beware of bid’ah, innovation and sophistication, and adhere to the ancient way [i.e., the way of the Prophet (saw)].” [Al-Bidaayah wan-Nahy 'anha by Ibn Waddaah]

Abdullah bin Ahmed bin Hanbal said: “My Father was only seen in Masjid, Funeral Prayers, and in his visit to a sick person. He did not like to wander in the market places.” [Manaaqib al-Imaam: P. 279, 280, Chain Saheeh]

Al-Hasan al-Basree said:

“Whoever learns something in the name of Allaah, seeking that which is with Him, he will win. And whoever learns something for other than Allaah, he will not reach the goal, nor will his acquired knowledge bring him closer to Allaah.” [Related by Ibn ul Jawzee]

“The day and night work through you, so you should work on them.” [‘Umar ibn Abdel Aziz, may Allah have mercy on him]

”…the satisfaction of people is a goal that cannot be attained, so abide strictly by that which rectifies you, for indeed there is no way to [gain] their satisfaction; and know that the one who learns the Qur’an becomes great in the sight of the people; and the one who learns Hadith, his argument is strengthened; and the one who learns Nahw (Arabic grammar) is revered; and the one who learns Arabic, his nature softens; and the one who learns Hisaab (arithmetic), his opinion becomes exalted/great; and the one who learns Fiqh (Islamic jurisprudence), his standing is elevated; [...] and the foundation of all of that is Taqwa (fearing Allah and being conscious of Him).” - – al-Imam ash-Shafi’i, may Allah have mercy upon him

Imām ash-Shāfiʿī [رحمه الله]:

“I grew up in Shām [present day Syria or so] and my mother would prepare me to seek knowledge in Makkah from the age of ten. She didn’t own anything, so I had to use bones of animals as pen and paper.”
    Last edited by Mockingjay; 17-01-14, 08:53 AM.
    ~ Don’t trade a house in Jannah :insha:, for a lowly house in this transient world ~

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it (61 : 8)

Re: About Seeking Knowledge (of Deen)

:jkk:
    If knowledge was a justification for taqwa then shaytan would be the most muttaqi - maulana Zahir Mahmood
    'More beloved to me than 23 years of lecturing' Sheikh Ahmed Ali
    Islamic etiquette for social media
    http://youtu.be/VVa7av9eKkY

Comment

Re: About Seeking Knowledge (of Deen)

It is reported that Imam Al Hasan Al Basri, Allah have mercy on him said:

"To learn a single topic of knowledge and teach it to a Muslim is more beloved to me than having the whole world and giving it in the cause of Allah" - [Al Khatib Al BaghdAdi Al Faqih wa Al Mutafaqqih article 53]

"One who acts without knowledge is like one who travels off the path; and the one who acts without knowledge corrupts more than he rectifies. So seek knowledge in a way that does not harm your worship, and seek to worship [Allah] in a way that does not harm [your seeking of] knowledge. For verily, there were people (the Khawarij extremists) who sought to worship [Allah] but abandoned knowledge until they attacked the Ummah of Muhammad – Allah’s praise and peace be upon him – with their swords. But if they had sought knowledge, it would not have directed them to do what they did.”

[Quoted by Ibn ‘Abd Al - Barr, Jâmi’ Bayan Al - ’Ilm wa Fadlihi article 905.]
      ~ Don’t trade a house in Jannah :insha:, for a lowly house in this transient world ~

They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah will perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it (61 : 8)

Comment

Working...
      X