Are you a hedonist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a hedonist?

How does Islam see hedonism? What is the definition of hedonism in Islam? Is spending less money for zakat, shadaqah, etc. called hedonism? On what level a muslim can be considered as a hedonist?
    So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny? (55:16)

Re: Are you a hedonist?

Hedonism means striving for pleasure right so I hope none of us are hedonistic

Comment

:wswrwb:

A Muslim isn't supposed to be hedonistic since hedonism is all about chasing selfish pleasures, a lot of the times in excess. Hedonists live for the dunya and do whatever they want.

Comment

Little bit of hedonistic is a good thing. Keeps us balanced & sane & prevents us from exhustion

Comment

Hedowho? Break it down simply for me Veetha, in relation to your statement regarding zakat etc too.

I searched google, 'pleasure minus pain', sounds a bit wimpish to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nawar View Post
            Hedowho? Break it down simply for me Veetha, in relation to your statement regarding zakat etc too.

I searched google, 'pleasure minus pain', sounds a bit wimpish to me.
            I mean this way, you have your income but you spend more money for buying clothes, for example, or traveling, or hanging out with friends. You spend very little for charity and other good cause. Is that called hedonist?
            So which of the favors of your Lord would you deny? (55:16)

Comment

Benthams theory, ah reminded me of school, according to wikipedias summary it's an argument that says pleasure is the only intrinsic good which isn't true coz we go to the doc who sticks a needle in us which is pain for a greater good.

So no and no coz we go through pain sometimes which on the onset isn't pleasure at all but is necessary for a greater good.

It's a flawed theory. Sometimes pain is necessary for growth

لا تفكر كثيرا
              بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
              The children need your prayers more than anyone else
              -------------------------------------------------------
              www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Comment

Hedonist are present focus. It doesn't necessary mean they dont hand out charity. It just means they dont give out charity with future gain in mind (i.e they are not driven by after life reward, those type of future thoughts don't cross there mind often), instead they give in charity because they care about the poor people & giving makes them feel good.

It is like a runner who runs because it feels good not because he/she wants to lose weight or train for marathon. In a way i am a present hedonist, I am driven more by my current feeling than future plans. I would give out charity & help others becaues i believe it is the right thing to do & will make me feel like a better person.

Comment

Shalom ~

I'll confess to spending a little more on a better cut of kosher meat and getting the less expensive Shabbat candles sometimes, but I don't think that qualifies me as a 'hedonist'.

Comment

Working...
                  X