Introducing yourself to yourself! Very very important lecture

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing yourself to yourself! Very very important lecture

SubhanAllah walhamdulilah I'm so glad I came across this. It's exactly what I've been meaning to share. Ustadh Ramiz Ibrahim, may Allah accept from him all his deeds and enter him and his family into the highest of Jannah with no hisaab or punishment ameeeen. Please have a listen to this. It's the self-development route and from a Muslim perspective. Very much worthy of taking the time out for those who want to know themselves. It's easy knowing other things but to understand yourself and develop yourself is a long and sometimes scary path. I implore you guys to take the time out. We did a course with him and he makes you think and get to know yourself. So much truth and it can enhance your life and self-awareness. He's helped us soooo much it's unbelievable.

لا تفكر كثيرا
    بل استغفر كثيرا

-------------------------------------------------------
    The children need your prayers more than anyone else
    www.inheritorsofquran.wordpress.com

Re: Introducing yourself to yourself! Very very important lecture

This sounds good. I wonder why I haven't heard of this brother before, but I like his stuff. Now if only there was a mp3 option I'd be good to go!
    مَّن ذَا الَّذِي يُقْرِضُ اللّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا فَيُضَاعِفَهُ لَهُ أَضْعَافًا كَثِيرَةً وَاللّهُ يَقْبِضُ وَيَبْسُطُ وَإِلَيْهِ تُرْجَعُونَ

"Who is he that will loan to Allah a beautiful loan, which Allah will double unto his credit and multiply many times?
    It is Allah that giveth (you) Want or plenty, and to Him shall be your return."
    Surah al-Baqarah
    [2:245]

.:.
    .:. Perfer et Obdura : Dolor Hic Tibi Proderit Olim .:.
    Be patient and strong : someday this pain will be useful to you

.:.
    ...said the spider to the fly...

Comment

Originally posted by Pippin1376 View Post
      This sounds good. I wonder why I haven't heard of this brother before, but I like his stuff. Now if only there was a mp3 option I'd be good to go!
      Silly me completely forgot about him. He's got some other stuff on YouTube too such as al walaa wa al baraa an the conditions of the shahadah an also about Ramadhan change which sound really beneficial. I'll post them up In Shaa Allah when I listen to them one at a time.

As for mp3, google 'YouTube to mp3 convertor' and you should find something there.

لا تفكر كثيرا
      بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Anger is pain, so the angry one is really hurt and they express violence so people back off and to protect themselves. Bit like when a gorilla beats it's chest.

Letting your guard down and showing vulnerability (to family, friends, spouses and NOT strangers!!) is good coz it lets them take the guard down as well. But from my observation you've got to feel safe to let your guard down and show vulnerability and the environment should be safe and trusting. Otherwise you'll be scared of being hurt.

An the ego is a big thing too. SubhanAllah sooo glad I found this alhamdulilah, I'll share some of my notes later In Shaa Allah from the course he did. Really beneficial.

The exercise he mentions is getting pen an paper (yes writing takes things out of the body and makes it tangible) an writing down 10 or so virtues of oneself, 10 or so vices an 10 or so thins you want to change. Those things that you'd like to change might not coincide with the things you dislike because Mr or Mrs Ego aint ready to change that. Also asking someone else to write the same thing about you will allow you to see what image you portray.
        Last edited by F_R; 03-05-13, 10:58 AM.

لا تفكر كثيرا
        بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Found this one on anger management

I've not listened to it but will just share for your benefit. There's another one too which sounds soo useful too.

This one is one "the power of problems"

لا تفكر كثيرا
          بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Introduce yourself to yourself ?!

Just make sure no-one's around when you do @)
            'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

From the anger management lecture above (it's only an hour long but it's repeated on the clip for some reason):

Some anger is good, we don't want to go to both extremes (always being anger an not having any anger) but we gotta channel it correctly

Btw anger is an emotion (emotion aint just love an hatred, we're all emotional beings) an its not about beating someone up or showing how physically strong you are by raging around the house and beating your chest like a gorilla does everyone around you is scared an fearful.

