Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is cheese haram ?

As salaamu alaykum

Just want to know if cheese products are haram ??

Re: Is cheese haram ?

:wswrwb:

Cheese is halal, however, theres a difference of opinions among scholars as to whether or not the cheese must be obtained from an animal slaughtered according to shariah. So, halal cow that is slaughtered properly, the enzymes obtained from that to get cheese is halal. But if the enzyme is obtained from an animal that wasn't slaughtered properly or from a dead animal, this is where the difference of opinion comes in.

I researched this a while ago. Someone please correct me if i am wrong.
    ***Reminder- It was narrated from ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood that RasulAllah :saw: said: Whoever reads Tabaarak allaathi bi yadihi’l-mulk [i.e., Soorat al-Mulk] every night, Allaah will protect him from the torment of the grave.
    And never think that Allah is unaware of what the wrongdoers do. He only delays them for a Day when eyes will stare [in horror]. [Quran, 14:42]

Comment

So should I just stick to vegetarian cheese just to be on the safe side ?

Comment

Why would it be haraam
        -pray:

Comment

Some cheese has rennet, like some Parmesan; so just have a quick look at the ingredients
          O you who have believed, if you obey those who disbelieve, they will turn you back on your heels, and you will [then] become losers.

Comment

Mozarella is usually renet free..

Comment

Cheese is made by adding a type of rennet to milk. There are two types of cheese: the type that is made with vegetarian rennet is halal. For example, my mum sometimes makes cottage cheese by adding lemon juice to expired milk and cooking it until it turns to cheese- in this case the lemon juice is used as a type of vegetarian rennet.

The other type of cheese is made with rennet that comes from a cow's stomach so many have said that using the animal rennet would make the cheese haraam. It is a difference of opinion issue depending on which school of thought you follow as some consider using cheese or whey protein etc (that is often found in flavoured crisps and other products as well as cheese) is haram and others believe it is halal.
              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

What's wrong with chess ?
                'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

Originally posted by Peacenik View Post
                  What's wrong with chess ?
                  Bad for your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
                    Bad for your eyes.
                    Turn down your contrast.
                    'Nor say of anything,"I shall be sure to do so and so tomorrow" without adding, " if Allah (SWT) Wills" (18:23-24)

QuranExplorer.com, where you can Listen to the Holy Recitation and Translation online in Arabic and English : http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/ :)

Comment

Parmesan is definitely haram. it's certified that it can't be made without animal rennet, so it can't be used.

others don't know much about, but most are usually fine
                      DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME.

Comment

:salams

Is Cheese Halal or Haram? The Question of Rennet

In the Hanafi School, rennet obtained from an animal slaughtered by a non-Muslim or Muslim in accordance with Islamic law or contrary to it, in all cases is permissible, as long as the animal in question is not a pig.

Cheese made with animal rennet other than a pig source is halal. The fuqaha explain, however, that it is better to avoid whenever reasonably possible when its source is unknown because of the difference of opinion between the Sunni schools of fiqh regarding its permissibility and the doubt therein.
                        "O friend, the cloth from which your burial shroud will be cut may have already reached the market and you remain unaware." Imam al-Ghazali R.A.

GOOD MANNERS

Comment

i've never heard of pig rennet being used. is pig rennet ever used in these products? i thought animal rennet was from cows. If parmesan is always made with animal rennet- how about pecorino? I'd like to know about viable alternatives.
                          The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
                            i've never heard of pig rennet being used. is pig rennet ever used in these products? i thought animal rennet was from cows. If parmesan is always made with animal rennet- how about pecorino? I'd like to know about viable alternatives.
                            yes pig ingredients are sometimes used
                            some cheeses are certified kosher, so that is a viable alternative

Comment

... they have to slaughter animals to make cheese???

Comment

Working...
                              X