Questioning Islamic Lifestyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questioning Islamic Lifestyle

Salam, I recently reverted to Islam about a month ago and I am having mixed feelings. Now, I am back home and I am praying like I should 5 times a day and I am doing it through the means of a YouTube video because I havent memorized the prayers yet. I've been doing this for a few days now, I am scared because I feel like i'm begging when I pray and like a servant. I also feel restricted by the prayers, I don't feel like I get as much done during the day because I do not want to miss prayers. Wudu is also something new for me because I have to do it more often because I have pass gas. The positions that I am in when I pray are making me feel this way and the fact that I have to pray 5 times is as well. I dont feel like I am fulfilling my role as a husband either because just told my wife how I've been feeling about the Muslim religion. I agree with everything the religion stands for, I just still feel anxious and scared. I grew up as a catholic who did not know what he believed in and then converted to Christianity then recently reverted to Islam. Is this normal? I want to be a good son of god and husband.
    Last edited by PRAYINGhusband; 12-08-13, 01:24 AM.

Re: Questioning Islamic Lifestyle

Salaam Alaykum Wa Rahmatullah

First of all brother we are the servants of Allah . In fact we should say slaves of Allah because that is the most appropriate word for it.
    None of this son of god or children of god stuff.

Regarding ablution- even if you don't have to do it keep on practicing. Within a few days you will (in sha' Allah) get the hang of it.

Whereas regarding Salaah Alhamdulilah it is a good thing that you are already praying your 5. Soon enough you will also get the hang of it.

Abu Zar RadiyAllahu `anhu narrates that once the Prophet Sallallahu `alaihi wasallam came out of his house. It was autumn and the leaves were falling off the trees. He caught a branch of a tree and its leaves began to drop in large number. At this he remarked, 'O, Abu Zar! when a Muslim offers his salat to please Allah, his sins are shed away from him just as these leaves are falling off this tree. (Ahmad)

Abu Huraira RadiyAllahu `anhu narrates that once the Prophet Sallallahu `alaihi wasallam asked his companions, 'Do you think that dirt can remain on a person bathing 5 times a day in a brook running in front of his door?' 'No', replied the compan ions, 'No dirt can remain on his body.' The Prophet Sallallahu `alaihi wasallam remarked: 'So, exactly similar is the effect of salat offered 5 times a day. With the Grace of Allah, it washes away all the sins'.(Bukhari, Muslim)

Don't be too hard on yourself regarding having to repeat your wudhuu' (ablution).

Anyway we have to remember that sometimes we get thoughts like the acts of worshiping are restricting your life somehow.

That is obviously in the beginning, as you continue to do the acts of worship you will find peace in your life. And you will feel the blessings of following the commands of Allah .

There are supplications you say throughout the day. I will post a link and in sha' Allah you will benefit from them. Transliteration included.
    Take your time learning them.

http://www.hisnulmuslim.com/index-pa...7-lang-en.html

Just remember to repeat them.

I hope you have found an Imaam that can teach you some verses, and help you understand the meanings. As you learn more verses, and soon chapters you will look forward to pray and apply what you have learned.

May Allah guide you and us.
    Last edited by ceeri_sista; 12-08-13, 02:59 AM.

Comment

As Salaamu Alaikum Brother;

Congratulations on your reversion to Islam! May Allah SWT keep you on the straight path and make it easy for you. Ameen.

Originally posted by PRAYINGhusband View Post
      Salam, I recently reverted to Islam about a month ago and I am having mixed feelings. Now, I am back home and I am praying like I should 5 times a day and I am doing it through the means of a YouTube video because I havent memorized the prayers yet. I've been doing this for a few days now, I am scared because I feel like i'm begging when I pray and like a servant.
      How you feel is very good, it's actually not bad at all. We all strive to be the best servants to Allah SWT that we can. Feeling this in prayer is a good thing. Not bad.

I also feel restricted by the prayers, I don't feel like I get as much done during the day because I do not want to miss prayers.
      Insha Allah(God willing), once you get the hang of it, you will not have this problem. It becomes a normal part of your day, like eating. Many of us eat 3 times a day and sometimes include snacks as well. If you were only doing this once a day or week, 3-5 would seem like a lot and time consuming. But once you're used to it, it will become easier and normal to you and you won't be able to imagine your day without it.

Wudu is also something new for me because I have to do it more often because I have pass gas. The positions that I am in when I pray are making me feel this way and the fact that I have to pray 5 times is as well.
      I think this is normal. Once you get used to it, it will get easier. Try using the bathroom before you make wudu.

I dont feel like I am fulfilling my role as a husband either because just told my wife how I've been feeling about the Muslim religion. I agree with everything the religion stands for, I just still feel anxious and scared. I grew up as a catholic who did not know what he believed in and then converted to Christianity then recently reverted to Islam. Is this normal? I want to be a good son of god and husband.
      I would imagine it's a normal thing to be anxious and scared about something as important as your religion and your relationship with Allah SWT. Do you have a shaykh or Imam that you can talk with or learn from? Are there any masjids in your area? I think you would greatly benefit from being around an Imam and/or other brothers who can help you more and provide support for having experienced the same things.

Ceeri_sista gave a nice response and I'm hoping you'll get more responses as well insha Allah. But I would strongly advise you to seek out a masjid where you can find an Imam and community who you can learn and gain support from.

Comment

It's making you feel like you can't get much done during the day? This is just Shaytan messing. Wait a few months, it will help you organize your day better, everything in your life will be like a blessing because of your 5 daily prayers. It's like a rest break from the everyday life, trust me.

it takes maximum 5 minutes to pray after you've learn how to pray and do wudu. 24 hours in a day. We should at least set aside 30 minutes for prayer to the one god who created us, shouldn't we? that's 1/48th of our day...there is still 47/48 parts of your day left for you to do other things and fulfil your duty as a husband, isn't that easy?

