Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aritcle about black Revert sisters

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Aritcle about black Revert sisters

    Originally posted by FutureImam View Post
    I've seen racism in my family. especially on my moms side.
    Same my dad's family hates Arabs and Indians.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Aritcle about black Revert sisters

      Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
      It's a vast topic. Majority of my friends are African-American sisters. From what I have seen and what I hear from their experiences, much of their difficulties come from within the African-American communities themselves, and even those communities vary from region to region. I know in Southern US, the African-American communities are different from, say, out West. I had never heard women commenting on things like "color struck" and "light skinned" until I moved to the South. It's just language I never encountered in Los Angeles. Maybe it's that way in different places. I really don't know.

      Anyway, it is a vast topic. I'm not African-American myself, so I don't know individually what is going on. I only know the experience of my friends. It's been some time since we've lived near each other. If I remember more details, I will come back and add them. As of now, that's what comes to mind.

      Oh, and I just want to add again (I've said this elsewhere on the site) that there is no such thing as light skinned, white, or whatever women having an easy time getting married. There are many of us who are converts and such and are not married, can't find a match. Also, most of the African-American women I know prefer to marry African or African-American men, so, again, I'm not sure how much rejection is going on outside of the community. Even so, white converts get rejected, too. Everybody gets rejected at some point it seems. I don't really know if there is a definitive answer to all of this.
      I don't understand why people here are so willing to believe that Muslims aren't prejudiced racially. First of all, a lot have come from jahiliyah background/culture that doesn't allow interracial marriage, and also the whole thing about being fairskinned and using skin bleaches, is an obsession with muslim communties in asia, africa and the middle east. So if they do marry out of the culture, black prospects for marriage are viewed warily as their is a problem with there children not being fair (which seems to be a ridiculous priority).

      I'm a somali sister and I've noticed this when talking to my parents about marriage. They would accept me marrying a white/arab muslim but not anyone black, how pathetic! It's about status, prejudice and skin color.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Aritcle about black Revert sisters

        Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
        I'm a somali sister and I've noticed this when talking to my parents about marriage. They would accept me marrying a white/arab muslim but not anyone black, how pathetic! It's about status, prejudice and skin color.
        Your right, my mom told me she wants me to marry a somali so that my kids could have long hair, light skin and "cute" features, as if that's all that matters in life.
        Last edited by ksaid037; 01-07-13, 05:14 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Aritcle about black Revert sisters

          ...
          Last edited by Younus1; 01-07-13, 06:01 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Aritcle about black Revert sisters

            Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
            I don't understand why people here are so willing to believe that Muslims aren't prejudiced racially. First of all, a lot have come from jahiliyah background/culture that doesn't allow interracial marriage, and also the whole thing about being fairskinned and using skin bleaches, is an obsession with muslim communties in asia, africa and the middle east. So if they do marry out of the culture, black prospects for marriage are viewed warily as their is a problem with there children not being fair (which seems to be a ridiculous priority).

            I'm a somali sister and I've noticed this when talking to my parents about marriage. They would accept me marrying a white/arab muslim but not anyone black, how pathetic! It's about status, prejudice and skin color.
            I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with my post. I don't doubt that there is racism out there. My point was that the sisters I know are encountering racism within the African-American community, too, so it's not only non-Africans that do this. But, when looking at your last paragraph, I see you also understand that. That is what was shocking to me. I had no idea about this until I moved to the South. I noticed that there was much more emphasis put on skin color. We also have these issues within the Hispanic community. I've never fit in because I look different than what their stereotypical Hispanic person is supposed to look like. They will allow you to hang around, but there is something off, like there is a lack of trust or something. It's odd.

            Originally posted by ksaid037 View Post
            Your right, my mom told me she wants me to marry a somali so that my kids could have long hair, light skin and "cute" features, as if that's all that matters in life.
            But y'all do have cute features :p

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Aritcle about black Revert sisters

              Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
              But y'all do have cute features :p
              Aww thanks

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Aritcle about black Revert sisters

                Originally posted by Sister_2009 View Post
                I'm not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing with my post. I don't doubt that there is racism out there. My point was that the sisters I know are encountering racism within the African-American community, too, so it's not only non-Africans that do this. But, when looking at your last paragraph, I see you also understand that. That is what was shocking to me. I had no idea about this until I moved to the South. I noticed that there was much more emphasis put on skin color. We also have these issues within the Hispanic community. I've never fit in because I look different than what their stereotypical Hispanic person is supposed to look like. They will allow you to hang around, but there is something off, like there is a lack of trust or something. It's odd.



                But y'all do have cute features :p
                :jkk:

                Comment

                Collapse

                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                Working...
                X