Saris - is it permissible to wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saris - is it permissible to wear?

A while ago my friend and I had a discussion on the topic of wearing saris whereby I said it is not permissible to wear but she insisted that it is a dress of Muslims in some villages therefore nothing wrong in it but I am not convinced as all I know is that hindus wear saris and therefore we should not imitate them as it is their religeous dress..

What are your thoughts?

Hadhrat Ali (Radiallahu anhu)

Re: Saris - is it permissible to wear?

Well I wear a saree if I go to weddings but the blouse is adjusted and I wear a shawl wrapped around me

It's just a cultural dress . You don't have to wear it

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

please donate to the Ummah forum sadaqa jariya project. Click on the link for for more information, and to make a donation- https://www.justgiving.com/sadaqah-jariyah-project/

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Lark View Post
      A while ago my friend and I had a discussion on the topic of wearing saris whereby I said it is not permissible to wear but she insisted that it is a dress of Muslims in some villages therefore nothing wrong in it but I am not convinced as all I know is that hindus wear saris and therefore we should not imitate them as it is their religeous dress..

What are your thoughts?
      as long as it is not see through, and covers the whole body except the face/hands etc than it's Permissible to wear.

it should not be so extravagant as to attract the attention of the opposite gender.

any clothing is Permissible as long as it doesn't expose the awrah of the man or women respectively as defined by the Quran and Sunnah

:jkk:
      Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 25-10-13, 05:43 PM.
      http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

Comment

Saris - is it permissible to wear?

Long sleeve, adjust the blouse. Then its ok to wear it.

Comment

I think there's a modest way of wearing saris and an immodest way. The modest way involves sewing up the blouse so that it has proper full sleeves, is not low cut and is long enough to not expose the navel area; then the end of the sari is draped around the person like a shawl and as long as she wears a headscarf with it and it isn't one of those flashy sparkly tabarruj ones, then it's fine. I've seen some Bengali auntyjees wear saris like that but tbh it's considered to be an "old lady" style to wear it modestly. The immodest way of wearing a sari is to have a short sleeve blouse, have a short blouse which exposes the midriff area and the sari itself is draped/wrapped in such a way that it doesn't really cover much- that's aside from the issue of how flashy/sparkly it is... that style is called the 'modern/fashionable' way to wear a sari and is how young models and bollywood actresses wear it.

I used to wear saris in the women's section of segregated weddings a few times but I'm not very good at handling it- apparently it takes practice to know how to wear it in an elegant way and my body language is definitely not elegant I'm more slouchy or tomboyish. I don't wear saris anymore.
          The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Saris can be more modest than those stuck to your legs trousers (I believe they are called churidar).

Originally posted by neelu View Post
            I used to wear saris in the women's section of segregated weddings a few times but I'm not very good at handling it- apparently it takes practice to know how to wear it in an elegant way and my body language is definitely not elegant I'm more slouchy or tomboyish. I don't wear saris anymore.
            Lol same here, too much effort.

Comment

I like wearing saris. Lots of women I know wear it so it's not revealing at all, though you need practice learning to put it on.

As someone else mentioned, there are other types of dress far more revealing.
              "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too" Essay on Tolerance, Voltaire

Comment

Jazakallah to all for your input.

Are you sure its not a hindu culture dress?

Comment

i love playing with all my moms sarees

she has the most beutiful sarees ever, and she still has one from 40 years ago when she first married my dad. Apparently the first saree dad ever brought her.
                  she has tried to give it away but we have stopped her.

yeah watch out for net sarees. they are atrociously see through. i dont know how anyone could wear them

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

please donate to the Ummah forum sadaqa jariya project. Click on the link for for more information, and to make a donation- https://www.justgiving.com/sadaqah-jariyah-project/

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Lark View Post
                    Jazakallah to all for your input.

Are you sure its not a hindu culture dress?

bangladeshi muslims wear it and your right indian hindus wear it but i dont think its a 'religous' thing but a 'cultural' one - the equivalent of a nigerian muslim man wearing his costumy type thing

Comment

Please dont hate me for saying this, and in our Deen there is a lot of room for individualism but I recall that I really wanted to wear a sari for a day before my wedding.

My entire family were fine with it, except my father.

It was a totally segregated occasion, with men not even getting a look in.

I bought it, its beautiful green and gold from Bangladesh, and my family loved it and masha'Allah it looked really nice, and my neighbour offered to help me put it on with the drapes and falls etc

I bought it home, and my father looked at me wearing it, looked down and all he said to me was if you want to wear you wear it....but just recall that Nabi :saw: said that whoever imitates a nation will be amongst them, or to the nearest wording.

That day and those words stuck with me, and Ive never even taken out the sari from its packaging since.

I would love to wear one, and I know many sisters do, and masha'Allah look lovely wearing them, but i dont think I will ever be able to

My mum, lol, bless her fought my corner so much and said it would be cool if I wore it. But my heart wouldn't settle at the displeasure of my dad.
                      Last edited by Jenicca; 25-10-13, 07:26 PM.
                      وَالْعَصْرِ

إِنَّ الْإِنسَانَ لَفِي خُسْرٍ

إِلَّا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالْحَقِّ وَتَوَاصَوْا بِالصَّبْرِ

"Yeh dunya daar e faani hain, Tum apna dil mat lagaon, Ganimat samaj zinadagee ki bahar, aana na hoga, yahaa baar baar......"

Khanqah Habibiyah

Comment

Mmmm, but what's the diff between a shalwar kameez n a saree??

Comment

Thanks for interesting story.

Comment

ugh. some women wear saris and show off their flabby love handles. drape all around aunties.
                            لآ اِلَهَ اِلّا اللّهُ مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُوُل اللّهِ

Comment

Originally posted by Muslima London View Post
                              Mmmm, but what's the diff between a shalwar kameez n a saree??
                              Shalwar kameez is (as far as I know) a dress and trousers. Sari is long fabric wrapped around you then over the shoulder or head with an underskirt and a blouse.
                              "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too" Essay on Tolerance, Voltaire

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X