Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion and changing name...

Salaam,

I am recently "officially" converted (get my conversion certificate from the Imam today :D). I would like to know if it is an obligation to change name and if yes, could someone give me some guidance about the name to choose.

Thanks in advance.

Ced.
    Last edited by cedricklondon; 16-11-13, 06:22 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes
    Ilaha Il Allah
    Lam yalid wa la yoolad

Good day or bad day say Alhamdulillah

Re: Conversion and changing name...

:salams

It's not obligatory to change name. Unless it's a name that goes against Islam. For instance a name of a pagan god.

What's a conversion certificate?
    Last edited by Yunus aua; 16-11-13, 05:48 PM.
    Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit :wavey:

Comment

:wswrwb: brother masha Allah welcome to the family:) you dont have to change your name as the brother said unless it had a bad
      meaning then you dont have to change your name, but what a lot of muslims do is have a nickname ( its called a kunya in arabic) so you could choose a name you like that muslims will know you by.

dont worry about conversion certificates some masjids do this, but your coming to islam is between you and Allah
      "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

insha Allah this might help explain

http://islamqa.com/en/23273
        "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
          :salams

It's not obligatory to change name. Unless it's a name that goes against Islam. For instance a name of a pagan god.

What's a conversion certificate?
          Salaam Yunus,
          The conversion certificate is the certificate that the Imam gives you when you have recite the Shahada, it is a proof of conversion...
          Ilaha Il Allah
          Lam yalid wa la yoolad

Comment

Originally posted by *asiya* View Post
            insha Allah this might help explain

http://islamqa.com/en/23273
            Salaam Asiya,
            Thank you for all your great answer . :D
            Ilaha Il Allah
            Lam yalid wa la yoolad

Comment

Assalamu `alaykum,

big warm welcome brother

if you were going to pick a name I would suggest Abdullah or Abdur-Rahman
              Allāhu akbar

Comment

Originally posted by neighbour View Post
                Assalamu `alaykum,

big warm welcome brother

if you were going to pick a name I would suggest Abdullah or Abdur-Rahman
                Waleikou Salaam,
                A great thanks for your "welcome" It is really pleasant to be warmly welcomed by all the Muslim community.
                And also thank you neighbour for your suggestion!
                Ilaha Il Allah
                Lam yalid wa la yoolad

Comment

Originally posted by cedricklondon View Post
                  Salaam Yunus,
                  The conversion certificate is the certificate that the Imam gives you when you have recite the Shahada, it is a proof of conversion...
                  Oh I see, it isn't necessary though.
                  I never got one
                  Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit :wavey:

Comment

Assalamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatu,

Welcome back brother

Notice I say 'back' because all mankind is born Muslim, it is the parents who either teach their children a different religion or keep them on the natural way (Islam). We are all happy you've come back.

Comment

:wswrwb:

Masha'allah! Like some posters said above you don't have to change your name if it doesn't have a meaning that goes against Islam.

Ibn Umar was asked, �Did the sahaba laugh?� He said, �Yes, and the faith in their hearts was like mountains.�

"You can not be the ummah that will call the world to goodness if you hate everybody else" - Nouman Ali Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
                        Oh I see, it isn't necessary though.
                        I never got one
                        Salaam Yunus,

It seems if you are converted, you need it to do the Hajj and to marry...
                        Ilaha Il Allah
                        Lam yalid wa la yoolad

Comment

Conversion and changing name...

brother welcome to islam, we're happy you worship Allah as your only god.

Comment

Keep your muslim identity by having a muslim name. Choose any good name for eg of the Sahabah, Prophets etc. Heres a few to choose from: Muhammad, Ahmed, Yusuf, Zaheer, Yusha' etc.
                            Yes, hajj if you can afford it.

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Comment

Asalaamu alaykum

Welcome to Islam bro. Ma shaa' Allah.

If you do wanna change your name ; here is my suggestion : Umar.

But it is true, if your name has no bad meaning, then you dont gotta change it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X