Work life balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Work life balance

-If you can minimize work do it. Period. If you can make the same money but do less work do that. Sometimes even making less money but doing less work is just plain better. Some people kill themselves for a little bit of extra money but die in the process struggling.

-Plan your days off, leave work at work. Avoid cell phones and after hour crap like the plague.

-When it's the weekend/time off make sure your spouse is off too, plan that time.

-During the week take up a hobby and get your wife involved like working out. Working out is a great stress relief and natural anti-depressant, not to mention healthy for the mind and body. You can have other hobbies too that are not a daily monday to friday thing but a weekend thing, I like wrenching building and racing cars. Could be even something like wood working lol.. just something to keep you stimulated in a positive manner without thinking of work.

-Time is precious and you can never get it back.

Money is meant to be spent, and when it reaches your hands it's already destined for someone else's. It will never remain with you and will pass on to someone else. Money is not happiness. So neither is working, it's just a means of survival. However, if you can make your job enjoyable try.

Additional edit:

If you can find a job closer to home do it, been driving 60km every day one way for the past 5 years. I am being laid off in january and will look for something closer to home. Bought a car two years ago at 123k, now at 210k, first engine blew, replacement engine blew just last saturday.

Commuting in rush hour traffic, plus the distance, plus the gas, plus the maintenance, plus the time spent in driving can contribute to extra expenses, less time, etc... If you have the means to avoid this, avoid it like the plague and find a job close to home. People who walk for work are truly blessed.
    Last edited by Ahmed2013; 13-12-13, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Find a job that is closer to your house so that you save time on commuting.
      If your current salary is enough to support you then stick to it. If your bosses entice you with a bigger salary it means bigger responsibility and longer working hours.
      Look for flexible working arrangements where they allow you to work from home for 2-3 days in a week. Just being at home even when you are working will feel like you have a better work life balance
      Ideal is to do your own business cos you get to control your working hours. I started my own biz 4 years ago and me and my partner will declare mondays and fridays as working from home days (so we will have a looooong weekend lol) and even during weekdays if there is nothing much in the office we will sneak out to catch a movie, go for rock climbing classes, go for a 1-2 hours road trip..anything we can think of :)

Comment

:jkk: for the advice
        And strive because the sweetness of life lies in the struggle - Imam al-Shafi'i

Comment

:wswrwb:

Originally posted by Strive View Post
          :jkk:

It's got to the stage where my friends and family think i'm ignoring them :(. It's just that i'm so busy with work and Islamic classes i just don't have the time to see people anymore :/
          Neglecting friends and family yet get time to forum eh? :p j/king

As far as friends are concerned, let them know you got busy life, so they dont feel you are ignoring them when you couldnt reply to their txt in 24 hours or have to postpone the meetup.

May be take days off from work?

May Allaah ta'ala put barakah in your time :)

sigpic

Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta Khalaqtani wa ana'abduka, wa ana 'ala 'ahdika wa Wa'dika mastata'tu A'uidhubika min sharri ma sana'tu.' abu'u Laka bi ni 'matika wa'ala abu'u bidhanbi; faghfirli fa'innahu la yaghfiru-dh-dhunuba illa anta.
          O Allah, You are my Lord, none has the right to be worshipped except You, You created me and I am Your servant and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best I can, I take refuge in You from the evil of which I have committed. I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledgemy sin, so forgive me, for verilynone can forgive sin except You.

We are accountable for every letter we post here, so think before posting and maintain modesty.

Comment

Originally posted by Ansaariyah View Post
            :wswrwb:

Neglecting friends and family yet get time to forum eh? :p j/king

As far as friends are concerned, let them know you got busy life, so they dont feel you are ignoring them when you couldnt reply to their txt in 24 hours or have to postpone the meetup.

May be take days off from work?

May Allaah ta'ala put barakah in your time :)
            You're right i spend too much time here, need to change that in shaa Allah.

Ameen to the dua
            And strive because the sweetness of life lies in the struggle - Imam al-Shafi'i

Comment

Working...
            X