is chew haram???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is chew haram???

I've heard it from all different directions and I am saying since it isn't an intoxicant, and there is nothing in the Quran that suggests it is indeed haram, it isn't. What do you say

Re: is chew haram???

Originally posted by Omar Ezat View Post
    I've heard it from all different directions and I am saying since it isn't an intoxicant, and there is nothing in the Quran that suggests it is indeed haram, it isn't. What do you say
    :salams

I assuming you mean chat(I know somalis chew it, some leaf sometimes soaked in water) ?
    Or is it something else.
    If it is chat, then from what I've heard it is haram.
    I've only seen corrupt people using it, so that should be enough of a sign tbh
    Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit

Comment

If you mean chewing tobacco. It does cause cancer, smells horrible, is disgusting habit because you need to spit out tobacco juices, it is highly addicting, even without cancer it destroys your gums and teeth, waste of money, and smells horrible (yes I listed it two times because it is horrible). It gives you horrible bad breath.
      https://www.google.com/search?q=chew...ih=543&dpr=1.2
      Last edited by Serada; 10-10-13, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Serada View Post
        If you mean chewing tobacco. It does cause cancer, smells horrible, is disgusting habit because you need to spit out tobacco juices, it is highly addicting, even without cancer it destroys your gums, waste of money, and smells horrible (yes I listed it two times because it is horrible). It gives you horrible bad breath.
        https://www.google.com/search?q=chew...ih=543&dpr=1.2
        If it's that, then the same ruling should apply as with cigarettes since it's harmful to ones self

Away for a bit

Comment

It is very dangerous for you to make a certain decision regarding the legality of something without proper knowledge. It is even more dangerous when you ask the public (ummah members) to decide their opinion regarding the legality of something.
          To the people who feel obligated to reply to every single thread even if with a lol:
          Not every thread demands [one's] input, some are more advanced than [one's] thinking, so read and learn.
          Others are of subjects [one] has discussed many times before [so] just read them to see how others feel about a subject.
          - AbuM

Comment

Originally posted by pickaname View Post
            It is very dangerous for you to make a certain decision regarding the legality of something without proper knowledge. It is even more dangerous when you ask the public (ummah members) to decide their opinion regarding the legality of something.

Not basing it on opinion.
            Tabacco Haram ?

And Khat/Chat/Qat is basically a drug an intoxicant.

There are certain rulings that we should just know, just like alcohol and pigs
            Last edited by Yunus aua; 10-10-13, 10:44 PM.

Away for a bit

Comment

If you're talking about Qaat, green leafy things Somalis and Yemenis chew day and night then yes it is haraam. It intoxicates you. And it stinks.

Do not think of minor sins as insignificant, for mountains are made out of pebbles.

Comment

What is chew? Are you talking about qaat/gaat?

If it is that it is best to abstain because it is a stimulant, and in excess it can lead to mania/paranoia, and possibly schizophrenia add to that psychic dependence.

It is a waste of money, and you are destroying your health. You could do something more beneficial with your time than sit in a majlis and chew all day. It is a terrible terrible thing for a Muslim to do.

Read this in sha' Allah. http://www.al-bab.com/bys/articles/hassan05.htm

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/36739

Khat may be UNSAFE for use. Although it isn't associated with physical addiction, it can cause psychological dependence.

Khat can cause many side effects including mood changes, increased alertness, excessive talkativeness, hyperactivity, excitement, aggressiveness, anxiety, elevated blood pressure, manic behavior, paranoia, and psychoses. Trouble sleeping (insomnia), loss of energy (malaise), and lack of concentration usually follow.

Other effects include rapid heart rate, heart palpitations, increased blood pressure, faster breathing rates, increased body temperature, sweating, eye changes, mouth ulcers, inflammation of the esophagus and stomach, gum disease, jaw problems (TMJ), and constipation.

Regular use in young people is linked to high blood pressure.

Severe side effects include migraine, bleeding in the brain, heart attack, lung problems, liver damage, changes in sex drive, and inability to get an erection (impotence).

Chewing khat leaves has led to infections that can cause problems such as pain below the ribs, changes in white blood cells, and an enlarged liver.
                Special Precautions & Warnings:
                Pregnancy and breast-feeding: It is UNSAFE to use khat if you are pregnant. Khat may lower birth weight. It is also UNSAFE to use khat if you are breast-feeding. Some of the active chemicals it contains can pass into breast-milk.

Diabetes: Using khat seems to lower appetite, causing people to skip meals. When eating becomes less routine, people with diabetes may stop following their recommended diet. This could lead to higher blood sugar levels.
                http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...dientName=KHAT

And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another). Surely, Allah is Most Merciful to you

[an-Nisa’ 4:29]

and do not throw yourselves into destruction

[al-Baqarah 2:195].

And the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “There should be neither harm nor reciprocating of harm.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah with a hasan isnaad.

Even if you think it won't affect you now there is a possibility it will in the long run. Our body is an amaanah from Allah we shouldn't willingly use substances that might cause illnesses in the near, or distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
                  If it's that, then the same ruling should apply as with cigarettes since it's harmful to ones self
                  I am not a Muslim, but I think it is. Cigarets/smoking is considered Haram from what I read.

Comment

Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
                    From what I hear, from majority scholars, it is haram. It's considered haram because it causes the people around you and yourself to be harmed. Anything that harms the body or mind is haram, let alone harming other people. It's a waste of money as well.

He allows them all that is good and lawful, and prohibits them as unlawful all that is evil (things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods, drinks, etc.). (Quran 7/157)
                    Numerous points to why smoking is(or should be) considered haram:
                    http://www.islamicfinder.org/article...2&lang=english

Peace, love and unity.
                    [COLOR="#FFA07A"]:lailah: "You will not enter paradise until you have faith. And you will not complete your faith until you love one another." Prophet Muhammad :saw:
                    "Be kind, for whenever kindness is part of something, it beautifies it. Whenever it is taken from something, it leaves it tarnished." Prophet Muhammad :saw:[/COLOR]

Comment

Khat (Catha edulis; "edible kat"[1]) is a flowering plant native to the Horn of Africa and the Arabian Peninsula. Among communities from these areas, khat chewing has a long history as a social custom dating back thousands of years.[2]

Khat contains a monoamine alkaloid called cathinone, an amphetamine-like stimulant, which is said to cause excitement, loss of appetite and euphoria. In 1980, the World Health Organization (WHO) classified it as a drug of abuse that can produce mild to moderate psychological dependence (less than tobacco or alcohol),[3] although the WHO does not consider khat to be seriously addictive.[2] The plant has been targeted by anti-drug organizations such as the DEA.[4] It is a controlled substance in some countries, such as the United States, Canada and Germany, while its production, sale, and consumption are legal in other nations, including Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia and Yemen.[5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khat

For comparison, Opium is also an alkaloid.

Comment

Working...
                      X