Showing your anger (by being aggressive whether verbal or physical) is because of an uncontrolled ego. Hence someone who controls their anger (which doesn't mean blocking everything inside btw) is able to control their nafs an ego

Remember what RasoolAllah :saw: said about the strong one not being the wrestler but the strong one is the one who can control his anger. It's so easy to lash out (trust me, we're all capable of doing some damage when we're angry, it's amongst the easiest things a person can do) but controlling that anger from the onset is where the true strength comes

Residual emotion- say for example a glass breaks, someone drops a mirror or a plate an it breaks, the reaction there (the crazy anger that's expressed, the madness that comes out of people during these sudden instances) are all residual emotion. It's an emotion from the past, during their childhood or something that hasn't had the opportunity to come out. Like an opportunity to express something from the past. The real issue isn't the glass breaking or the shelf falling because that's NOT something that should bring about such a reaction. There's a deeper issue behind it. Ask the angry one when they react like that what's wrong coz it surely aint the object breaking

Anger management is good - it's to recognise yourself before someone else does. For you and I to recognise that we've got an anger issue or not before someone else gets there first. We gotta look at ourselves and check what our reaction is to certain situations

You make yourself angry because you choose how to react- yes a glass broke, yes someone swore at you, but do they control your reaction? Are you a product of your environment just going with the flow of what people do? If everyone's happy are you gonna be happy? An when they're all sad are you gonna be sad? You an I choose how to react

Some self assessment questions which you should answer straight away (privately of course) an do it with a paper or something. Write down the first thing that comes to mind before your ego starts justifying it;

1- Why do I get angry?
              2- When do I tend to get angry?
              3- What happens to me physically? (Where do you feel the anger?)
              4- How do I deal with it?
              5- Does what people say control me?

Avoid the battle of the egos- typically when someone's angry an they're showing it like a madman they're really hurt inside and are in need of something. In these situations instead of shouting back and showing that "I'm the boss, I can shout louder than you" it's best to avoid the battle of egos by basically not entertaining them. Don't argue, be the adult in that situation coz they're being the child

Anger = vulnerability and pain

Anger makes you ugly- remember the ugly faced man. Our faces are sooooo ugly when we get angry

Every situation is the qadr of Allah. It's a part of your journey in this Dunya, it's meant to happen. You choose how to react to it
              Last edited by F_R; 04-05-13, 03:43 PM.

لا تفكر كثيرا
              بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Notes from the course I took with him about tazkiyah an self-development (it's literally taken from my notes, randomly so ya);

Everyone uses the deen in a different way

Look at yourself in a mirror, really do that, and once you're done with the vanity period (basically 'checking yourself out' and focusing on your exterior, which also says something about you depending on the length of time your vanity period lasts for) ask yourself who you are at the core. Not your name, age etc but what makes you, you?

We all come with some baggage from jaahiliyah an in the beginning of our islam we're fine coz our Imaan is sky high, we're just getting into the flow of things, but few years later it starts to come out (btw this isn't in reference to sins or previous lifestyles, it's more the emotional and inner side of things). We gotta therefore bring these things out and look at them instead of blocking them all up inside coz it's gonna come out anyway

The heart is the general of the body and the limbs are its soldiers
                Limbs are its soldiers! It's all about the state of the heart
                Our hearts need tawbah, it needs to be washed

Check your heart

Here's a small task;

***Ask someone to write 10 things they like, dislike and would like to see changed in you (I think this has been said above)
                ***Do you talk more or listen more?

Those who tend to talk about themselves usually no-one has listened to them before

There is an underlying reason

Whatever you eyes see, enters your heart

Nafs=ego, selfish. Ruh=pure one.

Your ego is a wild beast, don't tame it (don't block your emotions, it's gonna come out eventually and probably in an inappropriate situation) instead bring it out and fix it! Bring it all out and don't block it. It'll only do damage within and you won't find that inner peace. Bring what's bothering you out and sort it. The first thing is writing it on a paper so it's out of your system.

