Expecting guests, need help with hosting :o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Expecting guests, need help with hosting :o

Last edited by faatima18; 10-11-13, 09:56 AM.
    "O you who have believed, shall I guide you to a transaction that will save you from a painful punishment?
    (It is that) you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
    He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens beneath which rivers flow and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence. That is the great attainment"

"And (you will obtain) another (favour) that you love - victory from Allah and an imminent conquest; and give good tidings to the believers"

Comment

Originally posted by truepath
      people obviously are saying it seriously when they joking about locking the house and turning off the lights to avoid the guest... but this was a special character of sayyiduna Ibrahim alayhis salaam, whenever he used to sit to eat, he would invite a guest to have a meal with him. It comes about him that not a single day would pass that he would not have a guest that he would serve on his sufrah. A very special trait, I think something similar is said about Ali (ra) although not sure if was everyday in Ali (ra)'s case.
      Ali Radiyallahu anho - the occasion of Abu Zar radiyallahu anho accepting Islam.

Everyday - Abdullah bin Umar Radiyallahu anho would not sit to eat unless he had a peraon to eat with. Because of this trait of his, the needy would line outside his house when he came home to eat. Seeing this, Abdullah bin Umar Radiyallahu anho would eat little and feed the needy. Once, the wife of Abdullah bin Umar radiyallahu Anho, fearing the lack of eating byher husband, told the needy to go away. When Abdullah bin Umar Radiyallahu anho came home and saw he had no one to eat with, he never ate what was made for him. (Hayaatus Sahabah, somewhere in volume 2)

Thats the benchmark. How close/far are we...?

Originally posted by Ansaariyah View Post
      what is pateriya? :scratch:

they will be here for couple of hours, and i wont be alone all the time, but only at the beginning when i have to serve snacks and drinks, i will be alone as my fam will be @walimah venue.
      Pateriya..I've forgot the other names that the gujjis of other villages use. Its corn flour-masala paste rolled in bay leaves, fried.

Anyway, I hope it all went well!
      وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
      Al Baqarah : Verse 13

Comment

how did it go
        My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
        ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
        “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Comment

I think you'll do awesome :up: hope it all went well inshaAllah :)
          الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

Comment

@ F_R That video me me laugh!!!

I think I'm more of a bad guest than host :-/ I do the poking thing sometimes loool and playing your it!!!
            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by Muslima London View Post
              Savouries

Puff pastries, got time for that??
              Breadsticks n dips
              Pakora
              Egg fried rice/pasta

N I was thinking about good rather then the washing up gloves :p
              pasta? PASTA? you call pasta as munchies? lol its a whole meal for me :p

if you love me, you would help me, that sound so cheesy :o

Originally posted by Meriadoc View Post
              Nachos :love:
              Or tortilla crisps with a choice of salsa and hummus (however you spell it- I love hummus).
              Or gathiya and bombay mix
              i browsed this thread in store and bought asian snacks lol shukran :)

Originally posted by noobz View Post
              halwa
              gulab jaman
              laddoo
              they already had jamuns in dawat,

Originally posted by neelu View Post
              I'd add some savoury stuff to that. Take ur pic: mini kebabs, roast tandoori drumsticks, baked spring rolls or mini filo samosas- stuff along those lines as well as a cake or biscuits. I dunno what khamar is so guessing ur not pakistani?
              yea not pakistani and khamar is dhokla basically yellow savoury cake?

like this>> Click image for larger version

Name:	dhokla.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	10742353

:jkk: them were some heavy suggestions :o

Originally posted by Jenicca View Post
              Ukti....as much as hosting guests is a big sunnah and carries a great reward if done with the correct intentions, bear in mind the sunnah of simplicity.

These days we go overboard when hosting and as guests we expect a lot too.

Bear in mind they have probably had a lavish meal at a wedding.

Dont hold back when hosting but do not go to extremes either.

