Engineering or Medicine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineering or Medicine

Can someone give me like the pros and cons of each major? I live in America, btw.
    My service is to only the ummah.

Re: Engineering or Medicine

journalism :up:

doubt it will make brown parents proud though
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

:salams,

The one you'll enjoy the most and that you are most interested in.
      Neither are easy, so motivation is needed for each. And if you don't enjoy it you're not gonna be motivated.

Medicine generally takes longer I think
      Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit :wavey:

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post
        journalism :up:

doubt it will make brown parents proud though
        Journalism is mighty competitve! More so than engineering and medicine in my opinion. There are many doctors but only one Anderson Cooper. It's a tough field to break into especially for brown people. I started off as a journalism major but was put off by the competition.

As for the op, both fields require determination and hard work. Whatever's piques your interest the most. They are both unique fields within themselves, so you can't say one is better than the other.
        Allah gave us two ears and one mouth, so we can listen more and talk less.

Comment

:salams

Take whatever educational path that you would enjoy spending your life doing the most. Don't take a major to please others or to make a lot of money if it means you will be miserable each day you go to work.

Comment

Engineering if you want to have a life.

Comment

Really depends on what you like and find interesting, personally I want to get into automotive engineering - I'd just find that really interesting, the cons I suppose is there is a lot of maths especially in mechanical engineering so if your not good with numbers especially with calculus then be warned.
              If knowledge was a justification for taqwa then shaytan would be the most muttaqi - maulana Zahir Mahmood
              'More beloved to me than 23 years of lecturing' Sheikh Ahmed Ali
              Islamic etiquette for social media
              http://youtu.be/VVa7av9eKkY

Comment

Originally posted by Plumeria View Post
                Journalism is mighty competitve! More so than engineering and medicine in my opinion. There are many doctors but only one Anderson Cooper. It's a tough field to break into especially for brown people. I started off as a journalism major but was put off by the competition.

As for the op, both fields require determination and hard work. Whatever's piques your interest the most. They are both unique fields within themselves, so you can't say one is better than the other.
                \whas so difficult about journalism?

just go to areas like burma , swat and u got urself a name in a war zone.... thats how anderson cooper did it

Comment

Originally posted by AFGMAN View Post
                  Can someone give me like the pros and cons of each major? I live in America, btw.
                  Most people will tell you to choose whatever you like so "you can do it for the rest of your life"... Your teachers will say this, university adverts will say this, career advisers will say this, so it's no wonder most feel this way when choosing a career path.

I think differently. I feel that having to work for the rest of your life is not a wise use of your life. I feel that your life should be used for more important things. Which is why I feel you should choose whatever makes you the most money, so you can use that money to set something up for yourself which makes you money day and night when you're awake and asleep with little effort from you once it's setup, and yes such setups are possible, many many people are doing it, and many many people are currently setting up such setups for themselves, and many many people will continue to setup such setups for themselves in the future.

That way you can use your 9-5 for all the important things, like helping people, learning more about islam, travelling the world to help people around the world, setting up charities, the list is endless.

That's my personal view, the majority will not agree with this and that's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AFGMAN View Post
                    I think you should sit down and write the pros and cons of each one.

Also, don't do medicine for the money. You'll regret it. Money doesn't roll in like it used to,

brb lawsuits
                    brb malpractice insurance
                    brb high taxes

In America, you probably won't be a doctor until you are about 30ish. You can be an engineer by 22-23, a few more years if you want more education. Both are demanding, just do what you like brah.
                    Last edited by TurnItSideways; 18-08-13, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
                      Most people will tell you to choose whatever you like so "you can do it for the rest of your life"... Your teachers will say this, university adverts will say this, career advisers will say this, so it's no wonder most feel this way when choosing a career path.

I think differently. I feel that having to work for the rest of your life is not a wise use of your life. I feel that your life should be used for more important things. Which is why I feel you should choose whatever makes you the most money, so you can use that money to set something up for yourself which makes you money day and night when you're awake and asleep with little effort from you once it's setup, and yes such setups are possible, many many people are doing it, and many many people are currently setting up such setups for themselves, and many many people will continue to setup such setups for themselves in the future.

That way you can use your 9-5 for all the important things, like helping people, learning more about islam, travelling the world to help people around the world, setting up charities, the list is endless.

That's my personal view, the majority will not agree with this and that's fine.

If you go purely for money and then the study starts becoming harder than you expect, you are going to have a hard time. You'll end up being miserable having little to no motivation. And then you have that to look forward to when you enter the workforce. And that is IF you get a position working in the field you studied.
                      Cause nowadays a degree in whatever does not guarantee you a job in that field. So you just spent x amount of miserable years studying something then got no benefit out of it.
                      But if you go for something you enjoy you will be able to stay motivated throughout your study and whether you get a job in the field or not, you have a knowledge that you actually wanted and that is always useful
                      Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit :wavey:

Comment

Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
                        If you go purely for money and then the study starts becoming harder than you expect, you are going to have a hard time. You'll end up being miserable having little to no motivation. And then you have that to look forward to when you enter the workforce. And that is IF you get a position working in the field you studied. Cause nowadays a degree in whatever does not guarantee you a job in that field. So you just spent x amount of miserable years studying something then got no benefit out of it.But if you go for something you enjoy you will be able to stay motivated throughout your study and whether you get a job in the field or not, you have a knowledge that you actually wanted and that is always useful
                        I disagree with you fully. However, everyone is entitled to their own views. Personally, I found huge distress at the thought of working for the rest of my life, because what you like today, you may start hating after 5 to 10 years time, then you have another 35 years of it to go if you make it to retirement.

I found motivation in knowing that if I study something which will make money even if I don't like it, I can set something up for myself quicker which means I don't need to work 9-5 for the rest of my life.

That's what motivated me, others get motivated by thinking they will be able to work at something they like for the rest of their life.

Comment

Originally posted by noobz View Post
                          \whas so difficult about journalism?

just go to areas like burma , swat and u got urself a name in a war zone.... thats how anderson cooper did it
                          It isn't called the 'art of speaking' for nothing. Speaking eloquently and precisely is an art, same with writing. If you speak about a war torn topic in a monotonous and bland voice, people are going to find you uninteresting and boring. If you write like a first grader, you won't be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TurnItSideways View Post
                            I think you should sit down and write the pos and cons of each one.

Also, don't do medicine for the money. You'll regret it. Money doesn't roll in like it used to,

brb lawsuits
                            brb malpractice insurance
                            brb high taxes

In America, you probably won't be a doctor until you are about 30ish. You can be an engineer by 22-23, a few more years if you want more education. Both are demanding, just do what you like brah.
                            True that about the money not being in medicine like it once was. That is unless you specialize and then further sub specliaize in a field. Then you can rake in some cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumeria View Post
                              True that about the money not being in medicine like it once was. That is unless you specialize and then further sub specliaize in a field. Then you can rake in some cash.
                              Lol and then you're near 35 when you have a steady job hahaha. OP, all the doctors I ever spoke to told me that you should only do medicine if it is the ONLY thing you could ever see yourself doing for the rest of your life. They said that if you can see yourself doing anything else, then to pick that other option, because medicine is probably the most grueling professional field out there, unless you are 100% committed, you will fail.

Comment

Working...
                              X