Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lying on your resume/job application

Assalamu Alaikum,

Having some problems, maybe you guys could help. I have finished school and I'm currently applying for work. My family (parents mostly), are monitoring my progress. They are under the impression that you can't get anywhere without embellishing your resume. When I tell them I didn't have a certain requirement for one or two postings, they get angry and ask why I didn't just say I did, even though I didn't. When I say I don't feel comfortable lying on anything I send to employers, they get even angrier and say "well, you won't get a job".

How can I (politely) get my point across and avoid the third degree. Personally, I don't even want a job that I have gotten by blatantly disobeying Allah. But I can't continue on like this, I've been hearing this from them since I've been old enough to work (15 years old).

Please help!

JK

Re: Lying on your resume/job application

Originally posted by Primrose View Post
    Assalamu Alaikum,

Having some problems, maybe you guys could help. I have finished school and I'm currently applying for work. My family (parents mostly), are monitoring my progress. They are under the impression that you can't get anywhere without embellishing your resume. When I tell them I didn't have a certain requirement for one or two postings, they get angry and ask why I didn't just say I did, even though I didn't. When I say I don't feel comfortable lying on anything I send to employers, they get even angrier and say "well, you won't get a job".

How can I (politely) get my point across and avoid the third degree. Personally, I don't even want a job that I have gotten by blatantly disobeying Allah. But I can't continue on like this, I've been hearing this from them since I've been old enough to work (15 years old).

Please help!

JK
    You seem to be asking for help for an answer you already know. There's only one simple answer and there is no complicated advice needed. Just. Say. No. It won't work both ways.

Comment

remind them if you are caught, you will get fired and then your prospects for future employment are severly harmed. and lying is haram. they can't make you do it.
      Fabi-ayyiala -i rabbikuma tukaththibani
      Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr8DR8frP_s

You are not here just to fill space or to be a background character in someone else's movie. Consider this: nothing would be the same if you did not exist. Every place you have ever been and everyone you have ever spoken to would be different without you. We are all connected, and we are all affected by the decisions and even the existence of those around us.

Comment

Wa Alaykum As Salaam Wa Rahmatullah Wa Barakatuh

Just don't do it. The thing is you might think the interviewer will not notice these things but they could possibly ask you about the small details sooner or later. Worse even when you least expect it they will remember certain things and they will make sure you can demonstrate your ability to do whatever it is you added in your CV.

I remember adding that I can speak my mother language on my CV, and once they called me in to help translate for a patient. Alhamdulilah I can speak my native language, however there are some dialects that are a little more difficult to understand.

So you need to be careful with these things.

May Allah provide you, and us with a means of halaal rizq.

Comment

Honestly OP may people do lie or at least exagerrate on their resume or application. No its not something we should whether or not well e caught Allah knows. Put your trust in Allah and be truthful and he will provide a way out for you inshallah

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't going to lie. I just wanted to confront my parents without it leading to a huge argument. We don't see eye to eye on a lot of things.

Comment

no one likes a dishonest employee. anyway, if you lied on your resume,and you went for a technical job, you will get caught out so fast. aptitude tests and all sorts. one place i worked, a person got kicked out just days after they started working, because they lied about attaining a degree lol. so embarassing.
              Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children...

-Quran (57:20)

Comment

salaams to all

maybe u should show/tell them about these few ahadith about lying:

Hazrat Safwaan bin Sulaim radiallaho ta’ala anhu narrates that Rasool Allah sallalaho alaihe wasallam was asked,
                ”Can a believer be a coward? He said, “Yes, he can be coward. Then it was asked whether a believer could be a miser? He replied, “Yes, he can be a miser”, it was then asked whether a believer could be a liar? He replied, “No, a believer cannot be a liar.” (Imam Malik, Mishkaat)

Hazrat Abu Hurairah (Radhiyallaahu Anhu) narrates, in a hadith, that the Prophet (PBUH) said, “The signs of a hypocrite are three; whenever he speaks, he tells a lie; whenever he promises, he breaks his promise; if you have trust in him, he proves to be dishonest.”

The above hadith of Prophet(PBUH) is of such importance to us, his Ummah, because it demonstrates to us that how evil it is to speak lies, that Prophet(S.A.W) associated the telling of lies with a hypocrite.

In another hadith narrated by Hazrat Abu Hurairah(Radhiyallaahu Anhu), Prophet (PBUH) said, “Whoever does not give up false statements (i.e. telling lies), and evil deeds, and uttering bad words to others, Allah is not in need of his (fasting) leaving his food and drink.” This is a clear indication to us how evil speaking lies is in the sight of Allah Taala that Allah Taala will not accept our Ibadat becase of us telling lies.

