Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• moving to leicester.. opinions regarding areas and schools pls

Assalamu alaikum
    We are living in London at present but planning to shift to Leicester and the reason is because of huge muslim population over there. We are looking to move to Belgrave or Longleat Close..
    because Evington is quite expensive..:(:(:(
    So i kindly request anyone to share their ideas regarding these to areas ..
    how is it to live in..
    how is the crime rate
    how is the muslim community over there.
    What are the best schools for our kids.
    Is it better to send the children to state school and then to madrassas in the evening or is it better to enrol them in islamic school straight away
    Are islamic nurseries good enough in par with other privately run nurseries

Sorry a lot of questions but need help..

jazakallah khair

Originally posted by slaveofarrahman View Post
    Assalamu alaikum
    We are living in London at present but planning to shift to Leicester and the reason is because of huge muslim population over there. We are looking to move to Belgrave or Longleat Close..
    because Evington is quite expensive..:(:(:(
    So i kindly request anyone to share their ideas regarding these to areas ..
    how is it to live in..
    how is the crime rate
    how is the muslim community over there.
    What are the best schools for our kids.
    Is it better to send the children to state school and then to madrassas in the evening or is it better to enrol them in islamic school straight away
    Are islamic nurseries good enough in par with other privately run nurseries

Sorry a lot of questions but need help..

jazakallah khair
    :wswrwb:

Belgrave is okay- near the city centre, lots of ethnic shops. It helps however if you have a car though as it is a fair distance from the Muslim areas like Highfields, Evington and Oadby (albeit a 1/4 of it). I don't think there are any masjids in that area- double check though as masjids are springing up all over the place. If you do plan on moving nearer to the Abbey Park side, there are masjids in St Matthews you can use :insha:

Crime rates... Because of the gold shops, people have been targeted. Like gold chains have been snatched from women's necks etc. So that may be of concern :/ overall across Leicester, crime rates are very low alhamdulillah

Muslim community is okay- some greet you like they've known you all your life, others are wary and do ignore your salaams (I'm not going to lie). But you get that wherever you go. Once they recognise your face :insha: people do become friendlier. Some can be really nosey though and immediately ask about private matters (this is more women) and you're like 'erm no comment?'

With schools/nurseries you can check the Ofsted website and browse through their reports on schools- there are far too many to list.

Good Islamic schools include- Madani High School and the Daruloom (if you can get your kids there- very competitive).

Overall what most people do is state schools during the day then madrassah simply because there are not enough places. I can link you some good appas in the area who are fantastic alhamdulillah- they're based in Evington and Oadby.

Are there any other areas to live that you had in mind?

Hope that helps :insha:
    ⚔ Even in death may you be triumphant ⚔
    U.F Sadaqah Jariyah Project

Comment

Re: moving to leicester.. opinions regarding areas and schools pls

To add more information

Two houses we have seen where one is in Overing Close and one in longleet Close(LE5 0NQ), We are more leaned towards the Longleet Close one as the house is good and withing the budget. Can some one who knows about the areas comment on that. It would be very helpful.

We have a girl child who is turning 3 early next year. So, Reg the school, I think Darul Uloom is only for boys and hence We are planning to put her in Madani or Jameah High School in Secondary Level and in primary, we are thinking about Leicester High School(Independent) in the morning and Hifz or Arabic Madrasah in evening or some Islamic primary School like Al aqsa.

Can you say about the your views about the above mentioned two places Longleet close and Overing Close. We know that the Masjidh Buhari is near the Overing Close. About the location and the places in vicinity, we got the info from net. The information which would be very helpful is about the safety on the areas and the reviews on school, We are not able to find this in any of the sites or from our friends who are staying there.

Jazakallah Khair.

Comment

jasakallah....to go in further more detail..We have a girl child who is turning 3 this Jan.So, I think Darul Uloom is only for boys
        and hence We are planning to put her in Madani or Jameah High School in Secondary Level
        and in primary, we are thinking about Leicester High School(Independent) in the morning and Hifz or Arabic Madrasah in evening.
        So opinions regarding this pls...
        The two houses which we have looked the one is in Overingclose and the other is in longleat close
        We are more leaned towards the longleat close .but one problem with the house is its just attached to the park.. not sure how far its safe..
        so needed few opinions regarding overing close area also..
        jazakallah Khair..
        ( had posted the reply the next day itself but not sure it dint get post )

Comment

moving to leicester.. opinions regarding areas and schools pls

why is my post not displayed

Comment

Wa aleykum as salaam,

I don't know Leicester myself, but I have heard that the Jameah Girls Academy is very good, especially for Islamic studies at the madrassah.
            Allah is so Great and Merciful that although we continue to disobey Him, He still awaits for our repentance so that He may forgive us.