You'll be fine inshaAllah :love:
              jee, i agree, :alhumdull it went well atleast for me lol shukran :love:

Originally posted by F_R View Post
              Dudey take some tips from these lot, the first bit about "bad host", we don't want you scaring away the guests or leaving a bad impression

am gonna need tht clip SPECIFICALLY when you come over up north @)

Originally posted by .Hajar. View Post
              :wswrwb:

oh em gee!
              such mehman-nawazi for me!!

my love for you increaseth mani-fold,
              you, my laKri, are pure gold ~~
              u aint no mehmaan so no nawazi shawaazi for u :p

so from diamond you have demoted me to gold? :(

ps. chocolate toffees won't do, now molten lava cake..yumm!
              toffees are practical when you have to serve the masses and particularly for kids

Originally posted by faatima18 View Post
              whatever you do, don't forget the shaax lol
              in cha Allaah i did not :o

Originally posted by i.badat View Post
              Ali Radiyallahu anho - the occasion of Abu Zar radiyallahu anho accepting Islam.

Everyday - Abdullah bin Umar Radiyallahu anho would not sit to eat unless he had a peraon to eat with. Because of this trait of his, the needy would line outside his house when he came home to eat. Seeing this, Abdullah bin Umar Radiyallahu anho would eat little and feed the needy. Once, the wife of Abdullah bin Umar radiyallahu Anho, fearing the lack of eating byher husband, told the needy to go away. When Abdullah bin Umar Radiyallahu anho came home and saw he had no one to eat with, he never ate what was made for him. (Hayaatus Sahabah, somewhere in volume 2)

Thats the benchmark. How close/far are we...?

Pateriya..I've forgot the other names that the gujjis of other villages use. Its corn flour-masala paste rolled in bay leaves, fried.

Anyway, I hope it all went well!
              :sub: thats beautiful :jkk: for sharing

ahh we call it paatraa, and you do know its not easy to make yea?

:alhumdull it went good

Originally posted by Fairy View Post
              how did it go
              Originally posted by whisperofimaan View Post
              I think you'll do awesome :up: hope it all went well inshaAllah :)
              :alhumdull i think i did good, no complaints from my side atleast lol they were suppose to come after dhuhr but being asian, they came nearly asr time so that give me good time to make cutlets.

Most time iwas simply nodding head to whatever was said cos i couldnt understand their language well, so one lady asked me qibla direction and i llike a fool was nodding head and saying yes yes then when her DIL came to me with prayer mat, i realised shes asking for qibla :o they were makin fun of my broken gujji language lol

one even had a quite chubby baby boy :masha: i could so bite his cheeks lol he drooled on my arms when i hold him and his sister shes a toddler she was sucha chatter box :masha: sat on my lap and started fidgeting with my fone having bunch of kids around was the best bit.

over all i would mark meself 6.5 :fairy:

sigpic

Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta Khalaqtani wa ana'abduka, wa ana 'ala 'ahdika wa Wa'dika mastata'tu A'uidhubika min sharri ma sana'tu.' abu'u Laka bi ni 'matika wa'ala abu'u bidhanbi; faghfirli fa'innahu la yaghfiru-dh-dhunuba illa anta.
              O Allah, You are my Lord, none has the right to be worshipped except You, You created me and I am Your servant and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best I can, I take refuge in You from the evil of which I have committed. I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledgemy sin, so forgive me, for verilynone can forgive sin except You.

We are accountable for every letter we post here, so think before posting and maintain modesty.

Comment

Awwwwwwww :masha: glad it went well for you

لا تفكر كثيرا
                بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
                The children need your prayers more than anyone else
                -------------------------------------------------------
                www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

ahh we call it paatraa, and you do know its not easy to make yea?

:alhumdull it went good
                  Paatra! Thats what everyone else calls it! lol..we freeze them at home once they're boiled, ready for frying..

EDIT: Not boiled, steamed..

