No announcement yet.

Why feminism doesn't work with Muslims or Islam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why is feminism seen as a 'fitna' or with negativity on the ummah forum?

So say if I'm against things such as domestic violence and rape and I feel strongly about it, because I'm a woman and I think I could be affected by these things one day, which makes me feel passionate about the issue (whereas a man wouldn't feel so passionate because he's significantly less likely to be raped or beaten by his wife)

does this make me a feminist? Or just a Muslim, as these things are haram in Islam anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by |Sister| View Post
      This is untrue, as many feminists are still beaten and killed by their abusive men. Kafiras in western countries get killed and abused as much and sometimes more often than Muslimahs do, and feminism isn't helping stem that. In fact, abuse has grown in the US in the past 5 years. Fighting for the rights that Allah has given us is not "feminism", it is Islaam. And there is a specific time and place for it as well, you don't walk into a lecture about food or tennis shoes and start screaming "womens rights!!".

The Noble Qur'an - al-Baqarah 2:219

They ask you (O Muhammad ) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: "In them is a great sin, and some benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit.
      How can you deny that feminism has played a role in improving domestic safety for women? In the uk, shelters for women would not have been created had it not been for feminists pushing for the rights of women. So discount it all you want, but there are many women both Muslim and non Muslim benefitting from them.

I do wish we lived in a world where feminism wasn't required and Muslims treated women as they ought to, but unfortunately that just isn't the case.
      "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too" Essay on Tolerance, Voltaire

Comment

Islam clashes with Western feminist ideals on the simple fact they want to erase gender roles completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainyday View Post
          So say if I'm against things such as domestic violence and rape and I feel strongly about it, because I'm a woman and I think I could be affected by these things one day, which makes me feel passionate about the issue (whereas a man wouldn't feel so passionate because he's significantly less likely to be raped or beaten by his wife)

does this make me a feminist? Or just a Muslim, as these things are haram in Islam anyways?
          Some brothers would have you believe so but don't listen to them, I wouldn't call that feminism just standing up against injustice.
          :sub: wabihamdihi:sub:hiladheem

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
            You don't mind your rights being taken away, you'd rather be oppressed than that...whatever
            I don't understand where all this anger is coming from, you live in the UK, your not in NWFP in Pakistan where some local Pashtun tribe has decided to
            stop you from visting the local Bazaar for a month (which is usually full of sweaty hairy "men" anyway).

Did some brothers push in front of you at the Chicken and Chip shop or something ?
            Did somebody oppress you by telling you that you can't get a education ?
            Has someone threatened you ?

Im serious, if you have had a personal experience and you feel someone trampled your rights as a Muslimah then
            tell us or start a thread on that, and you will see how the very same brothers who are frowning at the idea of "feminism"
            will not only take your side, they will fight for a Muslim women and even die for the honor of a Muslim women.

Do no underestimate the love, the izzah and protectiveness we have for our sisters -
            "And remind, for indeed, the reminder benefits the believers"(51:55)

The Snake and Malik ibn Dinar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOfrNtDw5Yc

Comment

I would consider you just a normal Muslim, as I consider myself and others with these (very normal) opinions. I consider attaching any label to oneself other than "Muslim" shows a lack of faith in Islaam and it's rulings

Originally posted by leela View Post
              How can you deny that feminism has played a role in improving domestic safety for women? In the uk, shelters for women would not have been created had it not been for feminists pushing for the rights of women. So discount it all you want, but there are many women both Muslim and non Muslim benefitting from them.

I do wish we lived in a world where feminism wasn't required and Muslims treated women as they ought to, but unfortunately that just isn't the case.
              Feminism has played a role in forcing women to work against their will, constantly trying to compete with men, removing them from the safety of their homes, separating women from religion, making stay-at-home mothers and religious women outcasts, making uneducated non-working women outcasts, and belittling men at every chance possible.

Starting a women's abuse shelter is not "feminism", it is society's obligation to take care of the oppressed. Just like having a men's-only section in a shelter, washroom or gym is not masculinism, having women-only services is not "feminism" and would exist with or without this movement--because it is our natural tendency to separate. Feminism fights for the deletion of these separators, they have even started campaigning for neutral-gender washrooms in universities and restaurants and mixed-gender bunks for the military. Modern society does not need feminism, it needs Islaam. Until Islaam is implemented, feminism will continue on their extremism course, denying men their rights, uplifting double standards, and trying to abolish gender roles in society.

