Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

    I have recently gotten a membership at a gym close to my home. Me and my friend started going to this gym three weeks ago and literally every time I enter this place, I feel everyone staring at me. I would like to believe that it is because they have never seen a girl wearing a hijab dressed the way I am at a gym (I don't wear the workout clothes, they show a lot more than needed). But last week one of the trainers, kept asking me if I was ok... even after I told her I was fine; never asked my hijab-less friend mind you, but just me. And then a few days ago this old guy asked if I would be sweating in "that" referring to my clothes and my hijab.....isn't sweating something that usually happens at a gym anyway?
    In my everyday life, I am able to take questions from people in different environments, but when it comes to the gym, I just feel so out of place I'm the only female there with the hijab. It's to the point now where I don't feel comfortable unless I bring a friend with me. How do you guys deal with this?
    Last edited by ksaid037; 02-07-13, 08:42 AM.

  • #2
    Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

    Originally posted by ksaid037 View Post
    I have recently gotten a membership at a gym close to my home. Me and my friend started going to this gym three weeks ago and literally every time I enter this place, I feel everyone staring at me. I would like to believe that it is because they have never seen a girl wearing a hijab dressed the way I am at a gym (I don't wear the workout clothes, they show a lot more than needed). But last week one of the trainers, kept asking me if I was ok... even after I told her I was fine; never asked my hijab-less friend mind you, but just me. And then a few days ago this old guy asked if I would be sweating in "that" referring to my clothes and my hijab.....isn't sweating something that usually happens at a gym regardless?
    In my everyday life, I am able to take questions from people in different environments, but when it comes to the gym, I just feel so out of place I'm the only female there with the hijab. It's to the point now where I don't feel comfortable unless I bring a friend with me. How do you guys deal with this?
    Join an all female gym- wear what u want then :)

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

      Originally posted by TaraO1 View Post
      Join an all female gym- wear what u want then :)
      I would love to but, the closest female gym is like 40 minutes away from my house...

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

        Originally posted by ksaid037 View Post
        I have recently gotten a membership at a gym close to my home. Me and my friend started going to this gym three weeks ago and literally every time I enter this place, I feel everyone staring at me. I would like to believe that it is because they have never seen a girl wearing a hijab dressed the way I am at a gym (I don't wear the workout clothes, they show a lot more than needed). But last week one of the trainers, kept asking me if I was ok... even after I told her I was fine; never asked my hijab-less friend mind you, but just me. And then a few days ago this old guy asked if I would be sweating in "that" referring to my clothes and my hijab.....isn't sweating something that usually happens at a gym regardless?
        In my everyday life, I am able to take questions from people in different environments, but when it comes to the gym, I just feel so out of place I'm the only female there with the hijab. It's to the point now where I don't feel comfortable unless I bring a friend with me. How do you guys deal with this?
        I never felt comfortable at the gym, even years ago when I wasn't Muslim. People in there are always looking at each other, watching people run and whatnot. I found it very uncomfortable. These days, I just work out at home. You can get your cardio and strength training without going to the gym. That's my suggestion, is just do it at home. There are many videos online that can help you. If you need specific workout advice, I can try to help. I'm not an expert or anything, but I know enough to get by.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

          Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
          I never felt comfortable at the gym, even years ago when I wasn't Muslim. People in there are always looking at each other, watching people run and whatnot. I found it very uncomfortable. These days, I just work out at home. You can get your cardio and strength training without going to the gym. That's my suggestion, is just do it at home. There are many videos online that can help you. If you need specific workout advice, I can try to help. I'm not an expert or anything, but I know enough to get by.
          I have thought about that, working out at home definitely has its benefits, but I personally find the machines there more useful. If I can find exercises to do at home just as effective as the ones at the gym..I would cancel my membership altogether
          Last edited by ksaid037; 02-07-13, 03:50 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

            Originally posted by ksaid037 View Post
            I have thought about that, working out at home definitely has its benefits, but I personally find the machines there more useful. If I can find exercises to do at home just as effective as the ones at the gym..I would cancel my membership altogether
            I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. I get my cardio through dancing. For strength, I have resistance bands, and I will use any type of weight. Pilates is also good. I have just ankle weights and then I have only 2 free weights, 40 pounds. All other weight I use is just books or whatever I have around the house that is heavy. You can put books in a backpack or bag or anything and get a similar effect. It sounds kind of crazy, but that's all I use. I'm in the best shape of my life right now just with that. But I know some people do like the group environment of the gym for motivation reasons and the equipment. Spark People has some good workout videos, recipes and such. Hope that helps :)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

