• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Macaroni/Pasta?!

:salams

I hope this is the right section, it says Food in the forum description :o

Okay, so I was hoping our ummah chefs could help me with something. :D

Whenever I make pasta or macaroni and cheese (or any other sauce), and then I put it in the fridge for later, whenever it's heated up again it is bland, flavorless and dry/sticky without that saucy goodness to it anymore. Even if I add milk, it's still not saucy, just kind of soggy and not as flavorful as it was when I made it.

Is there any way to get around this at all? Do you have any tips or tricks to spice it up again after it's been chilled? I really dislike to waste food and I don't like throwing it out because nobody will eat it. (I've already checked google which is why I'm asking here)

:jkk: for any replies

Re: Help with Macaroni/Pasta?!

whenever i make pasta i always make extra sauce and freeze it in the freezer. its good to have on hand and you can add a little bit extra to your leftover pasta

have you tried adding more sauce to it once you reheat it? and never use a microwave for heating up pasta-that will dry it out within seconds.
    i add a little bid of boiling water and some extra sauce (taken from the freezer) and heat it up

Comment

Originally posted by OnThePath View Post
      whenever i make pasta i always make extra sauce and freeze it in the freezer. its good to have on hand and you can add a little bit extra to your leftover pasta

have you tried adding more sauce to it once you reheat it? and never use a microwave for heating up pasta-that will dry it out within seconds.
      i add a little bid of boiling water and some extra sauce (taken from the freezer) and heat it up
      :jkk: I will try this

Comment

Try rinsing the macaroni with cold water first. Extra glutens may agglutinate or "jelly up" after the food has cooled. Rinse the macaroni until the draining water is no longer cloudy.

I second Adding a little extra sauce is also a great idea

Comment

We made Mac n cheese today as well, it tasted horrible by the evening! That's the first time we tried making it, so I don't have any advice.
          Nothing is impossible with Allah:o

Comment

re-heat it in a saucepan, not the microwave and if you have any of the water in which you boiled your pasta, use that to loosen up the sauce.
            You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

I actually wanted to ask this. How do you make macaroni and cheese with all its creamy sauce and what not. I am not a chef so would like the simplest way of doing it. Am going to be spending a few days on my own with the kids and need to survive to proof to the wife that I can do it.
              Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

Youtube is a lifesaver if you are completely clueless.
                You are not aware of the consequences that would result (if you were granted what you desire) because what you seek might be to your detriment. (O soul) be conscious that your Master is more aware about your well-being than you are.

~Ibn Al-Jawzee

Comment

DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebony View Post
                    re-heat it in a saucepan, not the microwave and if you have any of the water in which you boiled your pasta, use that to loosen up the sauce.
                    :jkk:

Originally posted by InTheBegining View Post
                    I actually wanted to ask this. How do you make macaroni and cheese with all its creamy sauce and what not. I am not a chef so would like the simplest way of doing it. Am going to be spending a few days on my own with the kids and need to survive to proof to the wife that I can do it.
                    This is easy/fast, but not as fast as macaroni from a box (which doesn't taste very good).

Cheese sauce (10 mins): http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ched...0400000120227/

You can boil your noodles while you're making the sauce. This page goes into detail about how to make it the perfect consistency. http://lifehacker.com/5805897/how-to...asta-correctly

Originally posted by Nashmia View Post
                    it depends on the cheese you're adding. you need to add more than one kind and tightly sea lit when storing in the fridge:
                    It happens with every type of cheese or sauce that I use :( Whenever it's chilled and heated again, it's sticky and dry. But thanks for the recipe I'll try it :jkk:

Comment

Try re-heating in the oven instead of microwave.

Comment

Originally posted by FatFreeMilk View Post
                        Try rinsing the macaroni with cold water first. Extra glutens may agglutinate or "jelly up" after the food has cooled. Rinse the macaroni until the draining water is no longer cloudy.

I second Adding a little extra sauce is also a great idea
                        Yes, the cold water will help you, also try a quick toss with olive oil after the rinse.

Comment

With mac and cheese, i add cream cheese and we can eat it until it finishes which is sometimes 3 days.
                          Well why dont you put some of the recipe's you do in here and maybe we can help you tweak it a bit, so that it does last since i normally find other pasta sauces taste better the next day.

Ooo i see something, your cheese sauce doesnt require you to make a roux, thats the best way to start a cheese sauce.

I actually boil the pasta first and then make the cheese sauce in the same pot after the pasta is done because then the pasta is not to hot or wet.
                          Last edited by Umm-Aaliyah; 23-03-13, 10:54 AM. Reason: adding observations
                          O you who have believed, if you obey those who disbelieve, they will turn you back on your heels, and you will [then] become losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Umm-Aaliyah View Post
                            With mac and cheese, i add cream cheese and we can eat it until it finishes which is sometimes 3 days.
                            Well why dont you put some of the recipe's you do in here and maybe we can help you tweak it a bit, so that it does last since i normally find other pasta sauces taste better the next day.

Ooo i see something, your cheese sauce doesnt require you to make a roux, thats the best way to start a cheese sauce.

I actually boil the pasta first and then make the cheese sauce in the same pot after the pasta is done because then the pasta is not to hot or wet.
                            I don't use roux for myself but I do use it when cooking for others. Either way, once i chill it, its sticky and dry without any flavor. I suppose I could just make more sauce after I heat the noodles.

Comment

I think its the roux that makes the sauce, I think it gives it a nice consistency and if butter is the reason you dont make a roux you can substitute it with oil.

I have had grated cheddar cheese mixed into my sauces and it hasn't always come out the best and is always taste worse after being left in the fridge
                              O you who have believed, if you obey those who disbelieve, they will turn you back on your heels, and you will [then] become losers.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X