Health conscious well into Old Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health conscious well into Old Age

My mom (who is in her 70s) always insists on doing things the hard way; walking, carrying things, staying active, eating healthy, ect. She always says people use being "old" as an excuse to be lazy, and that we don't die "till God wants us". I was talking to her about the late Jack LaLanne, so she brought two people to my attention and I thought I'd share.

====> Charles Eugster, 91 years oldYour body can be rebuilt at any age- and your life transformed!" "Chronic disease is rampant in old age resulting in such enormous medical costs that should present trends continue, together with the diabetes pandemic, some countries could become bankrupt. Diabetes is already an international public health issue and inactivity is one of the biggest killers. The loss of wasted human potential and wealth is already immense. Successful aging requires work, diet and exercise."

====> Ernestine Shepherd, 74 years old:
    "But less than 20 years ago, she was a pudgy, middle-aged woman who hated what she saw in the dressing room mirror as she tried on swimsuit after swimsuit. "I was too prissy to exercise," she said. "I just didn't want to have my hair messed up. Didn't want my fingernails broken."

"There is no shortcut to having a healthy body"Observe the fast sometimes and also leave them (the fast) at other times; stand up for the prayer at night and also sleep at night. Your body has a right over you, your eyes have a right over you and your wife has a right over you." [Bukhari 7:127]

On the authority of Al-Miqdaam ibn Maadiy-Karib who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah saying: "No human ever filled a vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Aadam are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his breath." [Ahmad, At-Tirmidhee, An-Nasaa'ee, Ibn Maajah - hadeeth saheeh.]

These people did it to please themselves, of course; but as Muslims, if we intend to keep healthy the body that Allah has trusted us with, then InshaAllah we might be rewarded for that.

Re: Health conscious well into Old Age

My mom's grandma, my great gradma passed away in 2011. She was in her 80's. She single handedly took care of acres and acres of land, took care of 150 huge trees she planted 50 years ago, walked miles and miles every week to this town and that town to keep contact with people and help them out. She had no teeth but had a bite. She could do hard labour more than the young ones.

This is all when she was in her 70s and all the way to her 80's. That was one health concious woman.

May Allah SWT have mercy on her, ameen
    "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

The Hunger of the Salaf

Comment

Alhumdulilah sister your mother has an excellent attitude towards health and life in general. May Allah Subhana T'Allah bless her always and keep a place for her in Jannah. Blessings to all mothers, nuff love and respect.
        He who loses money, loses much.

He who loses a friend, loses more.

He who loses faith, loses ALL.

Comment

InshaAllah this is my aim too.

My grandfather is well in his 90s (he's actually older than what is stated in his ID, because back then they didn't really knew the year when he was born, so when he registered they just estimated his age) and alhamdulillah still busy as ever. He drives on his own, takes care of his business, goes to meeting and mosque, etc. My mother too is still very active, she's stronger than I am in fact :rotfl:, and she's in her 60s now. People always mistake her age, plus she is just around my size. My father has only started taking better care of his health a few years ago after he was admitted to the hospital. Alhamdulillah he's doing well now then he was, and will be going for out our daily morning run in a few more minutes inshaAllah.

Our body is an amanah, and there really is nothing to lose if we take good care of our health. Sadly most people I know have a very sedentary lifestyle and don't really pay much attention to what they eat. Somehow they assume that a thin/average sized body means that they're doing ok and safe from health problems :/

Comment

Originally posted by shezad View Post
            Alhumdulilah sister your mother has an excellent attitude towards health and life in general. May Allah Subhana T'Allah bless her always and keep a place for her in Jannah. Blessings to all mothers, nuff love and respect.
            :jkk: bro/sis, I agree, mothers are amazing :inlove:
            My mom is not a Muslim (yet), but may Allah grant your dua and guide her to Islam, amin.

Originally posted by geeksupremo View Post
            InshaAllah this is my aim too.

My grandfather is well in his 90s (he's actually older than what is stated in his ID, because back then they didn't really knew the year when he was born, so when he registered they just estimated his age) and alhamdulillah still busy as ever. He drives on his own, takes care of his business, goes to meeting and mosque, etc. My mother too is still very active, she's stronger than I am in fact :rotfl:, and she's in her 60s now. People always mistake her age, plus she is just around my size. My father has only started taking better care of his health a few years ago after he was admitted to the hospital. Alhamdulillah he's doing well now then he was, and will be going for out our daily morning run in a few more minutes inshaAllah.

Our body is an amanah, and there really is nothing to lose if we take good care of our health. Sadly most people I know have a very sedentary lifestyle and don't really pay much attention to what they eat. Somehow they assume that a thin/average sized body means that they're doing ok and safe from health problems :/
            May Allah make him live to 120 :) he sounds amazing

http://www.themarysue.com/dr-leila-daughtry-denmark/
            "Dr. Leila Daughtry Denmark celebrated her 114 birthday on February 1 of this year. She was an amazing woman who did pioneering work with whooping cough and was still a practicing pediatrician at age 103. That officially made her the oldest doctor in the world to be doing so. Sadly, Denmark passed away over the weekend at her home in Athens, Georgia. Read on for her story. "

"The doctor also had the type of personality I imagine (or wish) all little old ladies to have. At the age of 100 she told People magazine, ”When a mother asks, ‘Doctor, what makes my baby so bad?’” she was likely to answer, “Go look in the mirror. You get apples off apple trees.

Comment

Allah-humma ah-yini ma kaanatil hayaatu khairall-lee wa tawaff-fani i-dha kaanatil wa faato khai-rall-lee.
              Translation: O Allah, keep me alive so long as it is in my best interest and give me death when it is in my best interest.

http://www.themodernreligion.com/basic/pray/duas.html

Comment

my great nan is 90 this year, alhamdulilah she has stayed active through older age. :)
                she always goes out, looks after her house, garden cleaning etc...

age doesnt mean you cant do much. :)
                Miracles can only happen when Allaah has planned them for you... Dont spend life dreaming, spend life believing that Allaah will give you nothing but the best In shaa Aallaah
                https://www.facebook.com/ajourneytothetruth
                http://www.youtube.com/aishahalmuminah

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X