• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ariadne
    replied
    Re: Books or Lectures?

Originally posted by AhlulQuran88 View Post
    Both are disastrous ways of seeking knowledge. Knowledge is sought from scholars. Books and lectures benefit an individual.
    better than nothing at all.

if you seek to become scholar it's disastrous to only read books not scholars. every talieb 'ilm must learn to other scholars whose chain of sanad unbroken till our Prophet. but for layman who doesn't seek such path, books and lectures written by scholars are better than nothing at all.

lest you must ditch all kitaabs of ulema in your shelf to the bin because it's "disastrous".

sorry if i misunderstand your point tho

Leave a comment:

• AhlulQuran88
    replied

Both are disastrous ways of seeking knowledge. Knowledge is sought from scholars. Books and lectures benefit an individual.

Leave a comment:

• gamma
    replied

both, it is good to use a wide variety of sources to study from

Leave a comment:

• riafariana
    replied

Both. Lectures give me chances to meet pious people while books are my friends in all time I need.

Leave a comment:

• Sky Lark
    replied

Theres benefit from both.

Leave a comment:

• HouseStark
    replied

I find that what I read sticks in my mind much longer than what I hear spoken in a lecture, especially considering the fact I can quickly go back over a passage or a chapter that I had a difficult time understanding, something that can't be done at a live lecture.

Leave a comment:

• Mockingjay
    replied

Both. I read many books and attend many lectures too. During the lecture I usually ask some questions to the ustadz/mufti/syaikh. I pretty much like lecture actually, however it is kinda difficult to find knowledgeable person which can clarify my doubts about a matter.

Leave a comment:

• Ariadne
    replied

direct lectures are more personal, more human and "real", where we can ask question right away to the sheikh and get answer immediately. it's just with the pre-recorded lectures, I'm pretty impatient and the lecture audio/video file is usually big, too big for my slow internet connection.

however I'd prefer books, it's very flexible, especially E-books :p. Right now I store around 100 ebooks on my cellphone, no exaggerating. I'm greedy when it comes to books, I love reading very much and spend my alone time with it.

Leave a comment:

• Sky Lark
    replied

I think as long as both sources are reliable we can learn from all angles.

Leave a comment:

• .Hajar.
    replied

lectures that i can attend in person

books don't always provide you with all the answers and it can be difficult to verify information on your own

Leave a comment:

• Repentant
    started a poll Books or Lectures?

Books or Lectures?

Books
    60.00%
    Lectues
    40.00%
    Other (Please specify)
    0.00%
    When seeking knowledge of the deen, which source do you prefer. Books or lectures?

Discuss advantages/disadvantages of each medium.
Working...
X