Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be haram or wrong to be a vegetarian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Would it be haram or wrong to be a vegetarian?

Originally posted by FutureImam View Post
    I know someone who has two parrots and subhnallah subhnallah the parrot knows how to say the athan just like a shiek!
    they are great at mimicking sounds, but a goat or sheep is most fun, enjoy yours.:up:

Comment

I know someone who has two parrots and subhnallah subhnallah the parrot knows how to say the athan just like a shiek!
      next time make a video and stream it here... may be you'd be a millionaire next day posting on youtube =/
      لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

Comment

Originally posted by truepath View Post
        next time make a video and stream it here... may be you'd be a millionaire next day posting on youtube =/

Inshallah one day I'll post it. It sound so beautiful.Lol I doubt i'd be a millionaire
        Don't depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in the darkness

Comment

Inshallah one day I'll post it. It sound so beautiful.Lol I doubt i'd be a millionaire
          yeh... if you get to do.. make sure you link me to the post... cuz I am not always active on the forum... but dont wanna miss out on such a rare stint of a parrot. =p
          لا أريد مِنْكُمْ جَزَاء وَلا شُكُورًا

Comment

Originally posted by truepath View Post
            yeh... if you get to do.. make sure you link me to the post... cuz I am not always active on the forum... but dont wanna miss out on such a rare stint of a parrot. =p
            inshallah it might be a long wait because the person doesn't live where I live but inshallah I will visit them soon
            Don't depend too much on anyone in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in the darkness

Comment

I can only give a layperson's point of view here as I don't know if there have been fatwas on this but it depends on your intention. If your intention is to avoid meat due to: wanting to save money, feeling unconvinced that the halal meat industry produces proper halal 'tayyib' meat or developing an allergy to meat then it's permitted to avoid meat for those reasons.

If on the other hand, you want to avoid meat because you believe that eating meat is inherently wrong, environmentally unsustainable and would avoid meat even if it is halal, tayyib and produced to good welfare standards then that would be Islamically questionable because it would be like trying to make the halal haraam or worse (nauzobillah), implying that Allah (swt) has allowed inherent cruelty or something along those lines.

My understanding of the Sunnah (which is not much so by all means correct me if I'm wrong), is that eating meat wasn't much of a regular occurence anyway. Meat was customarily served at weddings, distributed on Eid al Adha and after the birth of a baby and meat was an expensive resource which was why it was given at celebrations or why those who could afford it maybe served it to honoured guests (ie deciding to slaughter a sheep or camel in honour of respected visitors)- so reducing one's meat intake to once a week or less is more likely to be in keeping with the Sunnah (by all means correct me if I'm wrong) rather than giving it up altogether.

These days in the west it has become so commonplace for people to eat meat everyday and they hear of it mentioned in the Sunnah so sometimes jump to the incorrect conclusion that it must have been a sunnah to eat meat all the time when in fact the more regular routine foods mentioned in the Sunnah are things like dates, bread, water (yes not a food but still), pumpkin, barley and also other foods are mentioned such as honey, olives, black seed but it's difficult to gauge how often they were consumed. I really think it's about time someone properly researched Sunnah eating habits to compile a more comprehensive log of this rather than just a few unconnected random ahadith.

I wanna become a vegetarian but would it be haram because the Prophet (pbuh) ate meat and meat isn't forbidden. This is just a personal choice of mine but would it still be haram or wrong?
              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                I can only give a layperson's point of view here as I don't know if there have been fatwas on this but it depends on your intention. If your intention is to avoid meat due to: wanting to save money, feeling unconvinced that the halal meat industry produces proper halal 'tayyib' meat or developing an allergy to meat then it's permitted to avoid meat for those reasons.

If on the other hand, you want to avoid meat because you believe that eating meat is inherently wrong, environmentally unsustainable and would avoid meat even if it is halal, tayyib and produced to good welfare standards then that would be Islamically questionable because it would be like trying to make the halal haraam or worse (nauzobillah), implying that Allah (swt) has allowed inherent cruelty or something along those lines.

My understanding of the Sunnah (which is not much so by all means correct me if I'm wrong), is that eating meat wasn't much of a regular occurence anyway. Meat was customarily served at weddings, distributed on Eid al Adha and after the birth of a baby and meat was an expensive resource which was why it was given at celebrations or why those who could afford it maybe served it to honoured guests (ie deciding to slaughter a sheep or camel in honour of respected visitors)- so reducing one's meat intake to once a week or less is more likely to be in keeping with the Sunnah (by all means correct me if I'm wrong) rather than giving it up altogether.

These days in the west it has become so commonplace for people to eat meat everyday and they hear of it mentioned in the Sunnah so sometimes jump to the incorrect conclusion that it must have been a sunnah to eat meat all the time when in fact the more regular routine foods mentioned in the Sunnah are things like dates, bread, water (yes not a food but still), pumpkin, barley and also other foods are mentioned such as honey, olives, black seed but it's difficult to gauge how often they were consumed. I really think it's about time someone properly researched Sunnah eating habits to compile a more comprehensive log of this rather than just a few unconnected random ahadith.

What if I can't stomach eating meat?

Comment

There's "can't stomach meat because for some medical reason I don't digest it properly", there's "can't stomach meat because I happen to dislike the taste of it" and these are valid reasons because meat and veg are permitted but you merely make a choice that you prefer the taste of foods that are not meat or that your body doesn't digest it properly so you avoid it.

On the other hand if it's a case of "can't stomach meat because killing an animal is cruel and I'd feel like a heartless cruel person for eating its flesh" then I see that as a problem cos' it's like you've taken issue with how Allah (swt) decided the natural order of things should be. Allah (swt) made meat halal for a reason and encouraged us to slaughter them for Eid, weddings and certain special occasions. See where I'm going with this? Even if you stopped eating meat, your household would still be under obligation to pay for a qurbani (slaughter of a sheep) on Eid al Adha (assuming that your family could afford it) and you're supposed to distribute meat after having children as well.
                  The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Working...
                  X