Comment

Salam, I recently reverted to Islam about a month ago and I am having mixed feelings. Now, I am back home and I am praying like I should 5 times a day and I am doing it through the means of a YouTube video because I havent memorized the prayers yet. I've been doing this for a few days now, I am scared because I feel like i'm begging when I pray and like a servant. I also feel restricted by the prayers, I don't feel like I get as much done during the day because I do not want to miss prayers. Wudu is also something new for me because I have to do it more often because I have pass gas. The positions that I am in when I pray are making me feel this way and the fact that I have to pray 5 times is as well. I dont feel like I am fulfilling my role as a husband either because just told my wife how I've been feeling about the Muslim religion. I agree with everything the religion stands for, I just still feel anxious and scared. I grew up as a catholic who did not know what he believed in and then converted to Christianity then recently reverted to Islam. Is this normal? I want to be a good son of god and husband.
          :salams
          salam 'alaikum wa rahamtulahi wa barakatuhu

I was raised catholic as well then became agnostic, so prayers completely went out the window.
          When I first came to Islam it wasn't easy for me either. But keep staedfast with the prayers, inshallah He will make it easier for you.
          Now I can't even imagine missing a prayer.
          Passing gas is natural happens to all of us. You don't have to constantly have wudhu, just make it before you pray.
          Inshallah you'll be able to not pass gas while praying, prayers normally don't last longer than 10 mins. Inshallah you can hold it for that long, then after than it's all good, pas as much as need be.
          If that is a problem, I would recommend seeing a doctor or Imam who may be able to advise you
          Collection of Arabic Learning material and Islamic Books

Away for a bit

Comment

Originally posted by Yunus aua View Post
            :salams
            salam 'alaikum wa rahamtulahi wa barakatuhu

I was raised catholic as well then became agnostic, so prayers completely went out the window.
            When I first came to Islam it wasn't easy for me either. But keep staedfast with the prayers, inshallah He will make it easier for you.
            Now I can't even imagine missing a prayer.
            Passing gas is natural happens to all of us. You don't have to constantly have wudhu, just make it before you pray.
            Inshallah you'll be able to not pass gas while praying, prayers normally don't last longer than 10 mins. Inshallah you can hold it for that long, then after than it's all good, pas as much as need be.
            If that is a problem, I would recommend seeing a doctor or Imam who may be able to advise you
            Good advice,

particularly the Bit about passing as Much Gass as you want after Salaah ...

:rotfl:

:jkk:
            http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

Thank you for your comment, its good to hear someone else grew up as a catholic like I did and is a Muslim.
              Last edited by PRAYINGhusband; 12-08-13, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Last edited by PRAYINGhusband; 12-08-13, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Salam, yesterday I was feeling differently than I do today Alhamdulilah. I appreciate you all taking the time to write these comments. I am going to a Mosque close by today to talk to a Imman Inshallah or atleast to pray. I haven't been to a Mosque yet and its that connection that I am missing. I am grateful for this site because I was able to express how I felt with everyone and fellow brothers and sisters replied to my post. I am still new to Islam and I know that these feelings I am having are normal and will go away. He has a reason why he has the guidelines for us and as long as I do what i'm supposed to Inshallah I should end up in a good place.

I am really grateful for this website because if I am questioning something I can ask it here on a thread or look up the answers myself.

Comment

Salam, yesterday I was feeling differently than I do today Alhamdulilah. I appreciate you all taking the time to write these comments. I am going to a Mosque close by today to talk to a Imman Inshallah or atleast to pray. I haven't been to a Mosque yet and its that connection that I am missing. I am grateful for this site because I was able to express how I felt with everyone and fellow brothers and sisters replied to my post. I am still new to Islam and I know that these feelings I am having are normal and will go away. He has a reason why he has the guidelines for us and as long as I do what i'm supposed to Inshallah I should end up in a good place.

I am really grateful for this website because if I am questioning something I can ask it here on a thread or look up the answers myself.
                    Mashallah glad to hear we helped.

Yes, akhi(brother) go to the mosque, there is nothing like praying in the mosque. It might not always be easy to go, but it does wonders.
                    Befriend the people there and inshallah things will become even easier as you'll have more people encouraging you.
                    And the fact that you're a revert, once people hear that they will be more than welcoming

Away for a bit

Comment

Salam,

I am really happy to hear about your experience, it is nice to read something new and positive. Your feeling is natraul & to be honest many who have been muslim for decades (entire life) struggle with keeping up with prayers & keeping an islamic lifestyle. I would strongly suggest attending masjid as much as possible, atleast once a day. It is very easy to pray in masjid as you are following imam with few reading on your own. Master how to pray in masjid will make praying alone half the work, also brothers there can guide you.

Inshallah soon you it will be easy for you

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
                        Salam,

I am really happy to hear about your experience, it is nice to read something new and positive. Your feeling is natraul & to be honest many who have been muslim for decades (entire life) struggle with keeping up with prayers & keeping an islamic lifestyle. I would strongly suggest attending masjid as much as possible, atleast once a day. It is very easy to pray in masjid as you are following imam with few reading on your own. Master how to pray in masjid will make praying alone half the work, also brothers there can guide you.

Inshallah soon you it will be easy for you
                        Yeah it is good to set a minimum amount of visits to the masjid (mosque). It will slowly build up the habit and become much easier.
                        Inshalah before you know it , you'll be there 5 times a day and miss the time you're not there

Away for a bit

Comment

Working...
                        X