Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salah at work

Salam,

When do you tell a potential employer that you'll need a place to pray 2-3 times per day at the workplace? I.e. at the first interview, 2nd, when you've got an offer?
    It may sound like a silly question, but how do you tell them?
    Do they make a big deal out of it?
    Any other advice?

Jazakhallah kheyr,
    "Hide your good deeds (from the people) just like you hide your evil deeds."

Re: Salah at work

-Walekumassalam

-Well, I didn't have an interview at the place I used to work at but I did tell my employers that I'll need to pray which didn't take long. I didn't make a big deal out of it I just told them about the obligations I have to fulfill as a Muslim. But if that don't work, other options could be praying during your bathroom & lunch break if it's possible. I would give more advice but I worked at the school I was going to so I was pretty close with everyone, hope this helps... wa iyyaka.
    Last edited by TheNamesMalik; 29-08-13, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Macbook View Post
      Salam,

When do you tell a potential employer that you'll need a place to pray 2-3 times per day at the workplace? I.e. at the first interview, 2nd, when you've got an offer?
      Any other advice?

Jazakhallah kheyr,
      After you get the job. If they don't comply like the brother said you can pray during your lunch break most of the time

Comment

Best to get it cleared up straight away. If it's gonna cause problems, better to find out straight away. Depending on which country you're in, banning staff from praying is against employment law anyway, as long as it isn't going to cause a disruption. Hmm.

As TheNamesMalik said, don't make a big deal out of it. When they do their "any questions?" bit, ask a few questions about whatever, then say something like, "Do you allow staff to take short prayer breaks? I'd be happy for the time i take to pray to come out of my lunch break" or something.

I tell you, my colleagues spend twice as much on their "toilet" breaks as it takes me to go to the fitting room and do my fardh salat.
        Islamic Prints
        ~~~Muslim Vegan~~~
        PALEO!

Enormity = wicked act. Enormousness = great size. The difference: you can haz. Learn it, love it.

Comment

Good luck with this, i cant imagine myself asking this in a non muslim country. im always afraid that they wont take me if i ask too many things but like others said its better to know where you stand immediately..And it really depends on the job, like if you are a primary teacher i understand they will have doubts about the teacher leaving the room twice a day but if you have an office job there wouldn't be any problem..
          anyways hope they will be fair with it

Comment

:salams,

First or second interview.
            Don't do it after they give you the job. It's kinda deceiving.
            Lay out your terms and if they hire you then alhamdulilah, if not then at least you can look for something else.
            Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Macbook View Post
              Salam,

Any other advice?

Jazakhallah kheyr,
              Wa Laikum Asalaam Wr Wb

In any interview a point comes where the employer OR HR Manager asks - do you have any question or would you like to know something?

That is the time when you should ask about Salaah at work.

May Allah make it easy for you and guide all of us towards the right path. Ameen

Comment

Thanks all for your replies.
                "Hide your good deeds (from the people) just like you hide your evil deeds."

Comment

Working...
                X