Tips for COLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for COLD

I am wearing 5 layers of tops, 5 layers of leggings and trousers, and 3 layers of socks, and I am still cold.

My house is massive, and if I turn on the heater, it will try to heat the whole house as the heaters are old and the knobs on the heaters don't work. So if I turn the heater on it will use up all the gas I have very quickly and NOT heat up the house very much. I have one of those small portable heaters that make a lot of noise and a lot of 'hot air' not actually heating up the person but the air. The moment you turn it off, you'll be cold again.

My house is fully insulated and since the summer I have never turned my heater on. I only turn it on once my mum comes to visit me. It's only 9 degrees, and i worry about when it really will get cold.

Any tips? jazakallaah
    Last edited by bismillaah; 06-01-14, 03:45 AM.

Re: Tips for COLD

use a hot water bottle. Keep your head and feet warm the most.

Wear a hat.

I heard you lose most heat from your head
    Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob Thabbit Qalbi Alaa Deenik
    ( O changer of hearts, keep my heart steadfast on your deen)

www.treasureofthescholars.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by bismillaah View Post
      I am wearing 5 layers of tops, 5 layers of leggings and trousers, and 3 layers of socks, and I am still cold.

My house is massive, and if I turn on the heater, it will try to heat the whole house as the heaters are old and the knobs on the heaters don't work. So if I turn the heater on it will use up all the gas I have very quickly and NOT heat up the house very much. I have one of those small portable heaters that make a lot of noise and a lot of 'hot air' not actually heating up the person but the air. The moment you turn it off, you'll be cold again.

My house is fully insulated and since the summer I have never turned my heater on. I only turn it on once my mum comes to visit me. It's only 9 degrees, and i worry about when it really will get cold.

Any tips? jazakallaah
      Assalamualaykum brother, we have central heating on but believe me I still have many layers on! Try a hot water bottle. InshAllah that will make a huge difference. If I can think of anything else I will let u know InshAllah
      "Do not get attached to what will not stay with you, get closer to The One Who never leaves you"
      (Ibn Al-Qayyim)

Comment

Originally posted by firestar101 View Post
        use a hot water bottle. Keep your head and feet warm the most.

Wear a hat.

I heard you lose most heat from your head
        :rotfl: .

actually that is a good idea

Originally posted by Islam3333 View Post
        :salams:

Drink tea and try to keep yourself as warm as possible.

You must live in a very cold area if you are still cold after wearing all that lol. :)
        I really dreaded the tea advice lol, but I can try hot water instead. Two in one. haha hydration and heat. I live in England lol, and it's only 9 degrees, some nights it gets to do 2 and I don't leave my bed lol.

Originally posted by Believing Woman View Post
        Assalamualaykum brother, we have central heating on but believe me I still have many layers on! Try a hot water bottle. InshAllah that will make a huge difference. If I can think of anything else I will let u know InshAllah
        Hot water bottle is good. My feet are good to be honest and the hot water bottle is practical in most situations. Come back if you have more tips lol

Comment

Tips for COLD

salam alaikum
          I agree with layers
          at -37C nights and days here I understand cold!
          Make sure the layer the closest to body doesn't trap wetness against your skin.
          wool and fleece are great next layer.
          wool socks are best.
          and a good bowl of hot soup and hot chocolate :)
          don't forget the cozy blanket!
          Last edited by MichelleAmeena; 06-01-14, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I came from a cold climate. I would wear the same amount of layers, multiple socks and a few blankets, I was essentially a blanket monster.

My tips:

-Keep moving. Sitting there your going to shiver, exercise a bit do something active to not only take your mind off of the cold but to keep your heart busy re-heating you.

-Cover your head, multiple layers. Hats/hijabs makes a huge difference and it's immediate.

-Hot baths, once you feel just pretty miserable because it's freezing go take a book and soak in a bath for awhile that way you kind of heat up the bathroom as well and make sure to have tons of layers prepared for when you get out.

-Hot foods. Good time for spicy things since they do slightly elevate your temperature. Hot chocolate with a bit of cayenne pepper (mexican hot chocolate) is an instant refuel.

-Do something fun. I like to make tents in my house (yes I'm an adult) out of blankets and make a fort when it's cold. Keeping your spirits up and happy is the key to getting through winter.

-Extra prayers, why not? Gets your blood flowing a bit and even make du'aa for warmth, I make du'aa for everything even a chocolate bar if I'm in the mood. Allah ta'ala wants you to ask for things no matter how big or small, so why not?