Yeh Dunya Bohot Choti Hai......
                  Last edited by i.badat; 10-11-13, 06:25 PM.
                  وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمۡ ءَامِنُواْ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلنَّاسُ قَالُوٓاْ أَنُؤۡمِنُ كَمَآ ءَامَنَ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ*ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّهُمۡ هُمُ ٱلسُّفَهَآءُ وَلَـٰكِن لَّا يَعۡلَمُونَ

And when it is said unto them: believe as the people believe, they say: Shall we believe as the foolish believe? Beware! They indeed are the foolish? But they know not.
                  Al Baqarah : Verse 13

Comment

Thanks for the dhokla image, I've heard of them but never knew what they were.

Sounds like it all went well with the guests then- it's nice that there were two gorgeously edible kids there:) I think as long as you put in a sincere effort you did good and the rest depends on what sort of guests you had. Some guests are snobby (as mentioned in the other 'bad guests' thread) that even if you serve them appropriate simple nice things they go to the gossip circuit complaining that you were a bad host for not giving them a five course meal on the finest crockery whereas other guests are reasonable and understanding.

One time some years ago I organised an iftar dinner for some friends and some relatives who live locally. I hadn't really prepared a full meal for guests before as that was usually mum's department so this was new to me but I did my best. I think my mum was a bit embarrassed cos' although I made fairly good food but it wasn't as elaborate as the OTT lengths she was used to going to. Towards the end of the evening mum sheepishly approached my aunty and was trying to apologise for the food not meeting my mum's excessive standards and the aunty said the food was absolutely fine I don't know what you're apologising for and besides, there are very few people I know who are your daughter's age and can cook even the basic things you'd expect to find in a decent Pakistani meal I think she did really well (then came her inevitable quip to her own daughters "See! These are skills you should learn too!" :P ). My mum refuses to invite snobby demanding guests anyway so that makes life easier.
                    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

u aint no mehmaan so no nawazi shawaazi for u :p

so from diamond you have demoted me to gold? :(

you should be happy voman, gold is synonymous with desi'ness..now don't tell me you've already forgotten that thread.. *sad*
                      sigpic

Comment

we dont have bakery in locals so i will have to see what my cash&carry got with regards to cakes :jkk: would be cheap to offer fairy cakes? lol :o

LOOOOOOOL :jkk: had i knew about this thread, i wouldnt have asked there, that clip is hilarious and i hope i dont make same mistakes what the host in that video did :insha: :)

:jkk: that's the thing, they are coming over soon after walimah so they will be well fed anyway, hence iam confused what to serve, otherwise usual fried goodies would be best option inni

for sweets am going with cakes (swissroll) and almond naan khatai? stil dont knwo if crisps alone would suffice for savory side hmm

haha :jkk: yes yes, course, most are tea drinkers so :insha: tea for sure

lol with masala eh?

samosas was thinking earlier, but wouldnt it be too heavy for after meal ? :/

oh :jkk: i need to get juice too, forgot about that, for kids.

OMG you sisters are the bestttttt :jkk: khamar is sucha brill idea and jens no lol i dont have time to cook/bake anything now, they coming after dhuhr :insha:

why i didnt think of chocolates, sucha easy option and liked by most :alhumdull

:jkk: jwhat is pateriya? :scratch:

they will be here for couple of hours, and i wont be alone all the time, but only at the beginning when i have to serve snacks and drinks, i will be alone as my fam will be @walimah venue.
                        What on earth is khamar?
                        Alhumdulillah

Comment

Originally posted by islam lover View Post
                          What on earth is khamar?
                          It's a moist savory cake, appetizer :o https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 :up:

Originally posted by i.badat View Post
                          Paatra! Thats what everyone else calls it! lol..we freeze them at home once they're boiled, ready for frying..

EDIT: Not boiled, steamed..

Yeh Dunya Bohot Choti Hai......
                          oh yea my mum does that but this time i had to do last minute preps.