Allah puts you in a situation which allows you to exercise whichever quality you asked for. If you asked Allah to make you patient, then you're gonna be put in a situation that requires patience.

Thinking and Looking like a Muslim must go Hand in Hand

لا تفكر كثيرا
                بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Masha'Allah, very good thread.

Insha'Allah we can all benefit from it! Especially myself! lol!

Comment

I hope so In Shaa Allah

Just wanted to add that these things are of course easier said than done, it's easy to say 'control our anger' it's easy to say 'speak about things and don't bottle things up', but as with everything it comes with practice and time and over the course of months and years you'll see the effects of it and have some awareness of yourself. It really helps alhamdulilah.

لا تفكر كثيرا
                    بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

When I first saw the title, I thought argh, this namby pamby stuff, I hate looking at myself because then I start hating me

Ive never understood those people who go omg just read that new self help book or went to this 'find yourself' course/classes

but anyways 10 mins in to the video, i love the guys analogies and his voice is calm so I guess I could listen to it but in short bursts
                      Last edited by Fairy; 05-12-13, 08:41 PM.
                      My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
                      ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’
                      “Once you are real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Comment

Originally posted by Fairy View Post
                        When I first saw the title, I thought argh, this namby pamby stuff, I hate looking at myself because then I start hating me

Ive never understood those people who go omg just read that new self help book or went to this 'find yourself' course/classes

but anyways 10 mins in to the video, i love the guys analogies and his voice is calm so I guess I could listen to it but in short bursts

Ima read ur notes now!!
                        *clears throat* there's absolutely nothing with such individuals, cognitive thinking books too are wonderful, nlp as well. Library is a beautiful place.

Enjoy fairypie! Don't be afraid of discovering who you really are. It's shocking and scary at first an like he says you could be on Tesco and start crying coz you realised something about yourself (yep it happens but it's all for a good reason) but its part of the journey an the sooner we hop on the bandwagon the better it is for our emotional quality of life.

لا تفكر كثيرا
                        بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                          *clears throat* there's absolutely nothing with such individuals, cognitive thinking books too are wonderful, nlp as well. Library is a beautiful place.

Enjoy fairypie! Don't be afraid of discovering who you really are. It's shocking and scary at first an like he says you could be on Tesco and start crying coz you realised something about yourself (yep it happens but it's all for a good reason) but its part of the journey an the sooner we hop on the bandwagon the better it is for our emotional quality of life.
                          Just because I dont get it, doesnt mean there is something wrong with those people

I just never understood how a self help book could motivate you

I look at you and you are such an inspiration, learning all these languages, setting goals, truly i have given up on life and setting goals. im such a half arsed person

Im afraid to think and reflect, because it will prob upset me and itll open up a can of worms and i bet by the time ive ended the vid, someone might ask me the time and i will prob go WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
                          My ♥ only lets الله‎ in
                          ‘O Allah, forgive me, have mercy upon me, guide me, give me health and grant me sustenance.’

Comment

Originally posted by Fairy View Post

Im afraid to think and reflect, because it will prob upset me and itll open up a can of worms and i bet by the time ive ended the vid, someone might ask me the time and i will prob go WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
                            Awww it's okay (dunno why my eyes are getting to teary, maan I shed too many tears both happy and sad :/ )

Trust me, after that waaaaaaaaaaahhhh you'll feel lighter because an inner burden has been lifted. No joke. It's what the heart needs, it needs reliefff

لا تفكر كثيرا
                            بل استغفر كثيرا

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                              Awww it's okay (dunno why my eyes are getting to teary, maan I shed too many tears both happy and sad :/ )

Trust me, after that waaaaaaaaaaahhhh you'll feel lighter because an inner burden has been lifted. No joke. It's what the heart needs, it needs reliefff
                              just reading ur previous posts

u are such a valuable online friend to have ...amazing stuff...RE post 7 and 8
                              My ♥ only lets الله‎ in

Comment

Working...
                              X