-Tights, or what the non-muslims wear for pants. I wear the leggings under jeans or a skirt not only for beauty (keeps your legs looking well old historical habit since it reduces spider veins/problems/circulation issues) and trust me you will have one less body part freezing.

-If you are a girl (sorry didn't check myself) make a beauty mask, if you have some honey and lemon mix equal parts *dont need too much* warm your face with hot water, add the mixture and let it sit. It'll keep you warm and beautiful (lightens the skin, hides imperfection, super soft awesomeness).

The consequences of letting yourself stay cold is that it can get you sick, and it can stress you out which can get you sick. Hope this helps! - A ruskie Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleAmeena View Post
              salam alaikum
              I agree with layers
              at -37C nights and days here I understand cold!
              Make sure the layer the closest to body doesn't trap wetness against your skin.
              wool and fleece are great next layer.
              wool socks are best.
              and a good bowl of hot soup and hot chocolate :)
              don't forget the cozy blanket!
              Originally posted by Anthanasia View Post
              I came from a cold climate. I would wear the same amount of layers, multiple socks and a few blankets, I was essentially a blanket monster.

My tips:

-Keep moving. Sitting there your going to shiver, exercise a bit do something active to not only take your mind off of the cold but to keep your heart busy re-heating you.

-Cover your head, multiple layers. Hats/hijabs makes a huge difference and it's immediate.

-Hot baths, once you feel just pretty miserable because it's freezing go take a book and soak in a bath for awhile that way you kind of heat up the bathroom as well and make sure to have tons of layers prepared for when you get out.

-Hot foods. Good time for spicy things since they do slightly elevate your temperature. Hot chocolate with a bit of cayenne pepper (mexican hot chocolate) is an instant refuel.

-Do something fun. I like to make tents in my house (yes I'm an adult) out of blankets and make a fort when it's cold. Keeping your spirits up and happy is the key to getting through winter.

-Extra prayers, why not? Gets your blood flowing a bit and even make du'aa for warmth, I make du'aa for everything even a chocolate bar if I'm in the mood. Allah ta'ala wants you to ask for things no matter how big or small, so why not?

-Tights, or what the non-muslims wear for pants. I wear the leggings under jeans or a skirt not only for beauty (keeps your legs looking well old historical habit since it reduces spider veins/problems/circulation issues) and trust me you will have one less body part freezing.

-If you are a girl (sorry didn't check myself) make a beauty mask, if you have some honey and lemon mix equal parts *dont need too much* warm your face with hot water, add the mixture and let it sit. It'll keep you warm and beautiful (lightens the skin, hides imperfection, super soft awesomeness).

The consequences of letting yourself stay cold is that it can get you sick, and it can stress you out which can get you sick. Hope this helps! - A ruskie Muslim
              excellent advice, thank you. the bolded made me laugh

Comment

I hope you stay warm now. There are a lot of great tips.:D

Comment

Wear one of these http://www.foreverlazy.com/ and maybe buy a portable heater.
                  Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
                  Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Wearing wool clothing
                    How dare they challenge me with their primitive skills? They're just as good as dead

Comment

invest in a GOOD sleeping bag that is made for outdoor sleeping in the winter
                      Wear a hat, triple socks, thermal and warm clothing to sleep in
                      heat up a potato and use it as a heat source

Comment

hot tea
                        hot soup
                        scarf nice thick one
                        hat
                        and fever reducing medication.
                        humidifier if you have one

Comment

As Salaam Ulaikum Wr Wb

Apart from all the above you can also try having a warm glass of milk with some honey in it OR eat three to four dates after every 4 hours. They help the blood circulate faster and keep your body warm.

May Allah make it easy for you and protect you from the cold weather. Ameen

Comment

Wassalam wr wb

Good advice.

Ameen! ^ ^

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

I think everybody has given good advice...

Idk if this is mentioned before, but walk around having a duvet hugged around... even if you fall, you will just be rolling around :rotfl: it is so fun... i am so immature sometimes, sorry... but it is fun, you feel like a little oompa lumpa.

But yh try the duvet, sit with a duvet, eat breakfast with a duvet, walk with a duvet, do everything with a duvet... because your duvet will eventually become warm by your body heat... so it is like walking around with a hot water bottle wrapped around you.
                              Bye...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X