Comment

Originally posted by slaveofarrahman View Post
              We have a girl child who is turning 3 early next year. So, Reg the school, I think Darul Uloom is only for boys and hence We are planning to put her in Madani or Jameah High School in Secondary Level and in primary, we are thinking about Leicester High School(Independent) in the morning and Hifz or Arabic Madrasah in evening or some Islamic primary School like Al aqsa.
              Jamea girls academy is fantastic alhamdulillah- a very good option.
              As well as this, my mum's visited Leicester High School and she left with a very positive impression alhamdulillah of the teachers and pupils. They take the schooling of the girls very, very seriously.

In regards to where your potential home may be, I'm not familiar with that area. In shaa Allah maybe someone else here will be able to help you
              ⚔ Even in death may you be triumphant ⚔
              U.F Sadaqah Jariyah Project

Comment

Leicester has a large Muslim community?
                DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME.

Comment

Assalamu alaikum

Comment

Assalamu alaikum

I am in a very similar situations as yourself. We have just moved from London to Leicester 4 months ago, for reasons which include Islamic education for our child and a better Islamic environment for us. We had a different approach and decided to rent out our own property in London and rent in Leicester in Evington area first. We wanted to rent before we bought so that we could gather more information about all the area and get a feel for the community.
                    We wanted to know about all the schools, madrassa and high schools, also to get locals opinions. We have found this way has been beneficial as you can be the only true judge as to what you think will be perfect for your family.
                    Since moving to Leicester we have had made life changing adjustments to our life style already and we have only been here for 4 months. Our child goes to tiny tots Islamic nursery, which will then go onto LIS. The school also has a madrassa facility in the school. So he will start his school at 8.30 and finish at 4.45, which is good if you are a working parent and there will be less dropping off and picking up.
                    The people of the area are mostly going to be like minded people in the sense that they will have same ideas about Islamic education for children and life style.
                    I suppose Leicester is what you make of it, there are many activities and speeches from famous scholars from all over the world that take place for men and women in the masjids. Whis are good attend for knowledge and also getting to know new people.

hope i could shed some light on this topic

Comment

Originally posted by naaza3 View Post
                      Assalamu alaikum

I am in a very similar situations as yourself. We have just moved from London to Leicester 4 months ago, for reasons which include Islamic education for our child and a better Islamic environment for us. We had a different approach and decided to rent out our own property in London and rent in Leicester in Evington area first. We wanted to rent before we bought so that we could gather more information about all the area and get a feel for the community.
                      We wanted to know about all the schools, madrassa and high schools, also to get locals opinions. We have found this way has been beneficial as you can be the only true judge as to what you think will be perfect for your family.
                      Since moving to Leicester we have had made life changing adjustments to our life style already and we have only been here for 4 months. Our child goes to tiny tots Islamic nursery, which will then go onto LIS. The school also has a madrassa facility in the school. So he will start his school at 8.30 and finish at 4.45, which is good if you are a working parent and there will be less dropping off and picking up.
                      The people of the area are mostly going to be like minded people in the sense that they will have same ideas about Islamic education for children and life style.
                      I suppose Leicester is what you make of it, there are many activities and speeches from famous scholars from all over the world that take place for men and women in the masjids. Whis are good attend for knowledge and also getting to know new people.

hope i could shed some light on this topic
                      Jazakallah
                      Did you like the nursery.. Are you satisfied with the madrassa facilities over there?

How did You find leicester to live in moving from London?

Comment

Originally posted by Meriadoc View Post

:wswrwb:

Belgrave is okay- near the city centre, lots of ethnic shops. It helps however if you have a car though as it is a fair distance from the Muslim areas like Highfields, Evington and Oadby (albeit a 1/4 of it). I don't think there are any masjids in that area- double check though as masjids are springing up all over the place. If you do plan on moving nearer to the Abbey Park side, there are masjids in St Matthews you can use :insha:

Crime rates... Because of the gold shops, people have been targeted. Like gold chains have been snatched from women's necks etc. So that may be of concern :/ overall across Leicester, crime rates are very low alhamdulillah

Muslim community is okay- some greet you like they've known you all your life, others are wary and do ignore your salaams (I'm not going to lie). But you get that wherever you go. Once they recognise your face :insha: people do become friendlier. Some can be really nosey though and immediately ask about private matters (this is more women) and you're like 'erm no comment?'

With schools/nurseries you can check the Ofsted website and browse through their reports on schools- there are far too many to list.

Good Islamic schools include- Madani High School and the Daruloom (if you can get your kids there- very competitive).

Overall what most people do is state schools during the day then madrassah simply because there are not enough places. I can link you some good appas in the area who are fantastic alhamdulillah- they're based in Evington and Oadby.

Are there any other areas to live that you had in mind?

Hope that helps :insha:
                        Salaam. Please could you let me know the numbers for the sisters in leiecester. I have a 16 year old girl who is starting Alevels and I want her to learn about islam but I don’t know how to go about it. Please could you help

Comment

leicester is vey good alhumdulillah for muslims

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X