Hazrat Abdullah ibn Umar narrates that Allah’s Messenger(PBUH) said, “When a man lies, the angel moves a mile from him because of the bad odour of what he has produced.” Samura bin Jundub relates that the Prophet(PBUH) said, “I saw (in a deream), two men came to me.” Then the Prophet(PBUH) narrated the story (saying), “They said, `The person, the one whose cheek you saw being torn away (from the mouth to the ear) was a liar and used to tell lies and the people would report those lies on his authority till they spread all over the world. So he will be punished like that till the day of Ressurrection.`”

Abdullah narrates that the Prophet(PBUH) said, “Truthfulness leads to righteousness, and righteousness leads to paradise. And a man keeps on telling the truth until he becomes a truthful person. Falsehood leads to Al-Fajur(i.e. wickedness, evil-doing), and Al-Fajur(wickedness) leads to the (Hell) fire, and a man may keep on telling lies till he is written before Allah, a liar.” Narrated by Wathila bin Al-Asqa, Allah’s Apostle(PBUH) said, “Verily one of the worst of lies is to claim falsely to be the son of someone other than one’s real father, or to claim to have had a dream one has not had, or to attribute to me what I have not said.”

Abu Bakra(Radhiyallaahu Anhu) narrates that Allah’s Apostle said thrice, “Shall I not inform you of the biggest of the great sins?” We said, “Yes, O Allah’s Apostle.” He said, “To join partners in worship with Allah; to be undutiful to one’s parents.” The Prophet(PBUH) sat up after He had been reclining and added, “And I warn you against giving a false statement and a false witness; I warn you against giving a forged statement and a false witness.” The Prophet(PBUH) kept on saying that warning till we thought that he would never stop.
                ----------------------------------------------------

also- remind your family that Rizq is SOLELY & ONLY in the control of Allah ta'ala
                and how can any income derived from speaking lies ever be totally halaal & full of barakah?

and Allah ta'ala knows best
                jazakallah
                Sufyaan Thawri "Whoever is very popular with his relations and neighbours, we suspect him to be compromising in preaching the true teachings of religion."
                very good site for English bayaans in MP3 format-check it out- u wont be disappointed: http://www.musjidnoor.za.net/index.html & http://alhaadi.org.za/majlis-program...downloads.html

Comment

Salam brother, the most important thing is that you respect your parents. Don't forget that it doesn't matter what you say, it's how you say it. And btw, tell them that it is against your religion if they dont know already. If they do, just remind them politely.

Comment

:wswrwb:

Do not lie. The Prophet(saw) said a liar cannot be a Muslim, it is a very serious issue. If you are caught you might also be imprisoned or sued.

My mother is of the same opinion, which is why I stopped discussing job apps with her. I've been rejected for jobs countless times because I told the truth on my resumé, and my mom blows up at me and says you'll never make a living if you don't lie. I told her multiple times if I can't get a job honestly then I don't want it, and she chews me out for it so I just don't mention to her when I'm going on an interview. When shes asks I tell her openly that she drives me crazy encouraging me to lie and I won't, then I leave.

If they are hassling you, I would suggest you just avoid the subject completely. If they ask why, tell them it's because they encourage you to lie and go off on you if you don't, and you don't feel like dealing with the drama, it's making you miserable. Guilt them.

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
                      :wswrwb:

Do not lie. The Prophet(saw) said a liar cannot be a Muslim, it is a very serious issue. If you are caught you might also be imprisoned or sued.

My mother is of the same opinion, which is why I stopped discussing job apps with her. I've been rejected for jobs countless times because I told the truth on my resumé, and my mom blows up at me and says you'll never make a living if you don't lie. I told her multiple times if I can't get a job honestly then I don't want it, and she chews me out for it so I just don't mention to her when I'm going on an interview. When shes asks I tell her openly that she drives me crazy encouraging me to lie and I won't, then I leave.

If they are hassling you, I would suggest you just avoid the subject completely. If they ask why, tell them it's because they encourage you to lie and go off on you if you don't, and you don't feel like dealing with the drama, it's making you miserable. Guilt them.
                      Thank you (and the others as well). It can be very frustrating to deal with! I'll avoid the subject matter, if they ask, I'll tell them the process is going fine and I'm applying to the jobs that I can. And if that doesn't work, then guilting will do.

Comment

Working...
                      X