Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

positive thinking... potentially counter productive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• -Tawheed-
    replied
    Re: positive thinking... potentially counter productive?

Depends on the type of depression really. For example individuals with depressive realism may portray the events around the world more accurately but it can lead towards high amounts of stress and eventually insanity. The feeling that the vicious world is against you and have no support. Positive thinking is needed but it gets harder if the depression isn't treated properly at an early stage.

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied

Yaay I just found it:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/07/06/t...tive-thinking/

Originally posted by sunrise786 View Post
    I would really appreciate it if you could try and dig up the article, or if you remember the name and pass that onto me? So I may be able to research it :insha:

Leave a comment:

• bismillaah
    replied

Originally posted by random5456 View Post
    So a lot of these thoughts center on a quote

"You don't have to search for love so much as destroy the walls we've built around it"

I think most of our issues can be solved by uprooting our anger or deeply held beliefs that are sort of in opposition of the flow of life. I noticed in my own life and I've resolved some kind of inner trauma its like a freeing of emotional energy and the state I'm in is a sort of rejuvenated more natural in a way state.

This got me thinking about the efficacy of positive thinking. A lot of times positive thoughts are used to balance or counteract or sometimes smother or replace negative thinking. I see a lot of nlp philosophy (neurolinguistic programming) as sort of shaping the script of your mind, inputting positive rather then negative habits. In my experience you're "natural" state and by that I mean your state having resolved major trauma is naturally loving and kind, a source of positive energy, and negative thoughts are actually your conscience nagging you in some respect to be attended to in some way, some kind of psychic wound that needs deep attention in order to be understood and healed.

So I wonder if your negative thoughts can be thought of as useful in a similar way as as pains in your body for example are useful, a natural system in which to draw attention to something that needs to be cared for, is it wise to cover those thoughts up?

I mean would you keep walking on a sprained ankle and just pop a bunch of vicodin or look at the ankle and try to attend to it. I realize my metaphor might be being run for more then its worth, but I hope I get the general idea across.
    'Ow Muhammad, we know that you are upset in your heart from what they say'

'Remember Allaah and glorify Him and prostrate to Allaah and pray to Him and continue worshiping you Lord until you meet your last moment in life' 15:99

Say subhanallah, subhanallah wa bi hamdi, alhamdulilah allaa kulli haal. Pray to Allaah.

Subhanallaah: declaring Him to be above any fault, shortcoming, corrupt notions, false idea.

Tasbeeh of Allaah means declaring that one's heart and mind are far removed from thinking that there is any shortcoming in Him, or attributin any evil to Him and declaring Him to be far above any fault that is attributed to Him by the mushrikeen.

'Unquestionably, the close servants of Allaah, there is no fear on them and there is no sadness for them'

Why because: 'Those who believed wa kaanuuu yattaquun = obeyed Allaah and acted on their belief'.

'And whoever turns away from my remembrance - indeed, he will have a depressed life, and we will gather him on the day of judgement blind' Taahaa: 124

Hadeethh by Anas r.a The prophet s.a.w said: whoever is concerned about the aakhira Allaah will make your heart content and Allaah will gather all your affairs .....some words missing....And whoever is concerned with the dunyaa, Allaah makes poverty in between their eyes, and Allaah divides His matters, and Allaah is going to give him from the dunya only what's written for him.

Every morning and every evening say:

Ow Allaah i seek protection in You from stress and saddness and laziness and being unhealthy and I seek protection in You from being cowardish and selfish and I seek refuge in you from debt and people overpowering me.

'Unquestionably, by the remembrance of Allaah hearts are assured' 13:28
    Last edited by bismillaah; 06-01-14, 04:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• sunrise867
    replied

Originally posted by neelu View Post
    Finally someone is beginning to wake up to these stupid 'positivity' myths. Positive thinking doesn't improve the immune system- that's another myth flying around (possibly deep depression could lead to a weakened immune system but there is no evidence at all to support the fairytale that positivity would strengthen it).

The whole positivity myth is part of a wider problem which is the introduction of airy fairy new age spirituality nonsense. This was brought in to fill the void in a secular society now that people are being convinced to veer away from religion in general, so when they feel spiritually empty and need something to cling to but can't turn to religion, they turn to this Ekhart Tolle nonsense, some of which has borrowed concepts of shirk from Buddhism and yet you still see naive Muslim facebook pages quoting such rubbish.

Of course there is Islamic evidence that encourages us to think good of Allah (swt), to never lose hope in Him and we know that hopelessness can lead to depression and other stuff like that, but people have blown this concept out of all proportion to fit in with that whole positive thinking nonsense when the two things are not connected and they ignore the potential benefits in so called 'negative' traits (like the example you gave of how pain is a sign that indicates to your body that there is a problem you need to resolve).

There was also an article that came out a couple of years ago that said some shrinks have found that positive thinking methods have actually worsened people's depression and doesn't work for a lot of people- I can't find the article though I saw it ages ago on another forum.
    I would really appreciate it if you could try and dig up the article, or if you remember the name and pass that onto me? So I may be able to research it :insha:

Leave a comment:

• neelu
    replied

Finally someone is beginning to wake up to these stupid 'positivity' myths. Positive thinking doesn't improve the immune system- that's another myth flying around (possibly deep depression could lead to a weakened immune system but there is no evidence at all to support the fairytale that positivity would strengthen it).

The whole positivity myth is part of a wider problem which is the introduction of airy fairy new age spirituality nonsense. This was brought in to fill the void in a secular society now that people are being convinced to veer away from religion in general, so when they feel spiritually empty and need something to cling to but can't turn to religion, they turn to this Ekhart Tolle nonsense, some of which has borrowed concepts of shirk from Buddhism and yet you still see naive Muslim facebook pages quoting such rubbish.

Of course there is Islamic evidence that encourages us to think good of Allah (swt), to never lose hope in Him and we know that hopelessness can lead to depression and other stuff like that, but people have blown this concept out of all proportion to fit in with that whole positive thinking nonsense when the two things are not connected and they ignore the potential benefits in so called 'negative' traits (like the example you gave of how pain is a sign that indicates to your body that there is a problem you need to resolve).

There was also an article that came out a couple of years ago that said some shrinks have found that positive thinking methods have actually worsened people's depression and doesn't work for a lot of people- I can't find the article though I saw it ages ago on another forum.

Leave a comment:

• positive thinking... potentially counter productive?

So a lot of these thoughts center on a quote

"You don't have to search for love so much as destroy the walls we've built around it"

I think most of our issues can be solved by uprooting our anger or deeply held beliefs that are sort of in opposition of the flow of life. I noticed in my own life and I've resolved some kind of inner trauma its like a freeing of emotional energy and the state I'm in is a sort of rejuvenated more natural in a way state.

This got me thinking about the efficacy of positive thinking. A lot of times positive thoughts are used to balance or counteract or sometimes smother or replace negative thinking. I see a lot of nlp philosophy (neurolinguistic programming) as sort of shaping the script of your mind, inputting positive rather then negative habits. In my experience you're "natural" state and by that I mean your state having resolved major trauma is naturally loving and kind, a source of positive energy, and negative thoughts are actually your conscience nagging you in some respect to be attended to in some way, some kind of psychic wound that needs deep attention in order to be understood and healed.

So I wonder if your negative thoughts can be thought of as useful in a similar way as as pains in your body for example are useful, a natural system in which to draw attention to something that needs to be cared for, is it wise to cover those thoughts up?

I mean would you keep walking on a sprained ankle and just pop a bunch of vicodin or look at the ankle and try to attend to it. I realize my metaphor might be being run for more then its worth, but I hope I get the general idea across.

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X