Epilepsy and Theme Parks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epilepsy and Theme Parks?

Hi I am planning to go to a theme park in a couple of days with the family. I suffer from photosensitive epilepsy(seizures caused by flashing lights) and was wondering whether anyone with the condition had experience of going on rides and whether they had an epileptic fit as a result? I have read different things on the internet so was wondering if i could get help here as I'm still not sure if I should go. Any other advice is much appreciated. Thanks

Re: Epilepsy and Theme Parks?

Hi, I don't have epilepsy but I do have photosensitivity (as well as about a hundred other health problems) so not sure what to suggest. Have you considered contacting an epilepsy forum or contacting the theme park in case they've had to consider such things for health and safety reasons? If i were determined to go to such a place in spite of the photosensitivity, I'd have to make sure I don't go on a ride with flashing lights (I'd ask staff before stepping on to it), and make sure it's not near trees etc otherwise moving at high speed past trees looks like flashing lights. Also one silly question... can you put a blindfold on to avoid the lights? I cover my eyes when my dad drives me past trees on a bright day to avoid the problem.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

id recommend you ask your doctor first before even going, to be safe. wouldn't want you to have a seizure on a rollercoaster, that would be so scary.

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
        Hi, I don't have epilepsy but I do have photosensitivity (as well as about a hundred other health problems) so not sure what to suggest. Have you considered contacting an epilepsy forum or contacting the theme park in case they've had to consider such things for health and safety reasons? If i were determined to go to such a place in spite of the photosensitivity, I'd have to make sure I don't go on a ride with flashing lights (I'd ask staff before stepping on to it), and make sure it's not near trees etc otherwise moving at high speed past trees looks like flashing lights. Also one silly question... can you put a blindfold on to avoid the lights? I cover my eyes when my dad drives me past trees on a bright day to avoid the problem.
        Hi I'm not so sure about the blindfold but I've been told that when you see flashing lights you should never close both eyes immediately. It's better to cover one eye with your hand as this sends different messages to your brain and so makes you less likely to experience a seizure/reaction

Comment

Wow thanks for letting me know. I already keep one eye permanently covered as its too sensitive to light. If I left it uncovered I'd start seeing things flashing past it and it wud hurt
          The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Working...
          X