Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New revert coming out? Help?

As Salaam Alaykum

Hey everyone im a 17 year old girl who suffers with a few mental health issues. Roughly 2 years ago i was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and gradually started to lose my friends as i wanted to be alone. During those years alone i spent a lot of time educating myself , reading and researching about Islam. Last year i took my shahada at home in my bedroom but i wasnt sure if i done it right. I do want to be muslim as i truly believe it is the truth but the problem is i carried on my old ways and went back to sinning. i recently prayed for forgiveness and said my shahada again properly alone on my own to give myself some more faith and hopefully do better. But the thing is my family are christians , i raised the topic with my mum last year what i thought about Islam and she wasnt too happy. I dont know what to do or when to tell her. i was going to wait until im 18 in a few months because then i am an adult and can make my own decisions but i know Allah can take my life any time before then. Do you think i should wait or tell her now? i know she will think its because of my mental health problems but honestly since Islam has been in my life it has got better. please help?

thanks

Originally posted by Anon95:5293317
    As Salaam Alaykum

Hey everyone im a 17 year old girl who suffers with a few mental health issues. Roughly 2 years ago i was diagnosed with depression and anxiety and gradually started to lose my friends as i wanted to be alone. During those years alone i spent a lot of time educating myself , reading and researching about Islam. Last year i took my shahada at home in my bedroom but i wasnt sure if i done it right. I do want to be muslim as i truly believe it is the truth but the problem is i carried on my old ways and went back to sinning. i recently prayed for forgiveness and said my shahada again properly alone on my own to give myself some more faith and hopefully do better. But the thing is my family are christians , i raised the topic with my mum last year what i thought about Islam and she wasnt too happy. I dont know what to do or when to tell her. i was going to wait until im 18 in a few months because then i am an adult and can make my own decisions but i know Allah can take my life any time before then. Do you think i should wait or tell her now? i know she will think its because of my mental health problems but honestly since Islam has been in my life it has got better. please help?

thanks
    Asalamalaikum sis,

I can understand what you are growing through . I have been a revert for almost two years. I m not sure about saying the shahadah in the room is correct as I dont have knowledge of this. I guess someone here could spread some light on this matter.

Also, do you have a masjid near by? You can speak to an iman and explain your situation.

If you want to talk then i wouldn't mind supporting you because I know what its like so feel free to message me :)

Also from MY personal experience, I think you should be the best person you can with your family and show them what a positive effect that Islam is having on you. Pray and pray and keep making duas to Allah.

With the anxiety and depression are you receiving any kind of treatment? I have family members with both and I advised them to get counselling/therapy. But If you are then that is good. I know its really not an easy journey but put your trust in Allah.

Also, Just remember that Allah is always watching over you and you can talk everything as He always listens even before you say it.

I hope that helped ..
    :inlove:

Comment

Re: New revert coming out? Help?

Sister, first of all don't think of yourself as a mental patient. Alot of ppl go through depressing have anxiety issues. If you are struggling with these issues then best thing is to make good friends, go to a masjid and try to meet other muslim sisters. Don't isolate yourself.

As for telling your family about your reversion, i think first you need to go to a masjid and revert in front of witnesses, doing it alone without telling anyone else is not enough. As muslims once we die we have the right to be barried as muslims. So i suggest first your revert properly, increase your imaan and then tell your family. They don't need to know right away, tell them when the time is right. I mean your faith is the most important thing, and as you said you can die any time so it is important to accept islam properly and learn more about it. Telling your family is more of a strategic issue.

May Allah make your affairs easy for you.
      Please pray for my health. Jazak Allah

I found the enemy and it is me.

Comment

Re: New revert coming out? Help?

Assalaamu alaykum sister,

There are two angles to consider here:

1. your own safety and the safety of your deen
        2. your lack of opportunity to call others to Allaah, including your parents

Regarding the first, generally it is better to come out opening and be a Muslim, as this way it will enable you to get help from the local muslim community, be regarded as a Muslim by others and help in the practice of our deen. However if your life or health would be serious danger, or they may do something foolish like lock you in the house to prevent you going out to learn about Islam then it is sometimes a good idea to keep things quiet.

Also, given your age they might kick you out of the house, I've known reverts with what seem the most mild parents do this, and visa versa those with the harshest parents not do this. So that is also a possible danger given your age so if you did tell them make sure you have somewhere to go just in case they throw you out.

Now regarding the 2nd, how can you tell your family about this beauitful deen if they do know you are Muslim?
        Keeping it secret, if there is no issues of danger to you, or your religion is something a little selfish. you are making your life easier at the risk of them dying before you get the chance to tell them the truth of about Islam.

Hope this helps you make the correct decision, if you are in the uk you can contact Solace which are a charity helping new Muslim sisters.
        FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
        X