Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you respond to "Islam is a depressing religion"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you respond to "Islam is a depressing religion"?

A non-Muslim acquintance of mine believes at islam is a depressing religion. She says that "Muslims cant do anything fun, pray all the time, have to fast, dont sing in church, and islam is depressing". What woul you say in response?

Re: How would you respond to "Islam is a depressing religion"?

I would respond with I may not be able to do "fun" things I would literally use the quote gesture , but nothing brings me more pleasure and peace than when I pray and fast and do all the the things Islam is about. Sure sometimes it's hard to not do those things but it's like saving money on quick thrills and buying something that is bigger and better and lasts forever

Comment

Originally posted by hajjhope2013 View Post
      A non-Muslim acquintance of mine believes at islam is a depressing religion. She says that "1) Muslims cant do anything fun, 2)pray all the time, 3)have to fast, 4) dont sing in church, 5)and islam is depressing". What woul you say in response?
      1) If by fun He/She means party, alchohol drugs etc...than they are correct.

2) Pray all the time? not really, pray 5 times a day each of them consists of maybe 5-10 minutes. 25-50minutes a day praying. that is 1/24.

3) Yes, we do.

4) we don't go to churches, we go to Mosques/Masjids

5) You aren't a Muslim how can you reach that conclusion? We are Muslims and we don't think this. if anything Islam has removed our depression.
      "O friend, the cloth from which your burial shroud will be cut may have already reached the market and you remain unaware." Imam al-Ghazali R.A.

GOOD MANNERS

Comment

Last edited by Ridwaaan; 25-02-13, 01:34 AM. Reason: pointless

Comment

A non-Muslim acquintance of mine believes at islam is a depressing religion. She says that "Muslims cant do anything fun, pray all the time, have to fast, dont sing in church, and islam is depressing". What woul you say in response?
          I kinda think the same...:S

Comment

Last edited by lefty_1; 25-02-13, 01:37 AM. Reason: posted twice

Comment

Originally posted by Ridwaaan View Post
              Originally posted by lefty_1 View Post
              ^ This is a very common response c'mon guys wheres the love for the Deen :)

Comment

Just tell that "pray all time" means that you should remain in touch with God, nothing is wrong with fasting, since you have food every other time, and mosque is the holy place for Muslims, not Church.

Comment

I was trying to explain to her that fasting helps us to feel what those less fortunate than us feel when hungry and to appreicate the food we do have. She rolled her eyes. She said then why not donate food/money to the hungry/poor. I had to explain to her that muslims do donate money.

Comment

I guess its pretty depressing to be chosen by Allah, The One, The Only, The Creator, All-Merciful, All-Wise, to praise and thank him, to worship, to strive for Jannah, to have Imaan... to know your purpose in life.

People get so happy if the President sent an invitation to meet with them in the white house, but here we are invited by the King of all Kings!

Comment

"Verily , in the remembrance of Allah, do hearts find rest." (13:28)
                      The connection we as muslims have with our Lord, is more precious then this world. This is the way we find true happiness through our worship . "Fun " in this life is but temporary....so we really aren't missing out. One can't base their opinion on something they have no knowledge in.

Comment

That's subjective. I actually enjoy praying, fasting and reading the Qur'an. :)

I love hockey, eating and other worldy things, but those are not important in the long run. On Judgment Day, God is not going ask "How many likes did you get on Facebook?" or "How many songs did you sing at summer-camp?".
                        "Wert thou to follow the common run of those on earth, they will lead thee away from the way of Allah. They follow nothing but conjecture: they do nothing but lie." (surah 6:116)

Comment

hell is pretty depressing too. it's also depressing thinking of generations and generations of people insisting on their ways for their meager pleasures, while the bounty that awaits the believers is eternal and of a greater magnitude.

Comment

define fun?

if fun is doing something you enjoy then im guessing every muslim enjoys being a muslim or theyd leave.

There are two kinds of pride, both good and bad. 'Good pride' represents our dignity and self-respect. 'Bad pride' is the deadly sin of superiority that reeks of conceit and arrogance.

Comment

Originally posted by SILURES View Post
                              define fun?

if fun is doing something you enjoy then im guessing every muslim enjoys being a muslim or theyd leave.
                              Fun to her means shopping, dining, spending time with friends. Just common everyday secular stuff- movies and music. She think muslims just pray all day and are strict but muslims still get to spend time with friends and family, but unlike secular people, muslims also have a spiritual life.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X