Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the cure for mental disorders in Islam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the cure for mental disorders in Islam?

Are the people who suffer from mental disorders, cursed, hated by Allah and directly thrown into the hell fire?

I don't think Mental Disorders is a Trial or a Test, how could this be a test if your mind is not functioning properly?

If there are no cure for mental illness, then what's the point of their existence?

It's sad because these people are often called ''Useless, worthless human beings who have no point in humanity''

Re: What's the cure for mental disorders in Islam?

you mean people with real mental disorders or self created "disorders" that you think you have?

you have no mental disorder bro .... "social anxiety" is something that can be overcome ...
    Last edited by Talwaar; 22-04-13, 10:15 PM.
    How dare they challenge me with their primitive skills? They're just as good as dead

Comment

Why isn't it a trial or test? Of course it is. The pen is lifted for the one who is not sane.

It is a medical problem like any other disease. Therefore they need appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

Comment

You seem to misunderstand what mental illness is. It is not a curse, in fact people who suffer from 'lunacy' are not held accountable for their actions because they are no longer in control of their faculties. 'Lunacy' is the translation of the word in a hadith about this so I guess it could also translate as psychosis/dementia etc but that's just a guess you'd have to ask a scholar for a more detailed meaning of the hadith. So first of all it is not a curse.

Secondly there are several different types of mental illness. Even depression and social anxiety disorder come under the category of mental illness but they do not cause a person to lose mental faculties so this is different and a person would still be held accountable for their actions who has this condition (eg if you have depression and kill someone you are still put on trial because you're still sane). There are some mental illnesses that are caused by sihr in which case it can be treated with ruqya and then maybe by the permission of Allah (swt) the person can be cured. There are also some psychiatric illnesses that can be caused by an infection in the brain such as mycoplasma or Treponema pallidum (syphillis) and these are treatable in which case certain antibiotics can help the sufferer regain mental faculties, but sadly in cases of psychiatric illness that are not attributable to infection or sihr- these are usually incurable.

Another category of psychiatric illness are those illnesses that are caused by abuse or trauma. They can sometimes require years of rehabilitation and in some cases the person is permanently psychologically damaged. So mental illnesses can really vary depending on the cause and type.

Even if a person is not in control of faculties and is not held to account by Allah (swt)- but the illness is still a test for the rest of us and we would be held to account for how we treat a person with such a condition and being ill does not mean that they are not deserving of compassion or care.
        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by Talwaar View Post
          you mean people with real mental disorders or self created "disorders" that you think you have?

you have no mental disorder bro .... "social anxiety" is something that can be overcome ...
          You don't know me personally so enough of these judgements

Comment

The mental deficiency like downsyndrome or the likes is a mercy from Allah as those who are afflicted with these are granted Jannah without questioning as is a child who dies before the age of maturity

Comment

In a hadith it was narrated that a pen that recording deeds were lifted from 3 persons : a child until s/he reaches puberty, a sleeping person until s/he wakes up, and an insane until he's sane. So if an insane do a sin, his sin will not be recorded because he's not conscious on what he do. This is mercy Allah shows to the insane.

If you look into history, it was Ibn Sina who studied psychiatry centuries before Carl Jung, and he was a founding father of the first mental hospital in Islamic Caliphate -- which concept later emulated by the West because it's really humane and rational. He had used scientific methods to diagnose an insanity, while the Europeans in his era, burned alive the insanes thinking they were possessed by devil or agents of devil.

So if you have problem with this mental disorder, sorry but praying and ruqyah alone might be not enough.

Here;s one website providing alternative medicine for mental disorder :
              www.biochemimbal-behavior.com/
              :GB_bonesrock:
              And all the heavens go their way.... And only change is here to stay...

Comment

I think this thread would be incomplete without my reply, so here it comes.....

Hello everyone, dont get bothered with my nick, its a bit misleading......i joined this forum few months back because i was suffering from extreme depression and anxiety, the reasons for that are many but one is more core than others......

I am autistic

I have lived much of my life being insulted by my abusive father, being taunted by my classmates and so on....i almost gave up on life and if i am alive today then believe me it is a miracle, i thought about suicide so many times but here i am.....still alive.....
                I always ask Allah why it made me different, and i still ask but all i can do is be patient.......
                I hope someday all my questions will be answered...

Comment

JazakAllah khayr for your reply chatfanatic it's very helpful. Although it's true, it would seem like a cliche if I just said to you that Allah (swt) made you different "as a test", but also I think to a large extent such a condition is just as much a test for the people around you, a test of their sabr and shukr (whether they are still patient and thankful for all they have). Perhaps these difficulties in your life will become a form of expiation which will mean that your hardships in this life will lead to more blessings and bliss in the next life- but it's highly likely that you'd forfeit and lose those blessings if you committed suicide as that is very sinful.

I find it very sad that your father mistreats you but it's not just because you are different, it is perhaps also because he is lacking the ability to accept that you are different and if that is the case then it means he is the one with the problem, not you. All I can advise is that whatever you do, always stay away from sins and seek guidance from Allah (swt) and from the Quran and Sunnah regarding how you conduct your life and inshaAllah it'll be a means to help you cope with your surroundings as well as a means to gain more blessings inshaAllah.
                  The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Thanks, i agree with you....my family has seen tough times because of me especially my mom...i didnt wanted it this way but it was, may allah bless them my family especially my mother in the best manner possible....

you are right again, my father is also very abusive with my mother, he seems to enjoy teasing his own and i know for sure he will never change....i cant mention the difficulties i have faced in this limited space but i just hope that you and other brothers and sisters at this forum understand.....
                    Lastly all i can say is that i just hope that all of you pray for me, i still go through severe anxiety and depression and your prayer for this anonymous brother of yours really help....i recently exchanged messages with a person named "sister" in this forum and i felt good about myself, i see that there are those who would help you just for the pleasing of Allah and "sister" was a good example of that...i hope to find others like her....

Comment

Originally posted by chatfanatic88 View Post
                      Thanks, i agree with you....my family has seen tough times because of me especially my mom...i didnt wanted it this way but it was, may allah bless them my family especially my mother in the best manner possible....

you are right again, my father is also very abusive with my mother, he seems to enjoy teasing his own and i know for sure he will never change....i cant mention the difficulties i have faced in this limited space but i just hope that you and other brothers and sisters at this forum understand.....
                      Lastly all i can say is that i just hope that all of you pray for me, i still go through severe anxiety and depression and your prayer for this anonymous brother of yours really help....i recently exchanged messages with a person named "sister" in this forum and i felt good about myself, i see that there are those who would help you just for the pleasing of Allah and "sister" was a good example of that...i hope to find others like her....
                      Its really saddening to read about your situation, its hard to believe that there are some parents who can treat their own kids in such a shameful way. Please never ever blame yourself about your fathers actions and never think about suicide, just be strong and remember Allah tests his slaves whom he loves the most. May Allah take away all your pain and give you happiness and success in this life and the hereafter.

Comment

Working...
                      X