Comment

I would consider you just a normal Muslim, as I consider myself and others with these (very normal) opinions. I consider attaching any label to oneself other than "Muslim" shows a lack of faith in Islaam and it's rulings

Feminism has played a role in forcing women to work against their will, constantly trying to compete with men, removing them from the safety of their homes, separating women from religion, making stay-at-home mothers and religious women outcasts, making uneducated non-working women outcasts, and belittling men at every chance possible.

Starting a women's abuse shelter is not "feminism", it is society's obligation to take care of the oppressed. Just like having a men's-only section in a shelter, washroom or gym is not masculinism, having women-only services is not "feminism" and would exist with or without this movement--because it is our natural tendency to separate. Feminism fights for the deletion of these separators, they have even started campaigning for neutral-gender washrooms in universities and restaurants and mixed-gender bunks for the military. Modern society does not need feminism, it needs Islaam. Until Islaam is implemented, feminism will continue on their extremism course, denying men their rights, uplifting double standards, and trying to abolish gender roles in society.
                Right as always sister, how many women are forced to work even did they have no desire just coz women should not sit at home idle according to some people

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
                  the movements main goal is basically social justice for women...so...
                  The best justice any system/law can offer is only in Islam .

And if a Muslim feels Islamic solutions are not good enough to tackle injustice against Women then they are questioning Allah's wisdom and commands .
                  Where there are no Ulemah(Scholars) there are many Muftis.

I
                  deal System of Living for All Mankind .

Comment

Well, you believe as you feel, but discrediting a whole movement and all their benefits because you don't agree with some of their ideology is unhelpful to the many people who have benefitted.

And while I agree it's an obligation to protect women by creating shelters, there's no denying it took at least a little push from feminism to get the ball rolling on that one.
                    "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too" Essay on Tolerance, Voltaire

Comment

As a father of two girls, I say I'm more passionate about these issues than you. What would you say to that?

Comment

Originally posted by starlight89 View Post
                        Right as always sister, how many women are forced to work even did they have no desire just coz women should not sit at home idle according to some people
                        I would be on the top of that list. My family is a prime example of western feminism. My male relatives do not work and consider it a woman's duty to work once they hit 18, whether married or not. If I point out how lazy they are, the first thing they say is "you wanted to be equal with men, so now you are".

The only families I know that do not consider it required for women to take on men's roles in society are my latino friends' families. They still have held onto the value that a man is the provider and the women should be protected.

Comment

Originally posted by leela View Post
                          Well, you believe as you feel, but discrediting a whole movement and all their benefits because you don't agree with some of their ideology is unhelpful to the many people who have benefitted.

And while I agree it's an obligation to protect women by creating shelters, there's no denying it took at least a little push from feminism to get the ball rolling on that one.
                          I disagree with anything that goes against Islaam, period. Brother Abdul-Carim said it best:
                          Originally posted by Abdul-Curim View Post
                          The best justice any system/law can offer is only in Islam .

And if a Muslim feels Islamic solutions are not good enough to tackle injustice against Women then they are questioning Allah's wisdom and commands .

Comment

People cannot agree what exactly is social justice for women.

That is the problem with feminism.

We, as Muslims, believe in social justice for women within an Islamic framework. Allah has defined what is considered social justice for women.

Most feminists, especially the non-Muslim ones, will have different opinions on what is justice. There are many feminist campaigns which do not contradict Islam such as campaigns to stop domestic violence and to end the objectification of women in the media. But we can use Islam to fight these things too?

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                              As a father of two girls, I say I'm more passionate about these issues than you. What would you say to that?
                              I'd say your a feminist...........

Nah, I'd say your a very caring father. I didn't mean it as men didn't care or in a bad way towards men, so sorry if I came across that way and if I offended.

Comment

ns. I consider attaching any label to oneself other than "Muslim" shows a lack of faith in Islaam and it's rulings
                                I don't have any lack in faith in Islam's rulings, I just don't understand why people are so angry against feminism. I'd rather that we'd enforce the proper rights of shariah.
                                وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                X