How do you deal with your emotions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you deal with your emotions?

I usually cry hard and talk to myself. I blame myself but I also make a justification for myself. Then I get tired of crying then I sleep. The next day everything gets better. But right now I rarely have such an emotional turmoil since I consistently pray tahajjud. It really helps me to control my emotion.
    So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny? (55:16)

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
      if you take two people, and get person one to think about upsetting stuff 8 hours a day, which most people do on a daily bases for some reason. then you get the second person to think about happy stuff 8 hours a day, guess which person will be depressed and which will be happy?
      Yes I understand that, what I was referring to previously was everyday scenarios eg. you're anxious about your exam results but know the exams went awfully as you didn't study for them...in such a case there's no point thinking positively and telling yourself that you'll pass because you'd just be lying to yourself to get rid of the anxiety...bit of a rubbish example but hope it makes sense.
      :sub: wabihamdihi:sub:hiladheem

Comment

Originally posted by Abdalla94' View Post
        I honestly don't know how (nor do I mostly want to). I get the impression it'll make me feel weak if I do. I've never been the type to be depressed and I get what you mean by a build up of emotions. I used to rage when I was lacking emaan and I was generally angry. Alhamdulillah it's better now and to be fair, I only suppress them from other individuals as I channel my emotions through Islam, sports etc. If I were to express myself to anyone it would be my wife (if I ever get married).
        Meh it's social conditioning that teaches guys it's not right to show emotions, prophet Muhammad(saw) was in touch with his emotions and he was the manliest of men.

Comment

I speak to my husband, my friends... I talk... Let it all out, even if some of them make no sense, as long as they are off my chest, dealing with them becomes a lot easier.

Do not think of minor sins as insignificant, for mountains are made out of pebbles.

Comment

Talk to someone wise. My mother or my husband.

Or I write it out as letters/duas to Allah.
            https://sufisticated101.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Islam.07 View Post
              I speak to my husband,
              :)

It's just emotions takin' me overCaught up in sorrow, lost in the soul
              Last edited by Fairy; 28-06-13, 10:44 PM.
              My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
              ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
              “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Comment

Have you ever noticed that when someone is unhappy, and no matter what you say to them they remain unhappy? Then all of a sudden someone does something silly like walk into the wall, and the unhappy person is all of a sudden in stitches laughing? Or something along those lines, i.e. a person is unhappy, something happens and they are laughing?

If not, then let me tell you that it happens all the time.

As people here agree that "thoughts" are our free will, you should check one of my other posts about free will where I am asking the question. In that thread, people seem to be telling me that the only free will we have is what we think.

So, if you unhappy, that simply means that you're thinking about something unhappy. The example I gave above about another walking into the wall, which sometimes makes the unhappy person laugh, simply says that if you're unhappy, think of something happy or funny.

In other words, you are what you think.

So, if you're always thinking about what you don;t have, what others do have, what you can;t do what others can do, what others have done to you, what others didn't do to you, you will be unhappy. Instead, why not be greatful to Allah for everything you have, for the health you have, for the education you have, for the friends you have, for the family you have, for the ability to think, for the ability to learn, for your ability to help others, the list is endless.

What I am saying is that it is possible to deal with your emotions as fast as the speed of light. You simply have to change what you're thinking about.

Also, if you're not thinking about anything, then you will be unhappy most of the time. Why you ask?

If you don't exercise, what happens? you get unwell
                If you don't eat, what happens? you get unwell?
                If you don't think positive, what happens? you get unhappy

The negative and bad happen naturally for some reason, the good happens with effort only. So you have to put effort into thinking about good stuff and doing shukr, but you don't have to put effort into thinking about rubbish and doing no shukr. However, with practice, it becomes effortless, just the way thinking about rubbish all the time becomes effortless with practice.
                that is really so true and interesting point you made.
                :inlove:

Comment

I just focus on breathing. I've found that if I can can control my breathing, I can keep your mind in check, so as to prevent being overwhelmed with anger, grief, excitement, etc. I sit in a quiet place with my legs crossed and simply focus on breathing in and out. It helps to visualize myself as somewhat of a balloon slowly letting out its air; that represents the anxiety/anger/whatever it is that's at the forefront of my thoughts. When you're upset, the slightest thing can make matters worse. What happens when we're overcome with anger or grief is that the throat swells up, giving the sensation of suffocation and we're often left gasping for air (both literally and figuratively).

It also helps a lot to make supplications to Allah whilst doing this. Control your breathing and you can control your emotions, like a dog-sledder being under control of all of his dogs moving forward. You're not running from your problem(s) by doing this excercise-- you're merely giving up the load that's on your back and handing it over to Allah, who is unlimited in His Strength. That's what submission to The Lord is all about-- reliance on Him.
                  Last edited by drac16; 29-06-13, 04:03 AM. Reason: added more for clarification
                  "Wert thou to follow the common run of those on earth, they will lead thee away from the way of Allah. They follow nothing but conjecture: they do nothing but lie." (surah 6:116)

Comment

i bully the little kids in my neighborhood and take their lunch money :O

Comment

I am quite emotional about Islamic threads.Sometimes i make some big mistakes for my weak language performance

Comment

Originally posted by rainbow*~ View Post
                        Yes I understand that, what I was referring to previously was everyday scenarios eg. you're anxious about your exam results but know the exams went awfully as you didn't study for them...in such a case there's no point thinking positively and telling yourself that you'll pass because you'd just be lying to yourself to get rid of the anxiety...bit of a rubbish example but hope it makes sense.
                        Ah, I see. In that case, you still be positive, if you fail, it's not the end of the world because exams are not that important anyway. Be positive that if you fail, you have a million other options, and you can chose any option you want, be positive that if you fail, you can try harder on your other options. No lying to yourself here at all. In your scenario, yes, you're right, if you didn't study for your examples, no point being positive about the results that way. But at the same time, there is absolutely no benefit in being upset about your results either. As what's done is done, you need to learn from your mistakes and make sure they don't happen again. Start thinking about your next option and start working hard on that right now and be positive about it. Don't waste your time being upset about possible bad exam results, being upset about it, will not make things better at all.

Lets imagine you get bad results, so what! As long as you learn from your failings, you can never fail. The fact that you have learned that not studying gives you bad results, you have succeeded! So you have a big thing to be happy about.

However, if you still pass, then what a waste of time and energy for being upset for absolutely no reason...
                        Last edited by oshirowanen; 29-06-13, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Ah, I see. In that case, you still be positive, if you fail, it's not the end of the world because exams are not that important anyway. Be positive that if you fail, you have a million other options, and you can chose any option you want, be positive that if you fail, you can try harder on your other options. No lying to yourself here at all. In your scenario, yes, you're right, if you didn't study for your examples, no point being positive about the results that way. But at the same time, there is absolutely no benefit in being upset about your results either. As what's done is done, you need to learn from your mistakes and make sure they don't happen again. Start thinking about your next option and start working hard on that right now and be positive about it. Don't waste your time being upset about possible bad exam results, being upset about it, will not make things better at all.

Lets imagine you get bad results, so what! As long as you learn from your failings, you can never fail. The fact that you have learned that not studying gives you bad results, you have succeeded! So you have a big thing to be happy about.

However, if you still pass, then what a waste of time and energy for being upset for absolutely no reason...
                          I like your thinking :up:

:jkk: for that elaboration.

Comment

Working...
                          X