X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entering and Leaving the Home

Doors

According to Quran and Sunnah

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 3:30, Narrated Abu Ishaq similarly narrated by Al-Bara in Bukhari 6:39

I heard Al-Bara' saying, "The above Verse was revealed regarding us, for the Ansar on returning from Hajj never entered their houses through the proper doors but from behind. One of the Ansar came and entered through the door and he was taunted for it. Therefore, the following was revealed: --

[The Noble Qur'an: Al-Baqarah 2:189]

...It is not Al-Birr (piety, righteousness, etc.) that you enter the houses from the back but Al-Birr (is the quality of the one) who fears Allah. So enter houses through their proper doors, and fear Allah that you may be successful.

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 3:318, Narrated 'Aisha , (mother of the faithful believers)

I bought a cushion with pictures on it. When Allah's Apostle saw it, he kept standing at the door and did not enter the house. I noticed the sign of disgust on his face, so I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah and His Apostle . (Please let me know) what sin I have done." Allah's Apostle said, "What about this cushion?" I replied, "I bought it for you to sit and recline on." Allah's Apostle said, "The painters (i.e. owners) of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection. It will be said to them, 'Put life in what you have created (i.e. painted).' " The Prophet added, "The angels do not enter a house where there are pictures."

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 3:783, Narrated Ibn Umar

Once the Prophet went to the house of Fatima but did not enter it. 'Ali came and she told him about that. When 'Ali asked the Prophet about it, he said, "I saw a (multicolored) decorated curtain on her door. I am not interested in worldly things." 'Ali went to Fatima and told her about it. Fatima said, "I am ready to dispense with it in the way he suggests." The Prophet ordered her to send it to such-and-such needy people.

Do not enter until you have permission and greet

The Noble Qur'an - 24:27

O you who believe! Enter not houses other than your own, until you have asked permission and greeted those in them, that is better for you, in order that you may remember.

And if you find no one therein, still, enter not until permission has been given. And if you are asked to go back, go back, for it is purer for you, and Allah is All-Knower of what you do.

Hadith - Bukhari (#1070)

'Ata' asked Abu Hurayrah about a person who asks permission to enter before offering greetings. He said, "Permission will not be given to him until he offers greetings."

Hadith - Bukhari (#1077)

Abd Allah said, "If a man is invited, he has been given permission (to enter)." (Also narrated by Ibn Abi Shaybah)

Direction to Face while Waiting at the Door

Hadith - Bukhari (#1081)

'Abd Allah ibn Busr reported that when the Prophet of Allah went up to a door with the intention of seeking permission to enter, he did not face the door, but looked left and right. If permission was granted [he would enter]. If not, he would go on his way.

When Closing the Door

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 4:523, Narrated Jabir bin Abdullah

Allah's Apostle said, "When night falls (or it is evening), keep your children close to you for the devils spread out at that time. But when an hour of the night elapses, you can let them free. Close the doors and mention the Name of Allah, for Satan does not open a closed door."

Disliked reply at door

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 8:267, Narrated Jabir

I came to the Prophet in order to consult him regarding my father's debt. When I knocked on the door, he asked, "Who is that?" I replied, "I." He said, "I, I?" He repeated it as if he disliked it.

Peeping

Hadith - Sahih Bukhari 9:38.2, Narrated Sahl bin Sa'd As-Sa'idi

A man peeped through a hole in the door of Allah's Apostle's house , and at that time, Allah's Apostle had a Midri (an iron comb or bar) with which he was rubbing his head. So when Allah's Apostle saw him, he said (to him), "If I had been sure that you were looking at me (through the door), I would have poked your eye with this (sharp iron bar)." Allah's Apostle added, "The asking for permission to enter has been enjoined so that one may not look unlawfully (at what there is in the house without the permission of its people)."

Hadith - Mishkat, Narrated AbuDharr , Tirmidhi transmitted it, saying this is a gharib tradition

Allah's Messenger said, "If anyone removes a curtain and looks into a house before receiving permission and sees anything in these which should not be seen, he has committed an offence which it is not lawful for him to commit. If a man confronted him when he looked in and put out his eye, I should not blame him. But if a man passes a door which has no curtain and is not shut and looks in, he has committed no sin, for the sin pertains only to the people inside."

Door Direction

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated 'Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin

The Apostle of Allah came and saw that the doors of the houses of his Companions were facing the mosque. He said: Turn the direction of the houses from the mosque. The Prophet then entered (the houses or the mosque), and the people did take any step in this regard hoping that some concession might be revealed. He the Prophet again came upon them and said: Turn the direction of these (doors) from the mosque I do not make the mosque lawful for a menstruating woman and for a person who is sexually defiled.

Hadith - Abu Dawud, Narrated 'Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin

The Apostle of Allah was praying with his door bolted. I came and asked to have the door opened. He walked and opened the door for me. He then returned to his place for prayer. He (the narrator Urwah) mentioned that the door faced the qiblah.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Action Items for the uttaqun:

Avoid entering a house from the back doors; use the proper doors
    Hesitate to enter a house with images in it
    When knocking on a door, and the person asks, "Who's there?" or something similar, do not reply with just "Me" or "I" or "It's me."
    When closing the door, mention the name of Allah, subhana watala.
    In the evening, keep your children indoors and close all the doors.
    Do not hide and attempt to look into a muslim's home without permission.
    Don't uncover a curtain or other item on door, etc., in order to peep into a house.
    If building a house near a Masjid, don't design the front door to face the direction of the Masjid.
    Remember... Allah, subhana watala, sees everything we do!
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

i dont know about the direction of the kaaba thing

it seems to me as if the peoples door opened into the masjid, not the direction

anyone know better?

and Allah knows best
    .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
    نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
    دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
    X