Do you guys make paatra with lamb? try that, its delicious, i even have paatra with roti

you should be happy voman, gold is synonymous with desi'ness..now don't tell me you've already forgotten that thread.. *sad*
                          didju just say what I think you said?

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                          Thanks for the dhokla image, I've heard of them but never knew what they were.

Sounds like it all went well with the guests then- it's nice that there were two gorgeously edible kids there:) I think as long as you put in a sincere effort you did good and the rest depends on what sort of guests you had. Some guests are snobby (as mentioned in the other 'bad guests' thread) that even if you serve them appropriate simple nice things they go to the gossip circuit complaining that you were a bad host for not giving them a five course meal on the finest crockery whereas other guests are reasonable and understanding.

One time some years ago I organised an iftar dinner for some friends and some relatives who live locally. I hadn't really prepared a full meal for guests before as that was usually mum's department so this was new to me but I did my best. I think my mum was a bit embarrassed cos' although I made fairly good food but it wasn't as elaborate as the OTT lengths she was used to going to. Towards the end of the evening mum sheepishly approached my aunty and was trying to apologise for the food not meeting my mum's excessive standards and the aunty said the food was absolutely fine I don't know what you're apologising for and besides, there are very few people I know who are your daughter's age and can cook even the basic things you'd expect to find in a decent Pakistani meal I think she did really well (then came her inevitable quip to her own daughters "See! These are skills you should learn too!" :P ). My mum refuses to invite snobby demanding guests anyway so that makes life easier.
                          So far i havent heard no complaints lol and its been what, 2 days now? :o so :alhumdull........ they were genuinely good company to be around.

The worst taunt i had was that i dont give time to guests, as in spend time with them in front room, which is true, cos i am reserved person and prefer to instead stuck in kitchen looking after snacks and drinks, after have greeted them at the beginning.

I reckon you come from proper asian background then, i can relate to what you mentioned above, especially the bold bit, although it would be me been told how other girls can do so much and have achieve so much and so on :masha: lol

I am all for 'going out of your way' to offer food and drinks to the guests SO LONG AS IT DON'T GET WASTED, arghhh thats one of my pet peeve.

sigpic

Allahumma anta Rabbi la ilaha illa anta Khalaqtani wa ana'abduka, wa ana 'ala 'ahdika wa Wa'dika mastata'tu A'uidhubika min sharri ma sana'tu.' abu'u Laka bi ni 'matika wa'ala abu'u bidhanbi; faghfirli fa'innahu la yaghfiru-dh-dhunuba illa anta.
                          O Allah, You are my Lord, none has the right to be worshipped except You, You created me and I am Your servant and I abide to Your covenant and promise as best I can, I take refuge in You from the evil of which I have committed. I acknowledge Your favour upon me and I acknowledgemy sin, so forgive me, for verilynone can forgive sin except You.

We are accountable for every letter we post here, so think before posting and maintain modesty.

Comment

Do people really complain or spread rumours etc

As a guest or a host its never even crossed my mind.
                            وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"If Allah (swt) only sent this Surah to us, for the guidance of Mankind, this will be enough for us” - Imam Shaafi'ee r.a.

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

aye, it spreads all over the world infact :/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jenicca View Post
                                Do people really complain or spread rumours etc

As a guest or a host its never even crossed my mind.
                                yes some do.
                                they talk about your house, you, your food, your family, what they saw in your home etc...you get the point
                                which is why guests stress me out
                                "O you who have believed, shall I guide you to a transaction that will save you from a painful punishment?
                                (It is that) you believe in Allah and His Messenger and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your lives. That is best for you, if you should know.
                                He will forgive for you your sins and admit you to gardens beneath which rivers flow and pleasant dwellings in gardens of perpetual residence. That is the great attainment"

"And (you will obtain) another (favour) that you love - victory from Allah and an imminent conquest; and give good tidings to the believers"

Comment

Working...
                                X