The sports culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sports culture

We live in a world where sports are to many a religion. I wonder why so many muslims watch sports. No doubt there is benefit playing sports for excercise purposes.

What is a muslim doing watching 20 men chase a ball on a pitch or watch men run to reach a finish line ?

They build staduims and huge sites. I often wonder where are the minds of muslims.

What benefit is there in watching a sport. What purposes do the watching of sports serve.

this thread isn't about halal and haram but about thinking about this sports culture and how if affects us.

Re: The sports culture

i agree we shouldn't get too involved, but at least its a halal activity

Remember the hadith about the Ethiopian performers
    How dare they challenge me with their primitive skills? They're just as good as dead

Comment

As long as you do your fardh duty like pray your salaah at time. I watch cricket myself but I know it's a waste of time. Surely you can do something better instead.
      الصلوۃ والسلام علیک یا سیدی یارسول اللہ

Comment

Originally posted by Talwaar View Post
        i agree we shouldn't get too involved, but at least its a halal activity

Remember the hadith about the Ethiopian performers
        This was not a daily or weekly activity

Comment

Originally posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
          We live in a world where sports are to many a religion. I wonder why so many muslims watch sports. No doubt there is benefit playing sports for excercise purposes.

What is a muslim doing watching 20 men chase a ball on a pitch or watch men run to reach a finish line ?

They build staduims and huge sites. I often wonder where are the minds of muslims.

What benefit is there in watching a sport. What purposes do the watching of sports serve.

this thread isn't about halal and haram but about thinking about this sports culture and how if affects us.
          Good topic. Something I find myself struggling with at the moment. The athletes I watch, are some of the worst human beings on the planet. (cheat on their wives, drink, commit zina.. and of course commit shirk!) yet, I watch them because they can put a ball through a hoop. Another thing is, when you yourself participate in sports, it changes your entire character. I'm a laid back dude, but when I play ball. I change, I start using foul language etc.. crazy how this effects ones character!.. but I'm limiting myself in both playing/watching sports.
          "The organisation that is called as "the state" puts effort to destroy jihad in Sham as they destroyed it in Iraq because of their obvious transgressions against Quran and Sunnah." Abu Khalid as-Suri (Rahimahullah)

Comment

I used to watch football a lot as a child due to it being on all the time, I got into it quite a bit too, but for the life of me I cannot understand people who dedicatedly watch every match their team plays even as adults - going so far as to adjust their lives around matches. Never mind those who pay obscene amounts of money to get season tickets, etc. and those who idolise the players by following their lives closely.

But I still think this wears off for most people when they start getting lives... right?
            Ya Muqallib al-Quloob, thabbit qalbi 'alaa Deenik
            O' Converter of Hearts, make my heart steadfast upon Thy Way
            We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Soliloquy View Post
              I used to watch football a lot as a child due to it being on all the time, I got into it quite a bit too, but for the life of me I cannot understand people who dedicatedly watch every match their team plays even as adults - going so far as to adjust their lives around matches. Never mind those who pay obscene amounts of money to get season tickets, etc. and those who idolise the players by following their lives closely.

But I still think this wears off for most people when they start getting lives... right?
              watching sports is the favorite free time of bulky middle aged men.
              your online source of hadiths: http://sunnah.com/
              ask me questions: ask.fm/caetratilegion

Comment

Working...
              X