              Originally posted by ksaid037 View Post
              I have recently gotten a membership at a gym close to my home. Me and my friend started going to this gym three weeks ago and literally every time I enter this place, I feel everyone staring at me. I would like to believe that it is because they have never seen a girl wearing a hijab dressed the way I am at a gym (I don't wear the workout clothes, they show a lot more than needed). But last week one of the trainers, kept asking me if I was ok... even after I told her I was fine; never asked my hijab-less friend mind you, but just me. And then a few days ago this old guy asked if I would be sweating in "that" referring to my clothes and my hijab.....isn't sweating something that usually happens at a gym regardless?
              In my everyday life, I am able to take questions from people in different environments, but when it comes to the gym, I just feel so out of place I'm the only female there with the hijab. It's to the point now where I don't feel comfortable unless I bring a friend with me. How do you guys deal with this?
              As a Muslim who cares about all his sisters in Islam, I have to speak clearly on the issue.

              Keeping fit and healthy is important for all of us. At the same time, though, we must be aware of Islam in all aspects of what we do.

              Part of this is knowing the rules related to the interaction between men and women, because we do it for our akhira, and also whatever Allah commands is for our own good.

              It is not permissible in Islam to attend a mixed gym, nor can a sister specifically do the types of exercises most gyms do where her body moves in ways that violates tabarruj.

              My suggestion would be that if an all female gym does not seem accessible, then to buy an elliptical machine for the home on the used market (if money is an issue), or just to regular workouts at home (pushups, stiups, jump rope, etc).

              May Allah make it easy for all muslims ameen!
              If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

              Humililty, Sincerity, and the quest for Truth. There is no purpose in life but to seek the pleasure of Allah.
              There is a possibility a female might use this account to read something!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

                Has anyone else noticed that female only gyms dont have good equipment? Anyways nowadays I am just using my treadmill at home and some light weights but lol I find it difficult to exercise for more than half an hour, it's very boring.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

                  Originally posted by al-siddiq View Post
                  It is not permissible in Islam to attend a mixed gym, nor can a sister specifically do the types of exercises most gyms do where her body moves in ways that violates tabarruj.
                  With all due respect...I don't know any of the guys there, therefore I have no reason to talk to them. Besides I dont go to the gym to socialize, I go there to work out as do most other people. I do light exercises while there, nothing that requires crazy movements so I'm sure im not violating any rules.
                  Last edited by ksaid037; 02-07-13, 09:03 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

                    I used to join mixed gym but I was actually fed up knowing that there were many gays in the gym. It was almost explicitly shown. So now, I join female only aerobic class and I swim at female only swimming pool. That is enough to keep me fit. No need weight-lifting or cardio. Exercise at home does not work for me as I am going to end up watching TV or eating, and not exercising.
                    Last edited by veetha; 02-07-13, 08:48 AM.
                    So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny? (55:16)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

                      I go to the gym like a boss, if they look at you ,they wanna be like u

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

                        Originally posted by cooldog View Post
                        I go to the gym like a boss, if they look at you ,they wanna be like u
                        You mean those guys wanna wear hijab too? *imagining muscular guys with hijab
                        Last edited by veetha; 02-07-13, 10:03 AM.
                        So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny? (55:16)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

                          Originally posted by ksaid037 View Post
                          I would love to but, the closest female gym is like 40 minutes away from my house...
                          That is nothing

                          Just go to that one, seriously

                          Eeeuuuugh who wants to work out in front of men anyway

                          __________________________________________________ _____________________________



                          please donate to the Ummah forum sadaqa jariya project. Click on the link for for more information, and to make a donation- https://www.justgiving.com/sadaqah-jariyah-project/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

                            Originally posted by cooldog View Post
                            I go to the gym like a boss, if they look at you ,they wanna be like u
                            u mean u go to the gym in a chaddi? :O



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: *sisters*.....Feeling uncomfortable at the Gym

                              Originally posted by veetha View Post
                              You mean those guys wanna wear hijab too? *imagining muscular guys with hijab
                              muscular guys have so much ego , its like they're lifting their egos rather than working out ..



                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X